Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:12 AM   #1
RoteLaterne
Major Leagues

Diamond League has been some great time

It has been 3 great season in a Diamond League.

Now I get relegated and find myself back again at Golden Level.
Never invested any real money and after getting DonkeyKongSr's sheet I moved all the way upt to Diamond League level real quick.

I now have an average offensive team, but dead last defensively.
I always opted to go with the highest wOBP.
My biggest mistake was to not find a balance between offense und defensive ratings.

Man, tough to stay in Diamond League with a preference like this.
Good players off & def are unbelievable costly for players not investung real money.

Where do you find your balance between D and O? Average on both ends?

Last edited by RoteLaterne; 10-06-2019 at 08:13 AM.
RoteLaterne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

ONE great player can change a team. Find a nucleus and build around him. For me, it was drawing George Sisler 84 card in a pack from Challenge Mode. Over the next few months, I chipped away a bit here and a bit there. Two days ago, I finished the Orioles/Browns mission...with a Free to Play team.

Bid aggressively & snipe auctions. DON'T get attached to any players that stop performing. If your Diamond card isn't producing and he's not part of a mission—sell him. Theme teams are fun, but rarely win at higher levels. Focus on defense, and avoid guys that hit 35 HR while batting below the Mendoza Line. Save money by keeping some Bronze cards as your defensive backups. Aparicio's Bronze card is an infield God, and can be taught any infield position to 90+, and as a defensive replacement is the best under 500 points player you'll find. I'm currently testing to see if he can learn Catcher due to his arm strength.

My results? I've won as high as Diamond World Series, and a Division in Perfect...never won a Perfect WS...yet.

Also, remember the immortal words of Chuck Tanner: "There are three secrets to managing. The first secret is have patience. The second is be patient. And the third most important secret is patience."

Good luck to you. Look forward to seeing you in Diamond again.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
getalife1798
Minors (Single A)

I honestly don't care about defense that much. Give me a lineup full of contact hitters that are solid base runners.

OOTP21

OOTP20

getalife1798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
ONE great player can change a team. Find a nucleus and build around him. For me, it was drawing George Sisler 84 card in a pack from Challenge Mode. Over the next few months, I chipped away a bit here and a bit there. Two days ago, I finished the Orioles/Browns mission...with a Free to Play team.
I fully disagree with this assessment. As a FTP player with 5 teams in perfect, building around one single player is a mistake. This isn't basketball, you need your entire team to function in order to be successful. I see people regularly having 100 Big Walt or something and then a really mediocre team quality around him. Look at Mike Trout's Angels if you want an example IRL.

The biggest key between good and poor players is, in my opinion, building around park factors. If you don't give yourself an edge to win at home, you're throwing wins away.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:05 PM   #5
dbqs
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
I fully disagree with this assessment. As a FTP player with 5 teams in perfect, building around one single player is a mistake. This isn't basketball, you need your entire team to function in order to be successful. I see people regularly having 100 Big Walt or something and then a really mediocre team quality around him. Look at Mike Trout's Angels if you want an example IRL.

The biggest key between good and poor players is, in my opinion, building around park factors. If you don't give yourself an edge to win at home, you're throwing wins away.
Yup. My FTP pack-only team has Trout, no Diamonds, a bunch of middling golds and silver players to support. (Been some weird luck over ~85 packs.) They just got spat down to Bronze after a bad year in Silver. They're pretty much the IRL Angels.

I agree with the park factors hint, find a common thread between some of your good cards (good power lefties, good groundball pitchers/defensive players, etc.) and sell off the ones that don't fit into your paradigm to fill in the gaps.

dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #6
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Yep, absolutely if you want to move forward, you need to decide what you want your team to look like. Adjust your park to favor that plan and you can find some bargains that fit your park that wouldn't work in a standard ballpark. As an example, Garry Maddox has great defense and contact and gap but no power or eye. If you tilt your ballpark to avoid HRs and pump up doubles and triples, he can hit better and his defense will help you mitigate that on the other end. He isnt super cheap, but there are similar cards at lower price points with slightly less numbers you can use instead if you can't afford him. The key is focusing on one way of playing and building your team with that idea in mind. If you have some guys like McGwire and other guys like Maddox, its hard to leverage your park to help both of them
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:20 AM   #7
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

You...

Quote:

missed the part where I said "build around him." One great player is your anchor. You still need the ship, or the anchor is useless.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #8
RoteLaterne
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
Focus on defense, and avoid guys that hit 35 HR while batting below the Mendoza Line. (...) Good luck to you. Look forward to seeing you in Diamond again.
Many thanks for your advice. Really appreciate that.

Quote:
So, a smaller ballpark will benefit my current team that is good on offense?

This screenshot pretty much sums up my mess right now.
Attached Images

Last edited by RoteLaterne; 10-10-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
dbqs
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteLaterne View Post
Many thanks for your advice. Really appreciate that.

So, a smaller ballpark will benefit my current team that is good on offense?

This screenshot pretty much sums up my mess right now.
I have the half-baked idea that maybe you could run a team with a lot of high power guys in a park with really bad HR factors and it'd work. Like if they've got max power, they're still gonna be hitting HRs anyway, maybe it'll more affect the players with merely "good" power.

I'm not sure if that is actually how it would work. But it also seems to me like having a power-friendly park with a bunch of sluggers will just be overkill and bump up the stats of a less power-hungry team that's visiting anyway. Like wouldn't putting Joey Gallo in Coors Field be overkill when putting guys like Trevor Story and Charlie Blackmon in Coors Field makes them hit a bunch of HRs too?

Maybe someone with a better understanding of how park factors and the ratings influence things can debunk that.

dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbqs View Post
I have the half-baked idea that maybe you could run a team with a lot of high power guys in a park with really bad HR factors and it'd work. Like if they've got max power, they're still gonna be hitting HRs anyway, maybe it'll more affect the players with merely "good" power.

I'm not sure if that is actually how it would work. But it also seems to me like having a power-friendly park with a bunch of sluggers will just be overkill and bump up the stats of a less power-hungry team that's visiting anyway. Like wouldn't putting Joey Gallo in Coors Field be overkill when putting guys like Trevor Story and Charlie Blackmon in Coors Field makes them hit a bunch of HRs too?

Maybe someone with a better understanding of how park factors and the ratings influence things can debunk that.
Nah, I think you're overthinking it. Park factors should be adjusted to suit your team's strengths.

Think of it this way. It's probably not as simple as this, but it's logical enough:

100 POW hitter in a 1.1 HR park = 110 POW hitter (100 x 1.1 = 110)
50 POW hitter in a 1.1 HR park = 55 POW hitter (50 x 1.1 = 55)

The first is a net benefit of 10 points, the second is a net benefit of 5 points. The first is better. Your half-baked idea would only hurt you, and benefit Contact teams that come to your park.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #11
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbqs View Post

Yeah, I doubt that would work. The idea with park factors is to maximize your strengths and minimize your weaknesses. That would seem to be doing the opposite.

It's helpful I think to consider the contact vs power axis as mutually exclusive skillsets. In reality, that's not true, but with park factors there is definitely an incentive to build a team with skills tilted towards one extreme or the other. So the effective strategy IMO is to pick one and max that factor, and min the opposite one.

If you have a bunch of sluggers, and set your park factor to the minimum for HR, that would be counterproductive. Here's an example:

- The Dodgers in 2019 hit 267 HR over the course of the season
- League average was 186

Let's assume here that Dodger Stadium is neutral, and those homers are purely a matter of skill. I'm just trying to use semi-realistic numbers for the baseline here.

If the Dodgers were to apply a 10% penalty on all home runs from this baseline, at home games, what happens?

- the Dodgers lose 13 HR over the course of the season (267 divided by two because half the games are at home, divided again by 10)
- Their opponents only lose 9 HR over the course of the season (186 / 2 / 10).

So, basically since their baseline was much higher, the percentage modifier hurts more. They would effectively be ceding 4 homers per year to their opponents by changing the park factors.

edit: Argonaut pretty much nailed it above while I was still typing.

Last edited by chazzycat; 10-10-2019 at 07:01 PM.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #12
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

See Argo's great research on pitch types now as well...

Old 10-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #13
comedian2019
Minors (Triple A)

I have been in Diamond after I made it to the playoffs three times in a row, but did not win the WS.

Nine seasons in a row I did not make the playoffs. Once I almost made it with a .500 team. The last several seasons I have done well all season and the faded. This year I am 70-51 with a 9 game lead. I should make the playoffs this season.

I have 30,000PP saved up but I really do not see anyone worth buying/

Pitches are Scott, Verlander, Gibson(the ace), P. Martinez and Larry D.
Offense is JD, G. Kell, T. Davis, Sanguillen, Carew, Trout 100, Cuyler, Machado, Cuylet, Baez, Votto, Cain.

They are 1st in BA and 3rd in OBP. 4th in starters and 2nd in Pen.

Benefit of being demoted, is your team is probably better than the others in your league.
comedian2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #14
RoteLaterne
Major Leagues

Pls don't blame me, but these ballpark factors and ideas on how to edit them to benefit my current team, is a bit too difficult to understand for me.

So, as my team is very good on offense but sucks on defense, how should my ballpark look like?
See my current ballpark ...
Attached Images

Last edited by RoteLaterne; 10-12-2019 at 07:17 AM.