Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
Bets
Bat Boy

Lightbulb FHM2 Strategies/Tips

I am fairly immersed in the game right now and, with most games that I become immersed in, I want to soak up as much strategy as possible and learn to optimize my choices.

I have gone to the extreme (at least to what I had perceived as the extreme) and analyzed all of the player attributes and the interaction between players' statistics. But I want to go further!

I am unsure with how active the FHM2 community is, however, I am curious to know if any of you use different strategies when playing the game. Also, if you have any personal tips that you would like to share.

To further iterate what I mean, I am not looking for the best trades to get a first line of Ovechkin - Crosby - Kane or how to draft Mathews and Laine 1-2 after winning the Stanley Cup.

Instead, I am looking for individual strategies and personal preferences with realistic examples, if it includes players.

For example, I am heavily biased towards acquiring a player that is highly-rated in faceoffs (with decent ratings defensively) for the 4th line/2nd line penalty kill.

I have not done enough scouting in FHM2, but in previous GM games I would always find a player like Manny Malhotra or Jay McClement to fill this role.

Additionally, when picking a future starting goaltender (or choosing between two near-skilled goalies), I typically favour butterfly goalies (then hybrid goalies) over stand up goalies. In terms of rebounds, recovery, and reflexes, I would obviously favour a 15/15/15 over a 12/12/15, even though the latter suggests a "true" butterfly goalie. But if it's between a 10/10/11, 10/11/10, and 11/10/10, then I favour the 10/10/11.

Also on the topic of goaltenders, when determining a backup, if the current team I am managing does not have a respectable backup goalie in the system already, I will sign one in free agency. One important factor in acquiring a backup goalie is to make sure they are happy with the "Backup Goalie" major role. If my options are between a goalie that will accept that role and another goalie who is slightly better and will not accept that role, I will choose the former to avoid unhappiness.

Other factors do play in as well. For example, if it is later in the year and I need an emergency backup and a better player is available that wants the starter role, under the scenario that my team is winning many games, I will choose the starter as the happiness/unhappiness tends to maintain itself.

Prior to signing any of the free agents, I like to create a shortlist of players that I believe can fill the roles that my current team is missing. After doing so, I like to assign my scouts to the shortlist for at least a week before signing anyone to ensure that I choose the better player. This can be risky if done the day players file for free agency so it is more of a strategy to use either for lower-skilled players or prior to/after free agent frenzy.

Lastly, another strategy that I employ in practically every team relates to utility skaters. The value is quite obvious when choosing between two skaters with equal attributes and stats where one only plays on the Left Wing and the other can switch to the Left Wing (19) from the Right Wing (20). However, I tend to take this a step further when considering depth players and am always on the lookout for a true utility skater – one that can switch between forward and defence.

Brent Burns and Dustin Byfuglien are obvious answers for true utility skaters. But in terms of depth, someone I like to find when also looking for that physical/enforcer role is Deryk Engelland. Admittedly, he usually sits out most games because I hate taking that penalty that can cost the team the game. However, when playing against a physical team (or rival) then I like to play him on the 4th line (or 3rd D).

Do you agree with my strategies? Do you have any of your own? Would you like to discuss anything strategy related in FHM2?
Bets is offline   Reply With Quote