Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #161
KJDelaney
All Star Reserve

OOTP20, we'll see.

On fence.
KJDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #162
TwinsGuy11
Minors (Triple A)

The only other thing I'd want in a baseball game is an in game mode controlling the players.

But it's an annual buy for me. Love it.
TwinsGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #163
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
It used to be. But then computer software customized for the purpose of creating schedules got a lot better, and now I think it's largely done by computer. (At least, that was the case as of some years ago.)

The NFL's schedule is almost entirely built by specialized software. It spits out hundreds of options based on input requirements, and then the league officials select the one they prefer most.

Note that the software for these is highly tailored to the purpose. There's lots of math behind it. The main power of the computer is its ability to crank out hundreds or even thousands of potential schedules based on input variables in a short amount of time. Sooner or later one of those outputs will be satisfactory.
The NFL schedule would be a lot easier if they gave one conference a bye in week #8 and the other conference a bye in week #9.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #164
DanKreider
Minors (Double A)

Common Markus and company, any hints or things coming? Something to keep us hardcores going till we get the updates?? Technically Spring Training has kind of started, with Catchers and Pitchers reporting!
DanKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #165
brettrankin
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKreider View Post
Common Markus and company, any hints or things coming? Something to keep us hardcores going till we get the updates?? Technically Spring Training has kind of started, with Catchers and Pitchers reporting!
I totally agree. I am lookbg forward to hearing this year’s updates.
brettrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #166
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKreider View Post
Common Markus and company, any hints or things coming? )
There is nothing common about Markus and company.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #167
zappa1
All Star Starter

I remember Markus saying a long while back that he'd love to have a Stadium creator for the game. This can be a huge project depending how involved he wants to make it. It could even become a game all by itself. Something like "Sim Ballpark or Stadium" or whatever. Hire a firm to design a park. Hire the builders. Get all the required permits. And in 3 years time there is an announcement that the newly named Stadium will open in the new season. That is if you want to go that far with it. I think it would be really cool. Suppose there was a delay. The builders went on strike? hahaha Also, could make it era friendly depending what decade you want. A 1940s stadium is not going to be too modern. So a whole lot can go into this project. Lots a luck, Markus and developers.

Last edited by zappa1; 02-13-2019 at 06:12 PM.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:10 PM   #168
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
The NFL schedule would be a lot easier if they gave one conference a bye in week #8 and the other conference a bye in week #9.
Probably not preferable for television reasons — having a slate of games from each conference available for national broadcast is likely a desired item.

In terms of schedule creation, the following quote from the book Pro Football Schedules — A Complete Historical Guide from 1933 to the Present by Ivan Urena, and published in 2014, may be of interest.

Quote:
To meet the rigorous scheduling demands with thousands of different variables and constraints, the NFL turned to Rick Stone, a Canadian manufacturing engineer. Stone, president of Optimal Planning Solutions, developed a specialized optimization software that provides scheduling solutions for professional sports leagues.

When the 2009 schedule was created, for example, Stone's software generated roughly 1.3 million schedules which were narrowed down to 3,500. "Of the 3,500 schedules we actually finished, we probably took 50 of them and read them all the way through," [Howard] Katz [scheduling official with the NFL] said. "What I mean by that is, once we get what we think is a playable schedule, we'll post that and say, 'Here's our leader. This is a schedule we're prepared to play.'"

"We won't look at another schedule until we think it's better," he went on. "This year [2009], we went through probably another 50 finished schedules. So, once we got a finished schedule, we probably improved it roughly 50 times, where we said, 'Okay, this one is better.'"

In 2010, out of an estimated 500,000 schedules that were generated, Katz and his team reviewed "5,000" playable schedules. According to Katz, "Then we keep generating more and more schedules, trying to find something that's better than the one we've got. We probably went through 50 finished, completed schedules that we wanted to see if they were better than the schedule we had. It's almost like a bake-off."

In making the 2012 schedule, the computer program, which has been in use since 2004, provided "400,000 complete or partial schedules," and generated "14,000 playable schedules, which were reduced to 150 with an eyeball test."

In 2008, in a CIO.com article, Stone mentioned there are some 6,000 factors that are considered in creating the 256-game schedule. Stone said: "Say you're going to buy a lottery ticket, and you're trying to pick six numbers out of 50. That's like 15 million combinations, or something like that. So if picking six out of 50 is so difficult, imagine the number of combinations of picking 256 out of 6,000. It's astronomical."

[Michael] North [NFL director of broadcasting planning and scheduling] said in the same article: "Any factor you can think of has to be factored into this decision." He added: "Frankly, it's staggering that the National Football League, a multibillion-dollar company, was arguably taking its most important asset — the schedule — and building it by hand only about 10 years ago. It's remarkable to think where we were not that long ago . . . . Now we get to look through thousands and thousands and thousands of [schedules] and pick the ones that are fairest overall to everybody as opposed to being able to get one done."

The software has allowed Katz and North to work more efficiently. "We can see the opportunity costs of some of our decisions," North commented. "Whereas in the old days, once you put Cincinnati and Cleveland in week five, that decision was made. You just have to go down that path . . . ."

"The beauty of the software is that we can go into every single game, every single week, every single team, every single place where we could be playing a game and we put some parameters around it," North said. "You can say to the software: Mix and match these any way you want to, just know that each game comes with a certain set of parameters. I don't want to play this game any earlier than week three or this game any later than week 14. That game should fall in sweeps week, somewhere between 9 and 12. That game should be in Pittsburgh instead of in Cleveland. That game needs to be on a Thursday night, which means that both teams need to be playing a home game the week prior. The software," he adds, "can do what we were only dreaming of doing 10 years ago."

According to Katz, "The whole scheduling process is far more sophisticated than it's ever been, and it's a combination of manual input and allowing the software to solve the rest of the puzzle . . . . It was successful because it helped us ensure there weren't any really bad television windows anywhere. Even our weakest weeks were better than our prior years had been."
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #169
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

And like I said, the complication in terms of OOTP is that it would have to deal with every possible league setup. It's one thing to write software solely for a 32 team league, with 16 games over a 17 week season, but with all the options for league size and schedule length OOTP has it would be a nightmare to test.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #170
ssball
Bat Boy

Hooray!

I've been playing since OOTP 5. After I switched to Apple, I kept a PC literally only to play OOTP until the first Mac version came out. This announcement thrills me every year!
ssball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #171
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
I remember Markus saying a long while back that he'd love to have a Stadium creator for the game. This can be a huge project depending how involved he wants to make it. It could even become a game all by itself. Something like "Sim Ballpark or Stadium" or whatever. Hire a firm to design a park. Hire the builders. Get all the required permits. And in 3 years time there is an announcement that the newly named Stadium will open in the new season. That is if you want to go that far with it. I think it would be really cool. Suppose there was a delay. The builders went on strike? hahaha Also, could make it era friendly depending what decade you want. A 1940s stadium is not going to be too modern. So a whole lot can go into this project. Lots a luck, Markus and developers.

Well... I think if the stadium builder comes to fruition, they shouldn't over complicate it, and I don't think they will. It will probably be a feature something close to what the stadium builder in Earl Weaver was. Go into a tab, choose some templates of grass, walls, backgrounds, colors etc. Set the wall height and dimension, hit create, boom, done. Hopefully there will be an auto-generate feature when you create a team. To make something like this is still a herculean effort.

I would imagine it would look something like this:
Attached Images

Last edited by drksd4848; 02-14-2019 at 06:12 PM.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #172
Jeffy25
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
Well... I think if the stadium builder comes to fruition, they shouldn't over complicate it, and I don't think they will. It will probably be a feature something close to what the stadium builder in Earl Weaver was. Go into a tab, choose some templates of grass, walls, backgrounds, colors etc. Set the wall height and dimension, hit create, boom, done. Hopefully there will be an auto-generate feature when you create a team. To make something like this is still a herculean effort.

I would imagine it would look something like this:
What is that image from?
Jeffy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 PM   #173
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I just had a look at the Optimal Planning Solutions website, and it seems to have largely cornered the market on scheduling for professional sports leagues. In terms of North American clients, these include MLB, MLS, and NFL, while overseas clients include Australian Football League, National Rugby League, and Scottish Premier League.

I wonder if it might be worth a try for OOTP to contact them to see if it might be possible to have a stripped down, simplified schedule creation software version made for use by the game, particularly since OOTP is associated with MLB and is a licensee.

ETA: Just found this article on SI.com about the creation of the NFL's 2017 schedule.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 02-14-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #174
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
What is that image from?
He implied it was from Earl Weaver.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #175
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
What is that image from?

I think it was some interactive exhibit at Royals Stadium... I *think*....

https://www.commarts.com/project/227...r-own-ballpark
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #176
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Will Cuba and Australia leagues be fixed? Since Australia produces MLB draft level talent.
Yes, already fixed.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #177
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Will Minor League Evolution be include?
Old 02-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #178
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
What is that image from?
Its from the Royals Hall of Fame at Kauffman.

I went to Kauffman in 2014 and that was in there.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #179
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8 View Post
Its from the Royals Hall of Fame at Kauffman.

I went to Kauffman in 2014 and that was in there.
I've visited about 10 stadiums now and, outside of Fenway, K.C.'s was my favorite.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #180
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
I wonder if it might be worth a try for OOTP to contact them to see if it might be possible to have a stripped down, simplified schedule creation software version made for use by the game, particularly since OOTP is associated with MLB and is a licensee.
I did wonder that myself, although I figured the cost might be prohibitive. It's worth getting a quote though I guess.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote