Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

Statcast Primer available!

The AZ Snake Pit has published an illustrated primer on how to use MLB’s Statcast system. It’s really easy to learn and use.

Want MLB exit velocities or barrel information? Or any stat you can think of? For a game, a season, a given period of time? As of yesterday? It’s all there for the taking. Free.
5-4-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

Zero interest? Shocker. This is a great data source.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

I wish something like this was available back when I had time to analyze these stats. I did a writeup in The Hardball Times Annual a few years ago with some Inside Edge data which was the best thing at that time. Running that analysis with actual Statcast data would be awesome, but my wife wouldn't be too happy about never seeing me again.
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:10 AM   #4
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealofhome View Post
I wish something like this was available back when I had time to analyze these stats. I did a writeup in The Hardball Times Annual a few years ago with some Inside Edge data which was the best thing at that time. Running that analysis with actual Statcast data would be awesome, but my wife wouldn't be too happy about never seeing me again.
Which stats did you analyze?
Old 05-05-2018, 12:46 AM   #5
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

I took hang time, horizontal hit angle, and distance and created an expected run value for a particular hit type. Then I translated that to a player's expected wOBA based off where they were hitting (their process) instead of what results they got. Now we have exit speed, exact location, etc. and I'm sure somebody is doing something similar, though I haven't read up on any recent baseball analysis for a few years.

Last edited by stealofhome; 05-05-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
stiffy
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I took hang time, horizontal hit angle, and distance and created an expected run value for a particular hit type. Then I translated that to a player's expected wOBA based off where they were hitting (their process) instead of what results they got. Now we have exit speed, exact location, etc. and I'm sure somebody is doing something similar, though I haven't read up on any recent baseball analysis for a few years.
There's a stat that does exactly this, using launch angle and exit velocity, called xwOBA (expected wOBA, as you called it too). Here's the leaderboard from last year. It's probably the best hitting statistic we have publicly right now.

Speed also seems to have a noticeable effect on the difference between xwOBA and their actual wOBA.
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffy View Post
There's a stat that does exactly this, using launch angle and exit velocity, called xwOBA (expected wOBA, as you called it too). Here's the leaderboard from last year. It's probably the best hitting statistic we have publicly right now.

Speed also seems to have a noticeable effect on the difference between xwOBA and their actual wOBA.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I did it in the 2015 Hardball Times Annual just as Statcast was starting and before it was publicly available. Glad to see there are people doing that work.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:59 PM   #8
stiffy
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I figured. I did it in the 2015 Hardball Times Annual just as Statcast was starting and before it was publicly available. Glad to see there are people doing that work.
Just in case you (or anyone else) are curious, a guy I think is on the cutting edge of this stuff is Andrew Perpetua, who runs xStats. He's got a great set of stats built of the Statcast data.

Last edited by stiffy; 05-07-2018 at 12:02 AM.
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:07 AM   #9
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffy View Post
Just in case you (or anyone else) are curious, a guy I think is on the cutting edge of this stuff is Andrew Perpetua, who runs xStats. He's got a great set of stats built of the Statcast data.
Thanks!