Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:37 AM   #101
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

I agree with calling them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
I don't know Ty. I'm torn on revealing people on auctions. I'm not a huge fan of limiting prices either.

I have a stalker here who thinks I like to call people out but in reality I'm insulted by some of these prices. Do they think we're all morons? THAT is what drove the thread. Not so much to control people but to point out the insult to our collective intelligence.
I don’t think limiting prices will be good either. If we have the ability to screen who we do business with, it’ll fix things. You think there aren’t GMs right now getting calls about a certain player and saying to their secretary, “Screw him, Betty. If he calls again, I’m in Montana scouting. If I have to talk to him again today, I won’t ever need to talk to you again...capice?” Immersion...😆

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #102
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Caveat Emptor
The problem is the emptors aren´t caveating at all. All the time you see someone happy to pay two to three times more for a card, I don´t want to say over its value because value is clearly subjective here, but at least over its previous average.
For example, today a 91 Drysdale that had previously been going for 7K or so, was bought for a BIN of 15K. And that goes on all the time. I get that some folks want the cards for missions, but a lot of these cards are simply listed for high prices and people buy them, so we can look forward to the AH being more and more cluttered with this stuff. Perhaps those of us who list players for fair prices are the real dopes.

On another note, the mystery of the 4001 listings has been solved: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=305355

justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #103
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

So there's this diamond Luis Aparicio on the AH for 25K. Is this my big chance? To buy it and re-list for 100K? Always been a dream of mine...

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #104
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
So there's this diamond Luis Aparicio on the AH for 25K. Is this my big chance? To buy it and re-list for 100K? Always been a dream of mine...
Your moment of glory has finally arrived, but you must be bold enough to take it!

Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #105
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpatrick View Post
For example, today a 91 Drysdale that had previously been going for 7K or so, was bought for a BIN of 15K. And that goes on all the time. I get that some folks want the cards for missions, but a lot of these cards are simply listed for high prices and people buy them, so we can look forward to the AH being more and more cluttered with this stuff. Perhaps those of us who list players for fair prices are the real dopes.
What you described is essentially supply and demand in a free market, isn't it? Some people valued the card at 15K post-missions, so they buy them. Other businessman saw that value and they do believe those cards are worth 15K so they list it on that. Whether more of that can be sold at that price depends on other buyers. Who are any of us to proclaim what's price is fair for each card?

Same thing can be said on real life as well. Gamers spend a lot of money on loot boxes, so nowadays games are being more and more cluttered with loot boxes mechanism. Do I like this development? Not really. Do I blame the game devs for making what looks to be a correct business decision? Not really either.

Last edited by Goliathus; 07-20-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #106
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliathus View Post
What you described is essentially supply and demand in a free market, isn't it? Some people valued the card at 15K post-missions, so they buy them. Other businessman saw that value and they do believe those cards are worth 15K so they list it on that. Whether more on that can be sold at that price depends on other buyers. Who are any of us to proclaim what's price is fair for each card?

That's fair enough for sure. It seems the reward for missions rarely exceed the cost of the inflated prices which makes me thing the sellers think I'm a first class idiot. That's my only issue. Plus on free to play teams who are just trying to play baseball and not fake card collecting these inflated prices are a major bummer.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:16 PM   #107
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Problem is, especially with the historic cards, is that there just aren't enough copies of them out there. Way too easy to control the supply and jack up the prices.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #108
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
That's fair enough for sure. It seems the reward for missions rarely exceed the cost of the inflated prices which makes me thing the sellers think I'm a first class idiot. That's my only issue. Plus on free to play teams who are just trying to play baseball and not fake card collecting these inflated prices are a major bummer.
Collection missions have rarely been worth it for the many games I played from an EV perspective. It's really a mechanism that tries to "take advantage"(don't think it's the right word, but I can't think of a better one right now) of a specific customer group known as "collectors", the people who are willing to pay a premium price for something limited or prestigious. Or maybe the "right now spenders" too, there are some people who enjoy having something right this instance and ahead of others, like they buy games on release day, crack a thousand packs in MTGA on first day of a new set release and so on.

The savvy auctioneers clearly know these angles and they are trying to best make a profit out of them. That's just how it is. The sellers don't think you, mcdog512, is a first class idiot. You just aren't their demographic, even if you do care about those cards.

As for free to play teams, well, F2P will always be affected by anything the whales do and mostly in a negative way. The whales will always be more influential to the game, and they kind of deserved that cuz they pay to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Problem is, especially with the historic cards, is that there just aren't enough copies of them out there. Way too easy to control the supply and jack up the prices.
This I agree. They definitely need better drop rate. On the other hand, limiting them might be the right call for the devs cuz pretty much most veterans know non-LIVE > LIVE by now and you really want the drop rate low so the veterans have to crack more packs or buy PP to pay a premium AH price.

Last edited by Goliathus; 07-20-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #109
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who are any of us to proclaim what's price is fair for each card?
That is a question anybody has to answer for themselves, for each card individually.

Easy example. I paid 1k for the 1986 Gary Carter (70). To somebody not trying to complete the 1986 Mets set, the card is certainly not worth 1k. And I am certainly not going to pick up any old historical silver catcher for 1k now...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #110
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
That is a question anybody has to answer for themselves, for each card individually.
Sure, everyone does that, but not everyone go on the board and say "you all should be ashamed of posting/buying Gary Carter at more than 1K PP. You buyers are getting toyed and dragged like a puppet by the sellers and F you sellers, get your shady behind off the market!"
Old 07-21-2019, 05:21 AM   #111
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Sure, everyone does that, but not everyone go on the board and say "you all should be ashamed of posting/buying Gary Carter at more than 1K PP. You buyers are getting toyed and dragged like a puppet by the sellers and F you sellers, get your shady behind off the market!"
Goliathus where do you get that? I don´t see that in this thread at all. For the most part I see people complaining about people cluttering the market listing cards at silly prices in the hope that they can sucker someone into buying them.
Like I said above, I get that some cards are needed for missions, that´s why I said nothing of Cecil Lewis being offered at over double his previous price and if he weren´t my starting second baseman I might jump on that gravy train as well. What a lot of us object to is seeing the mission-led inflation bleeding over to non mission cards, and the annoyance of having the same cards offered at stupid prices over and over again.

That Drysdale I was talking about isn´t needed for a mission and yet someone tried to capitalize on the price hiking frenzy and they were successful, which only makes this happen more frequently. And it certainly makes it more difficult for people trying to build a team.

You are right, it is the free market at work. I don´t want any restrictions or changes, I was simply bemoaning the fact that some buyers aren´t able to show more restraint.

Edit: My apologies to all as I made a mistake in the post above mentioning Drysdale. The average is 9k, not 7, so the original listing of 10k is not so horrid, however he was purchased for the BIN of 15k and now there is one listed for 12999 with a BIN of 14999, so it is a perfect illustration of how impetuous buying affects us all.

Last edited by justpatrick; 07-21-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:27 AM   #112
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Goliathus where do you get that?......so it is a perfect illustration of how impetuous buying affects us all.
I am exaggerating to make a point. Either way, when many people are impetuous buying, we are all f***ed, that's how it is. Unless we restrict this and that, it is pretty much unsolvable. I could go on a thousand words rant about "How if people stop paying for mediocre entertainment products(4-7 out of 10), the world would produce better music, TV shows, movies and games", but well, not like I can stop people from doing anything.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #113
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
I am exaggerating to make a point. Either way, when many people are impetuous buying, we are all f***ed, that's how it is. Unless we restrict this and that, it is pretty much unsolvable. I could go on a thousand words rant about "How if people stop paying for mediocre entertainment products(4-7 out of 10), the world would produce better music, TV shows, movies and games", but well, not like I can stop people from doing anything.
Fair enough, and I totally agree. And I have to admit I just paid 8k for Richie Ashburn 80. Ugh!

Old 07-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #114
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fair enough, and I totally agree. And I have to admit I just paid 8k for Richie Ashburn 80. Ugh!
Nooooo! I need him for the Scullytown Barbers and I want his average price to go down!

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #115
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Guys, enough! My popcorn supply is running low, and I may have to go to GFS soon if you don't stop!!!

Seriously...I'm enjoying the healthy exchange here.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #116
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
Nooooo! I need him for the Scullytown Barbers and I want his average price to go down!
I know, I know, I´m awful, I just couldn´t help it. The more I waited for his stupid price to go down the more it went up. I am weak.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:51 PM   #117
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Next, for your viewing pleasure...

is a fairly skilled defensive center fielder going for a modest 10x his normal value. Landis brings to the table a bat made of softened margarine and a healthy head of hair, neatly trimmed to conform to 50's era military standards.

Good bidding...but if you pay 150K for this guy, I've got a Marv Thronberry I'll list for 200K!

Night, all...
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #118
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Now that the new missions are out we should have some real fun.

By the way, is it wrong to want to buy a guy because you love his nickname?

Old 07-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #119
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Now that the new missions are out we should have some real fun.

By the way, is it wrong to want to buy a guy because you love his nickname?
Nah, seems as sensible as anything else in baseball
Old 07-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #120
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsAintFull View Post
Nah, seems as sensible as anything else in baseball
Well now that the auction is over I will reveal that I really, really wanted Bill Singer, you know, The Singer Throwing Machine. My all time favorite nickname!
Alas it was not to be, as I lost him on an outrageous BIN of 8500, which I know is due to the karma I had sewn with the whole Richie Ashburn episode. I´m hoping if I keep my nose clean it will appease the Gods and Mr Singer may resurface in the near future and finally be mine.