Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 09-27-2016, 10:37 PM   #1
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

A Guide for Beginners

march 26, 2018: any time a new release comes out, things can change. this should be good as of now through ootp18. most things will be the same. the new ratings system may or may not cause some adjustments to suggested ratings at various MiL levels. I'll adjust them once i play wiht '19 for a few months unless it's terribly obvious a change is required in the suggestions. make use of stats campare to league baselines to guage competency and verify the ratings suggested in the meantime.

A Guide of NoOne

Foreward:

I will do this in three posts. The first will be a basic yearly cycle of tasks. The second portion will deal with when to promote prospects. Some behaviors are repeated and possibly shortened or paraphrased the second time they are noted.

Assumes AI control of:
-MiL FA Signings and Releases
-MiL Promotions and Demotions
-MiL Depth Charts, Lineups and Pitching Staffs

if, like me, you have the propensity to be absent minded, this yearly outline is even useful to the more experienced. Since I started working on this, I reference it on occasion. Copy/paste and edit it to tailor it to your settings and play style.

If people have dates of certain things that could be added to the yearly cycle, make a post. I don't pay attention to waivers, for example.

A note to beginner's:

Before you begin playing any league review all settings after creation one-by-one and make a backup when you are satisfied. You may want to copy this Backup directory and rename it for long-term storage. When you click backup in the future, it will not touch the renamed directory. If for some reason you find a problem 10, 20 years out you can easily amend that problem and begin again.

Expect to be frustrated a bit at first. There are many moving parts to the game, but once you get it, you'll appreciate the sophistication. You can choose to micromanage or delegate to your wishes. It is only complicated if you want it to be.

Contents: (use your browser's search feature)

1)
Yearly Cycle
-Regular Season
-Playoffs
-Offseason
-Preseason

2)
When to Promote or Demote MiL Players
-Pitchers
-Batters
-International Complex

3)
General Promotion Tips
General Related Tips

Last edited by NoOne; 03-26-2018 at 09:27 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:38 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Yearly Cycle
* Some things should be timed with your new scouting reports. Anytime they come out, it's a good idea to check-in on important prospects.
**Don't Auto-calculate the League Total Modifiers every year. Clicking it before starting any new leauge is a good idea. After that, use it reactively to a large shift in stats, if at all. Tweak the modifiers individually for any fine tuning. It should ebb and flow a healthy amount. Auto-calculate for the Minors as much as you want. The tighter it is, the better you understand quality relative to baseline per individual player.
*** If you lock important prospects, you can delegate MiL Depth charts and MiL Promotions/Demotions. You don't have to ask AI to setup minor leagues, below. I am leaving that in as a bookmark for assessing your MiL system -- either 100% by hand or automated with select prospects being locked etc. If you make some massive changes to a team before a game is played that day, you may want to ask the AI to set up that depth chart, or possible the entire system. It will safely jostle enough players, but it won't call up reinforcemnts for that 1 game. Simming a day will cause it to adjust on its own given proper delegation from your manager's office settings..

Regular Season:

-Opening Day, Before any games are palyed
....click Auto-calc for full-season MLB / MiLs that start soon, if needed.
....Preseason Predictions with 25-man rosters set league-wide
....Finalize 40-Man Roster, return Spring Training players to AAA, if you have not.
....Finalize MiL Setup (more details below, same each time)

-Day of First Year Amatuer Draft
.....Move 18+ players from International Complex to Minor League System (new scouting values)
.....Apply League-level locks to recently drafted prospects / former International Complex players of note and shortlist them
.....Assess MiL locked prospects - promote/demote/remove/add
.....Release minor Leaguers that are dead weight
.....Ask AI to setup complete Minor League System around your hand-locked players
.....Auto-calc short season minor leagues after the draft is completed but before their seasons start, if needed

-Play until International Amateur FA Signing begins
.....Immediately bid on wanted players
.....If 18, move to Minors. Lock and Shortlist, if needed
.....Assess MiL locked prospects - promote/demote/remove/add (assure rookie placement is good, and any borderlines - 1 month, so be forgiving - my league differs here, so adjust this as necessary -> give enough time after draft)
.....Ask AI to setup complete Minor League System

-Play until 1 month left of A-AAA schedule left

-Sign personnel as you lose them at the end of each MiL season.

Playoffs:

-Set Roster for Playoffs
.....Set all substitutions to never
.....Set 4-man rotation
.....Set Rotation Strategy to strict

-End of Playoff Run:
.....Set MLB Rotation size and strategy for regular season
.....Set MLB depth chart and lineups for regular season

Offseason: order noted when important

-Set budgets
-Manually pick awards?
-Cull Minors before offering extensions

-Day One of Arbitration
.....1 Assess MiL locked prospects - promote*/demote/remove/add - ***wait on MLB promotions
.....2 Ask AI to setup complete Minor League System
.....3 Offer long-term contracts to arbitration eligible players - if not a "keeper" still look for a bargain
.....4 Trade assets for MLB replacements and/or near future needs
.....5 Salary Arbitration / Qualifying Offers
.....0 Offer no-cost MiL Extensions to MiL players listed on Salary Arbitration screen or Front Office/Upcoming FA

-Free Agency
.....1 Sign FA MLB needs and depth / Trade replaced player etc
.....2 promote any to MLB if way overqualified for AAA after relevant FA signings, otherwise wait until end of Spring Training to add to 40-man Roster, if flexibility is still needed. Don't move to 40-man until absolutely necessary.

-New Year's Day

Preseason:

-Set Intl Amateur FA Signing Cap after you have spent your FA money.
-Assess MiL locked prospects - promote/demote/remove/add

Spring Training

-Day One
.....Promote locked AAA players and any needed filler for rest to spring training roster
.....Set depth charts and lineups for spring training

-End of Spring Training + April 1 for new scouting report, if not beyond opening day (assumes better scouting budget than minors*)
.....Lock and shortlist any of note
.....Assess MiL locked prospects - promote/demote/remove/add (use ratings while in MLB after scouting report*)
.....Set MLB depth charts and lineups - check rotation size and player strategies!

Go To Beginning of post

Last edited by NoOne; 03-21-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

When to Promote or Demote MiL Players

Some notes, skip if you want:

Above all other things, focus on development. If their ratings keep increasing, they are fine regardless of their performance. I'd strongly suggest testing the waters of any promotion. a week or two of futility won't ruin anyone's career.

Stats-only is more reactive in nature, but essentially the same thing. It's just as inaccurate at rookie league due to ever small sample sizes and quickly changing player's ratings, albeit unseen. Stats lag behind ratings improvement of current ratings, or a reduction of current ratings for that matter. Simply relate the best stat to the fundamental ratings of the game. Use rates of those closely-tied stats relative to league baselines to guage promotions/demotions. Pitchers are, as always, much more difficult to guage this way than batters. I'd strongly suggest testing the waters of any promotion. a week or two of futility won't ruin anyone's career.

The ~lower-to-middle of values are listed below, but not necessarily the "optimal" values for each level - knock yourself out tweaking. Demote if they perform uniformly badly... because a monrth or 3 is a very small sample, you must consider a very large range of results to be ~normal.

*"-ish" = around, "+" means at least that value or higher.

*relivers/starters - Elevated stuff, movement or control can allow for a weakness relative to any MiL level.

*this is only for locked prospects from above, which are assumed to be better-than-average talent. Low-end prospect promotions, if not delegated, should be handled differently to maximize MiL wins for your better prospects morale and such.

*Remember that stats in each MiL will not necessarily mirror your MLB. If you don't know what average or baseline is for each league you can't do a meaningful evaluation of their stats. Ratings are more reliable than stats for almost all accuracy settings. If stats-only settings, test the waters, but allowing a sample to grow is necessary. If you demote quickly after a promotion, I'd suggest to stick with it. the rest of that season.

*1-100 scale used, not relative to any league or position. Same ratings no matter what league you view the player. Otherwise, your ratings will float due to current talent levels in the respective MiLs changing from year to year. These settings give greater clarity for promotions. You can workaround that, if you prefer different settings. The smaller the scale, the more leeway you must give on the values below and the more important stats become to verifying that they are not overmatched.

*I may need to edit the ratings, but they are close. The Pitchers will never be 'perfect' because of the complexities compared to batters. The editor values are spot on, though. No matter what stats that MiL league results in, it will translate to your game world. It's a common denominator. A rosetta stone, if you will. This is something I knew by rote at one time, but no more. I am in the process of hammering them out again.

*Age - Let their development and statistical results make the decision for you. If player ratings are sky-rocketing, who cares if they are hitting ".100" or have an 8.00era. If you see poor results and little movement on ratings, a young player may need to be at a lower level than his ratings suggest. Some ~18 y.o. can handle AAA/MLB and some cannot. A great thing when it does happen.

Pitchers

...are complicalted. If a third pitch hasn't developed by AA/AAA, stats may begin to suffer. Either stick with it unti ~24-26 or convert them to an RP and write that third pitch off as a loss.

Control is more important for starters than relievers when it comes to promotions. The ratings given below are for SP. Expect a bit higher stuff/movement for RP.

*All three of the major pitching ratings need to be considered for pitchers. If control is too low, too many walks are a problem, allow stats to dictate relative to leage baseline. If stuff or movement is too low, they get hammered (again, relative to baselines). You get comfortable with what works for you over time.

AAA

Age can be a problem, but let it show in the stats before you make that decision. Better yet, allow development to dictate whether they are too young. If it stagnates, demote them. This goes for any level below and batters too.

Average SP Ratings for promotion
50's / 50's / 40+ -- (stu/mov/con)

AA

Average Ratings
45ish / 45ish / 35+

A

Average player
35ish / 35-40 / 30ish

Short-A

Average player
25ish / 25ish / 25ish

Rookie

The rest, obviously.

Batters -- WAY simpler!

AAA
Contact - 45+

Power may blossom at AA/AA, or possibly by age ~26. If not by ~26. it's not likely to happen. Age 28-30 = nearly 100% not happening. It is a component of Contact, so true power hitters can see huge boosts to contact late in the development process -- very possibly after they make the MLB.

AA
Contact - 40+

A
Contact - 35+

Short-A
Conctact - 25-30

Rookie - the rest

International Complex Ppromotions:

*More guess than fact in this section

If rated well, i'd move them as soon as they are 18. If they are low-quality, I move them to fill positions of need starting with the oldest. There is an age 20 cap in the complex. They do improve, in the complex, but it is a lower level than Rookie in this regard and whatever that entails.

Same reasons you promote to any other level should be considered here for your better prosepcts. Age is more of a factor. Six years before MiL free agency, so, if you move at 16 they are reaching FA / option years during peak development years. That's not optimal, but again let ratings dictate. Expect even less accurate ratings in complex compared to Rookie League.

I think this is your MiL Scouting Budget, as of OotP 18. I would expect this to remain the same. Without international leagues, you can zero out that scouting budget and redistribute as you wish - development, payroll, the other 3 scouting budgets, etc.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-09-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Edit: better values for promotions, minor edits elsewhere
Old 09-27-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

General Promotion Tips:

Make sure you don't have multiple high-end prospects fighting each other for playing time at any particular MiL Level. This is where you may need to use a forced role on a position player.

Cull the minors of very poorly rated players before the draft and at the end of the season. This makes offering minor league contracts at the end of the season in bulk very easy with just 1 or 2 filters on the Upcoming FA screen.

Offer Minor league contracts in the offseason to the "Filler" players in your Minors. If you've done a good job culling the minors year-to-year, you will offer almost all of them another year in your system with very little effort involved. This will be the single easiest thing you can do to improve your MiL win/loss records. It takes way less time and effort than sifting through MiL FAs for vialbe filler options.

Don't move them every month! Stick to a schedule as suggested in the outline - which just says to look at them, not that you have to do anything at that time. You will learn nothing useful from 1 month of stats. For those few exceptions, it is because the player is borderline and you are actively choosing to give them a 2-month trial at that level.

2-month Trials: Focus more on their development. That should be your ONLY focus in the minors, if your goal is to maximize MLB wins. Unless stats are wicked bad or good, don't react to them. If you think the ratings are wrong, then act accordingly. If you don't see upward ticks in scouting or development reports he either is a slacker, getting unlucky, or possibly overmatched... so use the info available to make a good decision.

During the offseason things can change significantly. I am not sure if it matters in the offseason which MiL team they are on... nonetheless, I make sure to promote throughout the offseason, just in case. Since being on the Active roster means they stay in game-ready shape, i assume the roster a prospect is on should fit their ability even in the offseason.

Spring Training: I'd move any AAA player and any borderline one. If their contact suggests they can hit .240-.250, i'm okay with it. If you stuck to the suggestions above, any AA/AAA picther should be good enough for RP work. If you use a 6th SP in ST, like me, make sure they are at least a capable AAA SP. I typically stick to AAA'ers, and only use AA'ers if i don't have enough to rest my players 1/2rd-1/5th of the time, depending on position. e.g. My catcher only goes 1/2 the time in ST.

Since positions change and team need play a role, make sure they are play the position in the field that they are listed as. This is probably more important for Morale, but may affect other things too. The ai will switch RP/SP, but won't change the position of a third basemen who plays everyday as the shortstop.

General Related Tips:

Use Service time limits at the lower levels, if you want to do such things. Don't be too strict or you will create a bottle neck. I'd suggest matching # of years you allow at Rookie level to match up with # of rounds in your draft and the most rookie teams any 1 MLB team owns.

e.g. - Let's say one team has 4 rookie leages and we have a 35 round draft. If you only allow 2 years at rookie level, you will be short a large number of players. ~70 plus a few stragglers from July 2nd IAFA or scouting discoveries each year is not going to fill those 4 teams. Discoveries have a hard time making it beyond a-ball. So, you either need to allow ~3years+and extra round or 2, or you need to severely bump up #of rounds to provide ~110-120 players in 2 years of drafting.

Any type of disparity of # of Rookie teams per MLB will cause will cause some teams to inevitably have "too many" players. This is okay. Always make sure the larges system of teams has enough players, or you will have to artificially add some or use ghost players. (any real world MLB league will come with this mathematical behavior)

I'd avoid age limits at Rookie due to the wide range of ages in an amatuer draft. If you want to use age and service time limits at Short-a and beyond, make sure not to create and mathematical bottlenecks. The bulk of players will move based on these rules as opposed to freelying moving upward. Figure only ~5-10 per year, per team will need that sort of freedom. The rest should provide enough numbers to cover for injuries.

At AAA, i'd reverse my suggestion and go with just an Age limit, if any. This should not interfere with rehab assignments. When you use age limits at any level, hopefully no more than 5-10 are anywhere near maxed out at any particular time for that level. Too many would be a bad sign and a very likely bottleneck in your system of MiL service and age limit rules.

Be wary of "Forcing" a player to play a specific position. Mostly you'll only need it to force a SP/RP role, if you have a glut of OF or IF at one particular minor league level, or if you want to gain experience at a new position. Allowing the manager to move them around or you rotating them with forced positions allows for multi-positional experience before they reach the MLB.

As you Draft amatuers or sign int'l amatuer FA, before the draft completes, they will all be in your lowest MiL level. It's way easier to lock the important ones en masse before they scatter throughout your system due to AI delegation. This just saves time and less likely to lose track of them.

Draft as much talent as you can - not based on need. Trade players in positions of value that don't fit your mold. e.g. I hate huge L/R batting ratings splits. If i have a stud that can't hit lefties, or worse righties, I will jump at a chance to use them as part of a trade to a team that values that player highly. You can get a very good return on these types of players.

SP, SP, SP... If you have a steady pipeline of home-grown pitchers, you can save TONS of money!! Plus they trade well in almost any situation. sub-30 is my happy zone for SP. if i have older SP it's because they are a lifer and i enjoy running up career stats of certain deserving players, but it's better to trade them before that point. With normal accuacy, don't expect many all-star calliber SP by the ~3rd round and sometimes before round 2 begins in a weak draft year.

College kids read as you see them most of the time. 18 year-olds are more likely to develop a healthy chunk of velocity by the time they hit ~22. So, their Stuff rating potentially reads lower than it could be. high risk, high reward. If they don't increase velocity, you are stuck with a 4th/5th starter with little to no trade value, at best.

Draft batting prowess, not defense. Some exceptions for SS and C, of course, and to a lesser extent CF, too. Don't base that on their position listed in the Draft, either... base it on what their defensive abilities will likely equate to. Experience is an unseen rating. Look at MLB players with similar ability and that's what the prospects will have with "full" experience at that position.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-21-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: lowered service time suggestions
Old 09-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
drhay53
Major Leagues

Can you explain what you mean by auto-calc short season minor leagues?
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhay53 View Post
Can you explain what you mean by auto-calc short season minor leagues?
Some Minor Leagues start in June, or ~1/2 the way through a normal minor league season. usually called Short-A... although i guess the DSL starts early and finishes eary - take care of that one same as A-AAA after MLB opening day.

you can autocalc for these leagues once the MiL seasons start, but their rosters won't be the entire ones used during the year until after the draft. So, if you want to click it for those leagues, then do so on their opening day or likely anytime after the draft completes and AI has set up all their rosters - as well as humans for that matter.

For some reason when i check "auto-calculate automatically" (or similar wording) for my MiL teams, it does not autocalc each year. I don't use it in Majors unless using Real players, and only while transitioning to fictional players.

In general, if i say to do somethign on a specific date, etc... , it's very likely because the AI does somethign important that day or the day before - excluding obvious reasons like first day of "?????"

Last edited by NoOne; 10-02-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:06 AM   #7
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Thanks! Post set to sticky!
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Yeah, this is very nice! Thanks for your hard work on it

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
Krillo
Minors (Single A)

editor

am a real newbie to the game. so could you explain what mean whit the editor on pitchers??
Krillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krillo View Post
am a real newbie to the game. so could you explain what mean whit the editor on pitchers??
if you have "Comissioner" mode on, when you go into the player's profile, then click "Editor" tab at the top of that profile page, you will see additional information.

the exact ratings on a 0-200 point scale are found here. it also gives rough estimates of production relative to their ratings in a "modern mlb environment."

That's what i am referring to. So, regardless of our league's differences in resulting statistical norms, that will translate well.

you may find you need a little less or a little more in your league?? but if close to default i would expect "Competency" to be the same ratings as listed, but different statistical results in each minor league or major league.

it should stay proportional as long as you don't play around with Player creation modifiers or significantly change # of new players per year your legaue introduces. (unless well-tailored to smaller or larger league than default) any other settings of this nature, too.

this is also why using service time limits to prevent old has-beens from elevating league talent levels is a good idea. without hamstringing your league's development, you want to keep that in check a bit... oldies in places they shouldnt be... age limits cause mroe problems then they solve, imo. i can handle a handful of older mil players per AA team. that won't cause many problems, if at all serious.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-25-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #11
Stonewall458
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
Batters -- WAY simpler!

AAA
Contact - 40+
Editor - .240ish

AA
Contact - 35ish
Editor - .220-.230

A
Contact - 30ish
Editor - .205-.215

Short-A
Conctact - 25ish
Editor - .185+
Are the editor ratings in the batter section batting average or OBP? Something else?
Stonewall458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall458 View Post
Are the editor ratings in the batter section batting average or OBP? Something else?

the ratings i give for batter is just contact.

the # from the editor for batters is batting average.

Those contact ratings should be way more useful than the ratings igave for pitchers... you can likely bypass the editor info from the start on batters... with pitchign you may need to learn a few nuances thorugh the editor (at least it speeds up the process). looking in the editor for batter will give you an idea of scouting inaccuracy, though... so some benefit until you understand that factor.

due to scouting inacuracy, especially at Rookie and lower levels, you definitely need to cross-reference results relative to the average in that leageu (aveage slash can be found in Stats and AI settings page -- must autocalculate modifiers each year for this to be valid each year).

If you don't have a good feel for Runs scored relative to a slash line for a league, take a peek at the end of the year for the league's overall ERA to make sure they aren't getting run over relative to average. as long as you autocalc the LTMs, the resulting ERA's should be an understandible average regardless of what year it is... as with the slash line -- so if it fluctuates aroudn 4.09... use 4.09 not the particular year's result (with autocalc'ed LTM).

allow some give and take in those values due to scouting inaccuracy.

also those are 1-100 scale, make sure you convert to your scale. that will add that much more leeway on a smaller scale (inaccuracy plus effects of rounding).

e.g. if i see a guy with a suposed 20/100 contact batting .350+ in my rookei league, which is ~.318 average i think), i'm confident that my scout has a bad read ont his player and i will promote.

.350 for a month is not the same as what i wrote, lol... since you'll be working with small samples it is never a black and white decision... well it is very very rarely a black and white decision unless you let them simmer on purpose.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-10-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 AM   #13
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

update: those ratings for the minors looks good still - maybe a tick higher is better, but it's not meant to be a line in the sand. most play with scouting inaccuracy turned on, anyway.

with inaccuracy set to normal or at least on in some fashion, you want to err a bit on the conservative side... when it's borderline, use those stats as a tie-breaker.

use stats that require a smaller sample size to know with some certainty. most importantly, if you don't know what an ~average baseline is for that league and that stat, then the info cannot tell you much.

never overreact to a ~10ERA after 1 or 2 starts after you bump. trust the ratings for longer than that. use smaller sample size stats (google "baseball sample size" -> fangraph result and i'm sure other sites with more info too.)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #14
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Hey, ever thought of putting together a loose guide to putting together batting lineups?

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #15
Bulldawgz24
Minors (Triple A)

Where do you autocalc for minor league teams as you mentioned in your original post?

Also, do you try to keep approx. 25 players on each minor league team? So you don't have players fighting for playing time? Most teams in my minor league system are at or around 25 except for the lower level which have 40+. Should I get rid of some "dead weight" to get down to 25 for each?
Bulldawgz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #16
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

I've got multiple posts in old forums about batting lineup... so many variables. different financial realities of teams.. so many eras to account for... i am only experienced to speak about a more modern-like statistical environment. there are a ton of those threads if you are looking for new ideas.

if you read through my posts about lineups, i bet i even contradict myself at different times, lol.

add "site:www.ootpdevelopments.com" to any google search... limits it to the ootp forums and way better than the forum search.

Auto-Calc is locaced in the same area as MLB -- but at top-right portion there is a drop down box that should say Major League... name of your ML league. simply click and select the minor league you want.

this drop down as well as "Available Actions," located in same area of screen, have some usfefulness and easy to miss / forget about. basically on any settings screen take a peak in that area of the screen.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-15-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #17
Bad Scooter
Minors (Single A)

Couple of questions...

1. What is a league-level lock?

2. When you talk about ratings for promotion (e.g. "Average SP Ratings for promotion 50's / 50's / 40ish" is this for promotion from AA to AAA or from AAA to the Majors?
Bad Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #18
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Answer for one questions:
A league level lock is in the player strategy tab. If the AI is running the minors the choice to lock a player at a minor league level prevents the AI from promoting or demoting the player.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:43 PM   #19
ThePretender
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Scooter View Post
Couple of questions...

2. When you talk about ratings for promotion (e.g. "Average SP Ratings for promotion 50's / 50's / 40ish" is this for promotion from AA to AAA or from AAA to the Majors?
The poster above me answered question 1, but I believe question two is that is the ratings he should have in order to be at that level.

Though I don't know if batters should be like that - for instance, a batter could have contact for AA level, but maybe avoid K for rookie ball. In that instance, you might have to alter the plan of just "focus on contact".
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #20
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Scooter View Post
Couple of questions...

yeah, that looks like ~AAA to me, give or take for a pitcher...

those are ~minimum-to-average to be promoted to that level... although maybe 45/45/~40 is good enough too, for example... so much more goes into it than those three ratings for pitchers (pitch selection, SP vs RP.. RP's need little less control, bit more stuf/move than what i list for SP above, for example)... these ratings will merely speed up the learning curve a slight amount for you... as you dink around you'll have your own ideas of where these demarcation lines are in your own perspective.

while i do consider results/stats when borderline promotion decisions are being made, i mainly am concerned about development... if their ratings are sky-rocketing i could care less if they are hitting .000. my goal is 100% producing MLB talent. everything is geared toward that end with little concern for anything else.

as far as a lagging ratings like pretender mentions, i'll also consider potential of that lagging rating....

for example, if they can only get to ~40/100, i'm not too worried if they are 20's/100 at AAA for eye or avoid k's (ignore power in minors, except its repercussions on ratings -- ie a great player hides while power undeveloped. when it develops contact will increase alot)

this type of player is the one that has a major hole in their game, but still can produce offesnively. e.g. low eye, very high average can work lead-off with no power (ichiro-esque) ... high power/decent average but a SO machine (too many to choose from-esque), lol... you get the idea.

if they can hit for good average, they can be useful in the majors even if 8-9 in lineup and finish developing, that's why i use Contact as the "track" for batting prospects. you can't say that about any of the other ratings when they stand alone to the same extent.

1) i've been not playing for a bit now... it's in the right-click context menu too i think... if not, context menu can lead to player strategy, too. i know it has that for sure. then there's the checkbox as mentioned above.

beware of forcing positions... i'd only use it to control learning other positions and in rare cases where you have 2 decent prospects at the same position and for some reason one is on the bench. i typically let the gm's randomly do the position stuff saves effort. plus ST, when that's viable.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-12-2017 at 12:01 PM.