Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2016, 12:47 AM   #1
demons19
Minors (Double A)

Training

Can someone give me a quick explanation how you actually train players?
I found the screen, checked a few boxes, saw how it starts at 20 and the more guys you select, the lower it goes. So I am guessing its allocating time/energy to that player and based on your coaching......Problem is, each month you get a development report and it never matches what I just did. There appears to be no correlation between what I try to train and what happens. In fact my first 2 months I did not train at all and got similar reports. I need some advice or I may be hurting my team badly here.
Thanks
demons19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

From the Manual:

Quote:
Another area in which FHM2 has made significant changes is the player development system. Player development in FHM2 is based on the concept of development speeds. These speeds can vary for many reasons: the player's potential, the stage of his career, the level of competition, his playing time, injuries, and more. There's also a random element which can cause development to speed up or down from year to year.

A rapid development speed will mean very frequent improvements to a player's attributes; these can happen at a rate of one per month per category (or, in very special cases, even more often than that.) The user has some passive control over this by placing the player in favourable development circumstances and keeping him happy, but also one active tool: training.

Training decisions are made in the training view of any roster page. Here, you can single out specific players for extra coaching attention by clicking on the assignment boxes beside their name, broken down into individual attribute categories. This extra attention awards coaching bonus points to the player, which can significantly boost his development speed.

The largest coaching bonus a player can receive in a category is 20 points. Each team has a variable number of bonus points available in each category, determined by the quality and skills of their coaching staff - you can get an idea of the relative strengths and weaknesses of the staff by consulting the star ratings at the bottom of the personnel screen.

Since there are a limited number of coaching bonus points available, if you nominate too many players for extra attention, you will see the bonus points they receive drop as the coaching resources are spread thinner and thinner. There is no such limitation on the players; they can be trained in all four categories at once if you wish.

Goalies can only be trained in two categories, Mental and Goaltending, and only one goalie at a time can receive training in a particular category at a time. So, if you're carrying three goaltenders, one will be unable to get special attention.

Moving a player off a roster will lose all of his bonus points for that month, so be careful about shuttling players back and forth from the minors frequently, as it can impede their development.

Aging works like development, only in reverse. At a certain point, the game will determine that a player is going to start going downhill (there are actually two separate elements to this, physical and skill decline, and they don't necessarily start at the same time.) Once that happens, he gets a decline speed, which begins to eat away at his attributes. You can slow the process somewhat by giving him special coaching attention, but he'll inevitably regress faster than you can prop him up, and at some point either he or you will need to make a tough decision about his future in hockey and/or with the team.
Regardless of whether you're telling a player to develop in on particular area using the boxes - players are still going to develop. The training page can just help guide a player a certain way. For instance, you may want a poor defensive player to work on his defensive stats, so over time, you will see that stat number increase.

But, just because you want him working towards one goal doesn't mean he won't work towards others. A player playing more is going to learn about Stamina without you having to tell him, and leaders are going to lead. It's just the way it is and should be.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
demons19
Minors (Double A)

So does this mean if I did nothing and checked no boxes, players will develop over time?
And that this area of training is extra/bonus to try and stear certain players a bit quicker hopefully?
demons19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by demons19 View Post
So does this mean if I did nothing and checked no boxes, players will develop over time?
And that this area of training is extra/bonus to try and stear certain players a bit quicker hopefully?
Players will still develop yes. As Sebastian mentioned in a different topic, each player has his own growth and decrease line. Using the additional training (as well as how good or not your coaches are as well) can help speed up up train a player a particular way or slow down a decrease.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Development is made up of many different factors and training is just one of them. Factors also are age, level of play (player might be in the wrong level), playing time, coaches, hidden attributes like coachability and even just luck/bad luck.