Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 11-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
Mike112874
Bat Boy

List of historical player ID's

I am currently doing a league where I'm playing with all the great players from each franchise. I want to import some players in who were excluded. Is there a website where I can see each player's historical ID rather than switching back to the modern league that I am in to look them up?
Mike112874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

search lahman's ootp? i know threads in forums point the way... can use google to find directions on ootp forums.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
search lahman's ootp? i know threads in forums point the way... can use google to find directions on ootp forums.
Why not just direct him to baseball reference? BB-Ref has the Id's although their are anomalies like AJ Pierzynski and some players with a letter ' then letter like O'Connor.
Also Gambo has a great program which runs in OpenOffice for finding all players. Not updated in a few years though.
i cant seem to find it.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

you are looking for the master.csv and the milbmaster.csv from OOTP. Short of that the BBref ID's usually match. OOTP does not support weird characters nor commas or periods in player ID's.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Benchmark
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
you are looking for the master.csv and the milbmaster.csv from OOTP. Short of that the BBref ID's usually match. OOTP does not support weird characters nor commas or periods in player ID's.
That's funny, then why do 41 players have . in there name and this is the Master? I know why, some brilliant Guinness decided to switch from Lahman ID to Baseball Reference ID mid stream. Maybe someone should be more professional next time and use the same database(Or take 10 minutes and fix it.). While your doing that, you can fix the many other mistakes with the ID's. Why anyone uses Baseball Reference I don't know. It's a joke, almost 9% of the data is incorrect. That's 1 out of 11 Players and they have Hundreds of thousands. I guess OOTP doesn't verify data too much.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark View Post
That's funny, then why do 41 players have . in there name and this is the Master? I know why, some brilliant Guinness decided to switch from Lahman ID to Baseball Reference ID mid stream. Maybe someone should be more professional next time and use the same database(Or take 10 minutes and fix it.). While your doing that, you can fix the many other mistakes with the ID's. Why anyone uses Baseball Reference I don't know. It's a joke, almost 9% of the data is incorrect. That's 1 out of 11 Players and they have Hundreds of thousands. I guess OOTP doesn't verify data too much.
i've used the master .csv to mass import to my fictional league and it works perfectly. Why they changed i don't know, but there are people very dedicated to finding issues with the database and correcting it on a daily basis.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=275250

and they are always looking for more testers for future versions.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 11-12-2017 at 01:32 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark View Post
That's funny, then why do 41 players have . in there name and this is the Master? Names have different rules than ID's. That's why. I know why, some brilliant Guinness decided to switch from Lahman ID to Baseball Reference ID mid stream. Maybe someone should be more professional next time and use the same database(Or take 10 minutes and fix it.). While your doing that, you can fix the many other mistakes with the ID's. Why anyone uses Baseball Reference I don't know. It's a joke, almost 9% of the data is incorrect. That's 1 out of 11 Players and they have Hundreds of thousands. I guess OOTP doesn't verify data too much.
The switch from Lahman occurred when the Lahman database started being released long after OOTP's latest versions came out. Lahman used to become available in late November, now it is not available until 3 or 4 months later. I'll take the genius who can't spell for $200 Alex.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Benchmark
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
The switch from Lahman occurred when the Lahman database started being released long after OOTP's latest versions came out. Lahman used to become available in late November, now it is not available until 3 or 4 months later. I'll take the genius who can't spell for $200 Alex.
So Lahman ID's are created by Chadwick, which updates Lahman ID's daily on their People.csv. Maybe this might help you. Stats are produced by Retrosheet and that is why he waits for the database.

https://github.com/chadwickbureau/baseballdatabank

So why not update to the Lahman IDs with Daily running updates?

If you do, you will find duplicates and many errors in OOTP Master.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the game - i have done it once a while back, and didn't recall how... was simple wiht a google search i recall. never even had to ask forums i don't withold info, if i have it. i am a bit of an a@@ but not 100%.

as far as incompatible characters, you can fix all fo that before you import. spreadsheet can do it (openoffice calc - forget verbage of function, you set it up by hand though this char=new char)... or, simply saving as the correct unicode format should properly convert things (export as csv first if necessary). ie a 'u' with an umlaut(sp?) would simply be a 'u' after a format change. then, re-import to spreadsheet with the 'fixed' characters. done this before when i saw the squigglies from an accented letter before in ootp. if you use the right txt format this won't occur.

bench, from cali? do some yoga breathign lessons or something

some of this stuff isn't professional, it's done be people willing to do it of their own volition, at least in some part. maybe coordinated a bit by ootp?

i'm not 100% sure, but at least some, if not most, are volunteers when it comes to certain dB stuff. a little appreciation of people's free work goes a long ways.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #10
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

These sites did not exist until two years after the change was made. Not about to change again. Takes too many hours and these sites are hugely incomplete themselves.

I believe the most complete data set exists in the OOTP database. That said it isn't perfect but OOTP does welcome and encourages user participation in finding errors. They are usually corrected within 24 hours and appear in the next release/update of the game.

Using the alternate names file supplied by the site you noted the OOTP database found 11 in 824 entries/matches but all 11 had already been reported by eagle-eyed OOTP users and fixed. The other 813 alternate names created no anomalies at all as bbref and lahman had already sorted them out. I am sure there are more errors to be found however. If you spot any please report them.

Last edited by Spritze; 11-14-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote