Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
JeffR
FHM Producer

Research and Editing Help Wanted

It's time to replenish our research team as we prepare the next version of the game. We're looking for volunteers to help us get the database updated for the 2016-17 season, including both roster moves and ratings updates for players and staff. We've recently finished updating our internal editing tools to make the research process a little more user-friendly for both the researchers and ourselves, and after some testing they're now ready to be introduced to new researchers.

Right now, there are a few specific researcher spots we're looking to fill in particular, so if you have some knowledge of one of these leagues/areas you'd be of particular interest to us:

Germany
England
France
Norway
Sweden
Switzerland
Western Hockey League
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League
Asia League

(Since some of those areas cover multiple leagues, it may make sense to have multiple people sharing the research duties for them.)

We'd also like to hear from people who'd like to work on other leagues, including nonplayable ones. But please bear in mind that we already have our teams set for many of the more popular leagues, so we're much less likely to be adding researchers for the NHL, for example.

We need people who can step in and begin work immediately, and work fairly steadily over the next 2-3 months. The amount of work involved will vary by league: some of them are small and/or are already fairly up-to-date and won't require that many changes, but others will require more intensive work.

Finally, we'd also like to add a small number of people to work on the game's text database, mainly news stories/email alerts but also things like play-by-play.

If you're interested in volunteering for the research team, please send me a private message and let me know exactly what you'd be interested in working on (please be specific), as well as a little about yourself, particularly if you've had experience doing this sort of work before.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
Bets
Bat Boy

Not sure I have the time to commit to this, however, I'd just like to bring to your attention the Champions Hockey League.

It's a really cool tournament featuring teams all over Europe. It's heading into its third season and if there was any support in FHM 3 for adding a tournament based league this is one that would be great to include.

Because it is fairly new, the rules are varying quite a bit, but in general, it is a 48 team tournament featuring clubs from DEL, EBEL, Czech Extraliga, Liiga, NLA, SHL, Get-Ligaen, SVK Extraliga, Ligue Magnus, Metal Ligaen, Ekstraliga, BLR Extraleague, and the EIHL. However, these teams would vary slightly as the league champions are the teams that qualify.

The teams that qualify are divided into 16 divisions of 3, where they play a home-and-away series (OT if tied after 6 periods then a shootout), with the top 2 from each division advancing to the 32-team bracket. It remains best-of-2 aggregate scoring until the finals where it's best of 1.

Some more rules on how teams can qualify can be found on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champi...y_League#Teams

There are a couple important stipulations when creating the heats: 1) a team can't be in the same league as an opponent in the division, and 2) a team can't be in the same division as an opponent if they both are the same olympic qualifying country (however, there is an exception to this rule as a Czech team playing in the Austrian league is considered an Austriam team and can end up in the same division as another Czech team if they are from the Czech league).

If I do change my mind and end up with free time (unlikely as I have some projects of my own to complete), I'd be interested in this – or the Deutsches Eishockey Liga

Last edited by Bets; 06-23-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Bets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:00 AM   #3
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

I hope you find time to join, we need any help we can get especially for the DEL/Germany and also the CHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bets View Post
Not sure I have the time to commit to this, however, I'd just like to bring to your attention the Champions Hockey League.

It's a really cool tournament featuring teams all over Europe. It's heading into its third season and if there was any support in FHM 3 for adding a tournament based league this is one that would be great to include.

Because it is fairly new, the rules are varying quite a bit, but in general, it is a 48 team tournament featuring clubs from DEL, EBEL, Czech Extraliga, Liiga, NLA, SHL, Get-Ligaen, SVK Extraliga, Ligue Magnus, Metal Ligaen, Ekstraliga, BLR Extraleague, and the EIHL. However, these teams would vary slightly as the league champions are the teams that qualify.

The teams that qualify are divided into 16 divisions of 3, where they play a home-and-away series (OT if tied after 6 periods then a shootout), with the top 2 from each division advancing to the 32-team bracket. It remains best-of-2 aggregate scoring until the finals where it's best of 1.

Some more rules on how teams can qualify can be found on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champi...y_League#Teams

There are a couple important stipulations when creating the heats: 1) a team can't be in the same league as an opponent in the division, and 2) a team can't be in the same division as an opponent if they both are the same olympic qualifying country (however, there is an exception to this rule as a Czech team playing in the Austrian league is considered an Austriam team and can end up in the same division as another Czech team if they are from the Czech league).

If I do change my mind and end up with free time (unlikely as I have some projects of my own to complete), I'd be interested in this – or the Deutsches Eishockey Liga
Old 06-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
Vermin360
Major Leagues

Private message sent.

Manager, Chicago Cubs, 2015-2019
Manager, Oklahoma City Dodgers, 2016-2018
GM, Philadelphia Athletics, 1871-1872
GM, Detroit Red Wings, 1993-1994

Vermin360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
Bets
Bat Boy

What is the estimate for the amount of hours per week that one should expect for such a thing?

I'm more likely to find the time once a week to put in more hours at once rather than an hour a day type of thing.

Considering the DEL only has a little over a dozen teams, I'd probably be able to get a majority of it done in a couple of days – depending on what tasks are expected of the volunteers.

Also, at the very least, I'd be able to provide research on the past 2 CHL seasons as well as what teams will be competing in the next season.

Last edited by Bets; 07-01-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Bets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:12 AM   #6
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Thanks for the offer, every little bit helps to make the game better! We have a weekly deadline on Sunday evenings, so basically you work one week on the database, send us the files, we make a new db witch all changes (on Mondays) and repeat.

So basically you can work on the db during the week whenever you have time. And of course we don´t expect people to work on it every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bets View Post
What is the estimate for the amount of hours per week that one should expect for such a thing?

I'm more likely to find the time once a week to put in more hours at once rather than an hour a day type of thing.

Considering the DEL only has a little over a dozen teams, I'd probably be able to get a majority of it done in a couple of days – depending on what tasks are expected of the volunteers.

Also, at the very least, I'd be able to provide research on the past 2 CHL seasons as well as what teams will be competing in the next season.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #7
Vermin360
Major Leagues

Any idea on when we might find out if our offer has been accepted?

Manager, Chicago Cubs, 2015-2019
Manager, Oklahoma City Dodgers, 2016-2018
GM, Philadelphia Athletics, 1871-1872
GM, Detroit Red Wings, 1993-1994

Vermin360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #8
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin360 View Post
Any idea on when we might find out if our offer has been accepted?
I guess Jeff will get in contact with everyone asap, maybe in time for next weeks edit phase. We did the move to the 2016/17 season this week, so we are good to edit starting next week.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

I`ll be in touch with everyone by the end of the weekend - I want to give people a couple more days to apply. There'll also be a little bit of paperwork that needs to be done before you can start editing.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:43 AM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

OK, I think I've responded to everyone now. If you did send me an email or PM and haven't heard back, something's probably gone astray, so get in touch with me again. Thanks to everyone who offered to help.