Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
vcrinaldi95
Bat Boy

Your Experience with OOTP

Hello All,
I am leaning on getting the 2015 Version of OOTP baseball but I was wondering if anyone could share their personal experiences in regards to the game. I have a few questions, and if anyone can share there experiences I would greatly appreciate it.

1.) How has OOTP baseball impacted knowledge acquisition of Sabermetric Data?

2.) How do you find online leagues; what is the average time commitment and do they normally last?

3.) If I buy the 2015 Version, will there be updates for following seasons or do I purchase the 2016 version?

4.) Do you prefer single or multi player?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
vcrinaldi95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
A better place to ask some of that is OOTP 14 - New to the Game? - OOTP Developments Forums

1. Please rephrase your question, at least one person (me) can't understand it.

2. Varies, depending on the league.

3. There will be updates during the year, but you will want to purchase every year's version.

4. The game is single player, so I guess that question is solo vs. online league play. I personally favor solo. Many don't.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by The Wolf; 03-28-2014 at 09:42 AM.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
BigbyWolf
Minors (Double A)

4. I prefer solo play, but can't speak negatively toward online gameplay as I have never tried it. Solo play experience is very deep. You can play seasons from history, you can play the current MLB or create your own league entirely. Limitless options really.
BigbyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
oman19
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrinaldi95 View Post
Hello All,
I am leaning on getting the 2015 Version of OOTP baseball but I was wondering if anyone could share their personal experiences in regards to the game. I have a few questions, and if anyone can share there experiences I would greatly appreciate it.

2.) How do you find online leagues; what is the average time commitment and do they normally last?

3.) If I buy the 2015 Version, will there be updates for following seasons or do I purchase the 2016 version?

1) OOTP has helped me learn more about Sabermetrics. You have to have an understanding of what each stat means to begin with. After that OOTP helped me learn how to apply that knowledge and use it to aid me in my player analysis.

2 ) I have only done a few online leagues. Time spent is all up to the individual. You can spend a few minutes or an hour. There us a forum on these message boards dedicated to online leagues. As far as do they last. There are some that have lasted over a decade and others that don't last. Browse the message board and you usually can get a feel for the league and the people in it.

3) I buy every version but you can get roster updates from modders.

4) I much prefer single player. OOTP is all about playing your game YOUR way. I think single player you can take the most advantage of its customization.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

1) not really sure what you are asking

2) Best place to shop for online leagues is in the 'Online league forum' on these boards. I do mean shop, look at many, ask questions, find one that seems to fit how you want to play the game.

The time commitment varies by league depending on, among other things, the league sim schedule (how many times per week). It also depends on how much you want to micromanage your organization. I can spend 10 minutes a day on a league or I can spend 3 hours, really up to me.

Do they last? Some do, some don't. You have to choose wisely. Mostly depends on the person(s) running the league. I am currently in 5 on-line leagues; two of them I have been in for 4+ years (one has been around for 10 years), 2 more of them are about 1 year old and the 5th is new. I have been in a few leagues that have folded. I look for certain types of leagues (to each his own) and have joined a few that just were not run well. So, look for a league and ask questions. Find one you like and give it a go.

3) You do not have to purchase every year though I do. OOTPD is continuously adding new features and tweaking old ones. The less than $40 investment is well worth the hours and hours I get out of the game.

4) I prefer online (multi-player) over solo play but they each offer great value. Solo play is great for running your league your way while I think online play provides more of a challenge, at least to me, because you are playing against other people instead of the AI. Again, both great in their own ways.

Last edited by byzeil; 03-28-2014 at 10:52 AM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Answers are in bold.

1.) How has OOTP baseball impacted knowledge acquisition of Sabermetric Data? - I already had a pretty strong sabermetric background before OOTP but looking up a few stats definitely taught me more.

2.) How do you find online leagues; what is the average time commitment and do they normally last? - I'd recommend checking the Online Leagues forum, which will likely be updated after OOTP 15 releases. Time commitment and length vary wildly by leagues - some leagues I've been in have existed for 10 real years, some have folded after one simmed season. As for time, some leagues you can just export and be done in 5-10 minutes while some leagues require writing and can help you get immersed but take significantly more time. Just pick what time and commitment you're looking for and you'll be able to find a league that fits you.

3.) If I buy the 2015 Version, will there be updates for following seasons or do I purchase the 2016 version? - OOTP is always getting updated with each version - you're not getting what is basically a roster update like with the Madden series for instance. Some people don't buy every year but I do to support the company and enjoy all the new features. OOTP 15 has some good new features and I'm sure OOTP 16 will too.

4.) Do you prefer single or multi player? - I'm mostly online leagues lately but I enjoy using OOTP's great flexibility to try a weird concept solo league every now and then.

Hope this helps!

OOTP Grand League Champion 2015

Last edited by kingcharlesxii; 03-28-2014 at 10:43 AM.
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Hello All,

Answers:
  1. I've learned that the sabermetricians have a legitimate case for the use of better statistical modeling
  2. I don't play online, so I can't answer that, but these forums are a great place to start
  3. You'll purchase the new version each year as new features and rosters are usually built into the new game
  4. As stated, I play offline as a single player experience. Believe me, either way you go, you'll definitely get your money's worth and a lot more!
goalieump413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Hello All,

I cant answer the first question sorry.

#2 there is a online league openings thats how you find them, depending on the league they can last for ages and multiple different virsions of the game. Badly run leagues don't last and you don't know that the league will fold but good group of owners and a good Commish will keep a league filled will owners

#3 the best way is to buy each new game but some online leagues don't switch right away just to let you know

#4 I am not that old but I have been playing this game for a long time, I started playng solo but online leagues gave me a bit of a bigger challenge, as the game grew and I did solo leagues were the best way to play and to experence all the new formats that are added each year but for some beating the AI isnt fun now for me i'm fine with my solo league that I started in OOTP 12 but is only 70 game years old because I get imursed in each of the new things that each game brings. Online leagues tho put your skills against other humans and personally I havent done to well in my Online league after just playing solo for a while so it has its adjustments but it is fun to be a part of something and talk about it with other people who enjoy the game.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

1. Not sure I understand the question.

2. I don't play online leagues, but I've looked into them and it appears most of them require you to do something with OOTP at least every other day, if not daily. That's why I haven't tried them yet.

3. You'll need to buy the new version each year to get that year's Opening Day rosters. As others mentioned, there are also new features added to the game each year. But if you're worried about paying full price every year, there are always pre-order discounts or other discounts throughout the year.

4. I only play single player, as mentioned above.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
tward13
All Star Starter

1. -

2. I've been in online leagues that were loads of fun. One ran over 100 seasons and lasted several real years. Others fold pretty quickly. Best to start in a stable league, but there are as any different kinds of leagues as there are options in the game. As mentioned, they can be as little as getting the file, updating your roster and sending the file back in. THe best leagues usually have an active message board with league discussion, trading and other activity.

3. I get every new version. You don't HAVE, especially if you play fantasy or historical.

4. I play both. All a matter of personal preference as you've seen from other answers
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

We have a motto here: "It's your game, play it your way."

Hate the DH? <click> Gone forever.

Want thirty man rosters? <click> Done.

Want to go back to the reserve system? <click> Done.

Want to play the Mexican League? <click> Done.

Want to have a hobbit league in Middle Earth? Takes more work, but it can still be done.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
rogmax11
All Star Starter

We even have cliques here!

If you are the least bit baseball geekish you have found the Promised Land, with
a seemingly endless number of options to play with. But be warned: this is likely
the most addictive experience you can encounter that doesnt carry legal repercussions LOL!
rogmax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmax11 View Post

If you are the least bit baseball geekish you have found the Promised Land, with
a seemingly endless number of options to play with. But be warned: this is likely
the most addictive experience you can encounter that doesnt carry legal repercussions LOL!

I say this all the time but in a different way
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #14
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmax11 View Post
The only one I know of is that massive Tiger Fan clique.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #15
oman19
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
The only one I know of is that massive Tiger Fan clique.
Hey now....we keep to ourselves in the Talk Sports forum. lol

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #16
Caporegime
All Star Starter

..oops! Wrong thread.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #17
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hello All,

1 ??
2. There is a forum for the online leagues and you can either search for individual leagues you want to hoin, respond to a thread or post what you are looking for in the "Looking for a League to Join" thread and someone will respond. Be specific. i was looking to join a league that was competing for a free version of OOTP 15 and none of the 3 leagues i am in are in the tournament.
3. There will be an end of the season roster put out by lukasberger at some point but it will not have 2014 stats so yes you would have to buy ootp 16.
4. I like both. I dominate in single player mode in my 3 active leagues. I suck in my 3 online leagues. I can't get anyone to trade with me in 2 of the leagues. One of them is because the Cubs suck and no one wants Vernon Wells contract, the other people want a 5 star 24 yr old MR for a washed up 39 yr old 2B. The 3rd league is my favorite which is Fullcount.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #18
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman19 View Post
Hey now....we keep to ourselves in the Talk Sports forum. lol
No, you don't.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #19
sansterre
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Hello All,

1) I was already a huge stat geek before hand, so OOTP didn't teach me any new stats. There are still plenty I wish the game had, though it looks like many will be added in ootp15. However, the game has taught me a lot about implementing those stats. Example: my first iteration: "this SP is terrible because he had a high ERA!" Second iteration: "This SP is underrated because his FIP is actually 1.5 lower than his ERA!" Third iteration: "But his HR/9 were half what they normally are, and HR/9 fluctuates like crazy. He's going to regress." Fourth iteration: "Balls. I guess I'll just make educated guesses and run with them."

2) Already answered by others.

3) Likewise

4) I prefer online. The solo game is fun, but it can be really easy once you get good at it. You can do things to make it harder on yourself, but there are simply certain things the AI doesn't do well that you can take advantage of. When I say 'really easy' I don't mean WS victories 3 of every four years, I just mean that it's not too hard to craft extended streaks of dominance. And because I can do things the AI doesn't think of, I have what feels like an unfair advantage.

Online takes all of those problems away. If you have a weak team with a low budget, and a league with strong GMs, expect to get your butt kicked for a while. You really have to earn everything in an online league, and I love that.

Look. If you like sports sims, if you like baseball, and you don't mind text-based, this is the best game in the world. Ever. The only one that is comparable is football manager, and I prefer this hugely (though I prefer baseball too, so take that for what it's worth.) This game has so much replay ability it's unreal. I think back to how I managed my teams in OOTP 9 and cringe. I've evolved so much since then. My abilities have only improved by 10-15%, but my understanding has improved much more.

Take over whatever team you want and start playing. If you get too good, take over the worst team in the league with the worst budget. If you get too good at that, take over an expansion team. And so on. Managing low budget teams teaches you a lot about making the most out of your money. Once you're killing the computer on every level, that's when you want to look into online leagues. Because in every league there are 2-5 GMs that are way better than you, and you need to bust your butt to keep up.

It's a great game man. I endorse its use in every way.
sansterre is offline   Reply With Quote