Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 02-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

I'm so confused by league totals (and modifiers)

So this link describes my current situation in my fictional MLB league.

I have no idea how these league totals and modifiers work in the game, so I'm going to runoff a bunch of questions about them.

Do the league totals change every year by themself? If so, is it random?

What do the modifiers have to do with the league totals?

Let's say I decrease the league totals, what will happen to the ratings of each player? What will happen to the ratings if I change the modifiers?

I have no idea how to go about decreasing the offense in my league in a realistic way. SO CONFUSED!

Thanks
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Here's a tip: don't mess with them unless you know what you're doing. I have a highly customized majors quickstart, and I haven't even touched LTMs.

Use the player-creation modifiers as I suggested earlier, because they're easier to use. It will take a year or two longer to even out, but it will be a much smoother transition into modern MLB stats.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Here's a tip: don't mess with them unless you know what you're doing. I have a highly customized majors quickstart, and I haven't even touched LTMs.

Use the player-creation modifiers as I suggested earlier, because they're easier to use. It will take a year or two longer to even out, but it will be a much smoother transition into modern MLB stats.
Ok, I'm interested. If I lower these, will they eventually lower the league totals?

Will changing these lower the ratings of draftees (make them worse) compared to previous draft classes? I don't know how these will affect the players and their ratings.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
So this link describes my current situation in my fictional MLB league.

I have no idea how these league totals and modifiers work in the game, so I'm going to runoff a bunch of questions about them.
Quote:
Do the league totals change every year by themself? If so, is it random?
Depending on your league possibly yes but likely no. In fictional leagues it is a definite no. I can't comment on other styles.

Quote:
What do the modifiers have to do with the league totals?
League totals are the desired result. League total modifiers are the necessary adjustments needed because OOTP is such a dynamic creation. Player ratings distribution is incredibly variable. No one human player has the definitive set up. There are way too many variables that occur from each individual league creation and all of the strategic tendencies set by the human player to provide expected results. LTM and autocalc are the virtual limit controls necessary to keep results in line with expectations.

Quote:
Let's say I decrease the league totals, what will happen to the ratings of each player? What will happen to the ratings if I change the modifiers?
Nothing. Nothing. Ratings are relative.

Quote:
I have no idea how to go about decreasing the offense in my league in a realistic way. SO CONFUSED!

Thanks
Determine what batting and pitching you want and I'm sure we can help you get there. The only caveat is if your league is set up in some unrealistic way. A realistic set up and 2-5 seasons is all it takes.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post

Yeah i remember when we had to manually input the totals and adjust them.
It was a headache.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #6
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Depending on your league possibly yes but likely no. In fictional leagues it is a definite no. I can't comment on other styles.

League totals are the desired result. League total modifiers are the necessary adjustments needed because OOTP is such a dynamic creation. Player ratings distribution is incredibly variable. No one human player has the definitive set up. There are way too many variables that occur from each individual league creation and all of the strategic tendencies set by the human player to provide expected results. LTM and autocalc are the virtual limit controls necessary to keep results in line with expectations.

Nothing. Nothing. Ratings are relative.

Determine what batting and pitching you want and I'm sure we can help you get there. The only caveat is if your league is set up in some unrealistic way. A realistic set up and 2-5 seasons is all it takes.
Thanks for these answers! Eventually I just want to get league totals back closer to how it is today. Maybe somewhere inbetween modern MLB and and how my league is now.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Easiest thing to do is select a year and let the game populate the modifiers for you. I have a heavily-modded universe and have been playing OOTP for a decade and I can't remember the last time I had to mess around with these.

Name:  Untitled-1.png
Views: 1254
Size:  387.6 KB

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 02-15-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #8
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Easiest thing to do is select a year and let the game populate the modifiers for you. I have a heavily-modded universe and have been playing OOTP for a decade and I can't remember the last time I had to mess around with these.

Attachment 438567
This is what I do, only I constantly use 1984, and hit auto-calc the day before the regular season. Works beautifully. Way better than I could ever get it to work by fumbling around with LTMs or worse yet League Totals.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

With all due respect if you want to maintain an era specific stat output in a fictional universe into the future some other adjustments are required. I wish it wasn't so but it is necessary. Retirements and draft choices move ratings distribution.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 02-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #10
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
With all due respect if you want to maintain an era specific stat output in a fictional universe into the future some other adjustments are required. I wish it wasn't so but it is necessary. Retirements and draft choices move ratings distribution.
Oh really?

I might just give up honestly because I don't want to make things more unfixable if I screw something up.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh really?

I might just give up honestly because I don't want to make things more unfixable if I screw something up.
Don't give up. Look when I joined and how many posts. This has been a 12 year journey of love for this game. My son and I spent 30 minutes tonight exchanging ideas on what certain players mean to us. He, with no hesitation, told me that my best player in one of my long term sims was a 5 hitter v RHP (3 vs LHP), while I was stubbornly putting him at 3 v both. The OOTP AI and 24rocks was right!!

RichW

#stopthestupid

Old 02-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #12
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Oh, well I meant I would give up on trying to reverse the trend in this one league so I don't make it worse. I still love OOTP!