Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
mikevoxcap
Bat Boy

Getting Crushed When Pitching

I'm playing with the Cubs and its my first time playing this game in years. It seems like I am decent on offense when I play out a game. I'm in the top 5 in several offensive statistics. When pitching, I am getting crushed. Often its a direct result of something crazy. I just had a pitcher hit a 3 run HR. I've been getting crushed for 10+ runs a game. I handed over the control of field position to the AI, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to pitch better so that I don't keep getting crushed like this.
mikevoxcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:44 AM   #2
Pirates
Major Leagues

I don't think you can control your pitcher to pitch better. As in real life you send them out there and hope for best.
Pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:16 AM   #3
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Are you leaving your pictures in after they are tired?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:01 AM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

and all pitchers have bad days, weeks, months, sometimes an entire year is bad, lol.

if this is fictional mlb new game, lower League Total (LT) HR in League settings->Stats and AI screen. it is likely around 5000 and needs to be 4400-4600 area. at end of season, if league wide offense or pitching is whacky, you can adjust League Total Modifiers (LTM). maybe click auto-calc on thsi setting screen in the preseason <blech, i just threw up in my mouth a bit>. check out the manual, do some forum searches. the info is there. '15, '16 and more will have similar info on LTM/LT.

don't think a league is off due to 1/2 or even 3/4 of a season. even a season is a small sample size, really, but at least it can get you in the ballpark if something is extremely amiss.

if they have good ratings in the right areas, have faith or adjust what you value.

tips:

pitch counts won't help them perform better, necessarily. however, if you find that they are not 100% by their next start, set a pitch count about 10-15 below when this is occuring (info in player profile) can limit it to a couple percentages of rest or stop it from occurring altogether. also good for pushing a #1 or #2 to pitch when fully rested as opposed to strict rotation.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-29-2016 at 03:13 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
mikevoxcap
Bat Boy

Thanks for the tips. What I did was tried to adjust settings to have the bench coach / AI take care of the field positioning. I'd like to try to do positioning myself, but I don't see a spray chart of any kind for a player, which would probably help immensely. Then, I've tried to have a strategy of "pitch" to average hitters, "pitch to contact" for bad hitters against my pitcher and "pitch around" for strong hitters against my pitcher. Despite this strategy, my starter just gets shelled. I am in to the second time through my rotation and my starting pitching has averaged allowing 10+ runs by the 4th inning with 60 or less pitches every game. To better ask my question, is there a better pitching strategy I can follow than the above? What stats are most important for determining how best to get outs? Is there are setting or settings I can change to make pitching a little easier?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Let me know if you find any!
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:31 PM   #7
mikevoxcap
Bat Boy

Still have yet to actually win a game. Finally found that I can just use "pitch" for the most part as the primary way to pitch. Only lost the last game 3-2; though, the game still seems to enjoy the ridiculous outcome. I was up 2-0 in the 8th when suddenly I threw two straight wild pitches and then a HR from a .172 hitter. Of course the 9th I had a guy on first when a pick off throw went wild and then the guy score on a double. Getting there...
Old 03-29-2016, 11:40 PM   #8
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevoxcap View Post
Still have yet to actually win a game. Finally found that I can just use "pitch" for the most part as the primary way to pitch. Only lost the last game 3-2; though, the game still seems to enjoy the ridiculous outcome. I was up 2-0 in the 8th when suddenly I threw two straight wild pitches and then a HR from a .172 hitter. Of course the 9th I had a guy on first when a pick off throw went wild and then the guy score on a double. Getting there...
Go to one-pitch mode, maybe?

Old 03-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevoxcap View Post
Thanks for the tips. What I did was tried to adjust settings to have the bench coach / AI take care of the field positioning. I'd like to try to do positioning myself, but I don't see a spray chart of any kind for a player, which would probably help immensely. Then, I've tried to have a strategy of "pitch" to average hitters, "pitch to contact" for bad hitters against my pitcher and "pitch around" for strong hitters against my pitcher. Despite this strategy, my starter just gets shelled. I am in to the second time through my rotation and my starting pitching has averaged allowing 10+ runs by the 4th inning with 60 or less pitches every game. To better ask my question, is there a better pitching strategy I can follow than the above? What stats are most important for determining how best to get outs? Is there are setting or settings I can change to make pitching a little easier?
each league can be different, so this is mostly vague:

spray chart: not sure... but it tells you severity of the pull hitter. use that. at what point is a severe shift warranted? not sure... that's just a learning curve, though.

if at the end of the year, league ERA is high, then you know it's not just your pitcher having problems. whats high? opinion... but my opinion is a range between 3.80 and 4.30 ERA over time.

common sense on other stuff.... pitching around a guy with a great EYE rating (or tons of BB if stats only) might not be the best strategy. maybe ibb that one.

pitch to contact: i'd guess that doing this to high BABIP guys is a bad idea. since that's melded with avoid K's, so, comparing BABIP and K/ab would flesh out the players BABIP talent. this is mostly (i think) for inducing double plays or other situations that warrant it. if the pitcher is a power pitcher, you may be less likely to use this strategy than for a junk-ball pitcher in a 2-out situation...

these are guesses... get better info from google searches and real life data. i don't do day-to-day games anymore, so i can't give many specifics anymore. common sense will get you 60-80% of the way.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-30-2016 at 06:31 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
CMH
Hall Of Famer

Do you have a can of beer within arm's reach? I find this brings good results.

In all seriousness, have you tried playing out other team games to see those results?

You could just be in the worst bad luck statistical anomaly an individual could experience in the game of baseball.
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote