Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #41
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Perhaps we can agree, or perhaps not, that society should be concerned* with the millions who struggle with sleep deprivation, whereas the NBA should be concerned with the hundreds of of players who struggle with sleep deprivation.

*I'm the last person to advocate for government involvement, that's not at all what I mean...
I can get behind that.

Quote:
Interesting. Don't think there's a parallel to this subject, but if there is, I'm sure you'll point it out
Yeah. Unfortunately, I'm a real live Cliff Clavin. I know just enough to contribute to a convo, but not enough to be an authority on anything. Not to mention I'm an ex-postman.

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #42
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
It's not a matter of if they can endure it. It is a matter of whether you are 1.) getting the most out of the player and 2.) whether it costs you more in the long run because the risk of injury increases.

We already acknowledge the affect of little sleep on the job because we require truckers to have mandatory rest breaks. Therefore, this isn't exactly news breaking. So I don't see why we need more info or to do more tests on other occupations. I just thought the article was interesting in showing the tangible affect.
If it's purely about getting the most out of the players, you'd not mind working them very very hard and be all used up when they retire. Let them burn out.

The only players the league may consider protecting would be specific high profile stars with higher marketing power. They are the only ones the league need to think about longevity.

This is again the same for many competitive job fields. And NFL is still the worst for all this, with so many players effectively broken when they are done, being used up.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #43
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

42 yrs old
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #44
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
The rise of the 3 point shot has changed the game. If you can hit catch and shoot threes at a 35% + rate then you can stay in the well Into your upper 30s or even 40s.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #45
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

I am also thinking Zion has an outside shot at being a top 20 NBA player in his rookie season.
I do not remember much of Lebrons rookie season. But people talk about an NBA ready body and he already is in the top 10%
And his moves around the rim and his off ball movement are already pro level. He can find space around picks and for his size can slither through gaps on the defense.

His passing is already ahead of where I thought it would be. He can pass out when there is nothing there, makes smart passes and already shows some court vision to make meaningful passes.

There is not much to work on during his rookie season outside of game experience.
The training staff can work on his stamina and injury prevention to get him ready for a long season and his long term durability.

The biggest concern I have is his free throw shooting. He is strong enough to finish through contact. But his play around the rim is going to lead to fouls and free throw attempts.
His free throw form is not good and if he shoots around 55-60 % then teams will hard foul him to limit him around the basket.

His long range shot can be a long term multi year goal. A knock down mid range shot will open up the defense a bit for the rest of his team.
If he can knock down a corner 3 at over 30% on 3-4 attempts per game then it’s over.

But damn he is so good already. His athleticism is simply on another level already from most of the league.

He already reminds me of a combo of Charles Barkley, Blake Griffin and Larry Johnson.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 10-17-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #46
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I am also thinking Zion has an outside shot at being a top 20 NBA player in his rookie season.
I do not remember much of Lebrons rookie season. But people talk about an NBA ready body and he already is in the top 10%
And his moves around the rim and his off ball movement are already pro level. He can find space around picks and for his size can slither through gaps on the defense.

His passing is already ahead of where I thought it would be. He can pass out when there is nothing there, makes smart passes and already shows some court vision to make meaningful passes.

There is not much to work on during his rookie season outside of game experience.
The training staff can work on his stamina and injury prevention to get him ready for a long season and his long term durability.

The biggest concern I have is his free throw shooting. He is strong enough to finish through contact. But his play around the rim is going to lead to fouls and free throw attempts.
His free throw form is not good and if he shoots around 55-60 % then teams will hard foul him to limit him around the basket.

His long range shot can be a long term multi year goal. A knock down mid range shot will open up the defense a bit for the rest of his team.
If he can knock down a corner 3 at over 30% on 3-4 attempts per game then it’s over.

But damn he is so good already. His athleticism is simply on another level already from most of the league.

He already reminds me of a combo of Charles Barkley, Blake Griffin and Larry Johnson.
dook was holding him back. He looks 10x's better than he did in college. The thing that is scary is he doesn't know what he is doing yet. He reminds me of Heath Ledger's Joker. "Do I really look like a guy with a plan?....... I just dooooo things....." He's so explosive he doesn't have to think right now.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #47
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

NBA to implement "zero tolerance" policy on fan behavior.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #48
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Zion to miss 6-8 weeks

Klay not likely to be back this entire season

Injuries suck
Old 10-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #49
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Old 10-27-2019, 11:03 PM   #50
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

So what's the deal with Dennis Smith Jr?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-28-2019, 03:44 AM   #51
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Zion could end up being the next Greg Oden, unfortunately.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #52
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

It has been only four games. But I like what the Hawks have done.
It would of course been much easier for them to take Doncic.

But they did not, so they have what they have.
Young, Collins and Hunter are long term pieces. Reddish could be a piece. If he works on his 3 point shot he is already a good defender and could be a 3 and D player going forward.
He was asked to do too much at Duke and I think he is a rotational piece going forward as a low end starter or good bench piece.

They have a ton of salary coming off the books. They need to find a real center in the draft. Len is not what they are looking for. Fernando also looks like a good piece going forward.
Continue to build through the draft and hang onto that money for 2021 off season. Don't spend it this coming summer unless you can underpay for a piece. Or spend it on one year contracts that you can flip.

For making a bad trade, they are doing pretty well. Young is looking like an all-star as soon as this season and Collins is looking like a borderline all-star and a possible 20-10 guy.

I like Hunter and Reddish is already looking like a good defensive player from the eye test and the Hawks outstanding player development can work with him to hit a corner 3 at a 35%+ rate.
They don't need him to be an outstanding offensive talent. Knock down open 3 point shots, play hard defense. Average 2.0 steals/blocks a game.
Make a good pass when he has nothing and go to the basket when the opportunity presents itself and try to hit 80% of his FT attempts.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:21 PM   #53
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Embiid & KAT get into scuffle.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #54
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Is this a combined scoring record for a non-OT game?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #55
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just looked it up. GS beat Denver in 1990 162-158. I miss Doug Moe's Nuggets. Still, you can tell the Pentagon is Arlington, VA. Because there was no defense in Washington tonight.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-30-2019, 11:55 PM   #56
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

And I looked it up and the Hawks will have a lot more cap space this offseason than I thought.

Assuming Jabari Parker opts out of his player option they will only owe $33,369,000 in salary.
De'Andre Hunter would be their highest paid player.

This off season is going to be terrible for FA. But we are in an era where every 3 months we see a player who becomes unhappy and wants out.
The Hawks have a lot of movable contracts.

This off season they can also take on a lot of expiring contracts if they are also offered those juicy draft picks.
Or they can simply look for one year rentals and pay them a lot of high dollar one year deals to see if they are worth keeping.

They have a really bright future. And a pretty much brand new arena and a top flight coaching staff and training staff and training facility.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:39 AM   #57
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Curry is out with a broken hand. I would say it’s time for GS to tank, bit I don’t think they own their own pick.

And my streak of three years in a row betting on the winner of the MVP is looking like it it is going to come,to an end.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 10-31-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #58
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Curry is out with a broken hand. I would say it’s time for GS to tank, bit I don’t think they own their own pick.

And my streak of three years in a row betting on the winner of the MVP is looking like it it is going to come,to an end.
Before I went to bed I saw they were down about 30 to the Suns & was thinking how can they be THIS bad? Now I see why.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-31-2019, 08:46 AM   #59
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Looks like GS's 1st rounder was sent to Brooklyn but is protected from 1-20.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-31-2019, 09:10 AM   #60
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looks like GS's 1st rounder was sent to Brooklyn but is protected from 1-20.

I use that website all the time