Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-15-2014, 01:30 AM   #1
Jeffy25
Hall Of Famer

The two things I have wanted in the next OOTP (arb buy-outs, more challenging free agent acquisition

1. I would really like pre-arb and arb players and their contracts to be negotiated more closely with real life. Let's say I have Mike Stanton and I'm the Marlins and it's 2012. Currently if I go to talk to him about an extension when the guy has 4 years before he is a free agent and is still pre-arb. If I want to ask him what he wants, he wants something like 1 year and 6.5 million, which is basically me just giving him a raise from league min to 6.5 million for no reason. I should be able to make him a 4 year offer that buys out his remaining arb years at an elevator rate, so 650k in 2012, 3 mil in 2013, 6 mil in 2014, 9 mil in 2015 and then two club option years in 2016 and 2017 for 16 mil each. But under the current set up, you can't possibly get any Matt Moore, Evan Longoria contracts. I would like to be able to do that. Of course some players don't have to have any interest in it, but it would be a huge upgrade IMO. It's certainly the future of MLB contracts this next decade.

2. More difficulty getting the free agents I want every off-season. For me it's far too easy. If I have 9 targets, and I negotiate with each, I always get basically all of them, especially the minor league deals. This has to be the only thing that Baseball Mogul still has over OOTP. Players have interests. Teams they would rather play for, maybe it's because they are winners, maybe it's because they are from that teams area, maybe it's because of a particular player or coach on that team, or maybe it's just the money. I also like how you can make offers to a player, and then another team still has a chance to match or beat your offer, and you are also given that opportunity. So just because you offer a guy 5 years and 14 million, doesn't mean he either takes it or doesn't. He can take that offer to another team or ask you to match (if already in negotiations) another teams offer if he has interest in negotiating with you further. Or maybe you have to beat it because there is another offer on the table he likes better.

My dream world. Every free agent has a list of 4-8 teams he will even want to talk to. It will say under interests (and this is based on the players wants, where he is from, team mates, coaches, greed, if the team has been a winner for a few years in a row) something like CHC, BOS, MIL, HOU, STL, NYY, LAA as the teams he will be most interested in. It doesn't mean that player won't sign with an outside team, but it might take a little more work. Maybe more money, maybe the right years, maybe the right incentives to talk him into it. Or maybe he doesn't have other suitors.

I also wish that free agents actually wanted longer term deals like they get in real life. Pujols always seemed to sign 3 and 4 year deals in OOTP12, well he obviously got longer than that, and I think players in their prime years should be shooting for longer term years.

I would just really like the free agent process to be improved, it's currently my least favorite aspect of the game and I always have to put self imposed rules on myself and friends when we do solo play.

I do realize that OOTP has done a bit to improve this over the years, but it's still what I think could be improved more.

Keep up the great work!
Jeffy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
captaincoop17
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
1. I would really like pre-arb and arb players and their contracts to be negotiated more closely with real life. Let's say I have Mike Stanton and I'm the Marlins and it's 2012. Currently if I go to talk to him about an extension when the guy has 4 years before he is a free agent and is still pre-arb. If I want to ask him what he wants, he wants something like 1 year and 6.5 million, which is basically me just giving him a raise from league min to 6.5 million for no reason. I should be able to make him a 4 year offer that buys out his remaining arb years at an elevator rate, so 650k in 2012, 3 mil in 2013, 6 mil in 2014, 9 mil in 2015 and then two club option years in 2016 and 2017 for 16 mil each. But under the current set up, you can't possibly get any Matt Moore, Evan Longoria contracts. I would like to be able to do that. Of course some players don't have to have any interest in it, but it would be a huge upgrade IMO. It's certainly the future of MLB contracts this next decade.

2. More difficulty getting the free agents I want every off-season. For me it's far too easy. If I have 9 targets, and I negotiate with each, I always get basically all of them, especially the minor league deals. This has to be the only thing that Baseball Mogul still has over OOTP. Players have interests. Teams they would rather play for, maybe it's because they are winners, maybe it's because they are from that teams area, maybe it's because of a particular player or coach on that team, or maybe it's just the money. I also like how you can make offers to a player, and then another team still has a chance to match or beat your offer, and you are also given that opportunity. So just because you offer a guy 5 years and 14 million, doesn't mean he either takes it or doesn't. He can take that offer to another team or ask you to match (if already in negotiations) another teams offer if he has interest in negotiating with you further. Or maybe you have to beat it because there is another offer on the table he likes better.

My dream world. Every free agent has a list of 4-8 teams he will even want to talk to. It will say under interests (and this is based on the players wants, where he is from, team mates, coaches, greed, if the team has been a winner for a few years in a row) something like CHC, BOS, MIL, HOU, STL, NYY, LAA as the teams he will be most interested in. It doesn't mean that player won't sign with an outside team, but it might take a little more work. Maybe more money, maybe the right years, maybe the right incentives to talk him into it. Or maybe he doesn't have other suitors.

I also wish that free agents actually wanted longer term deals like they get in real life. Pujols always seemed to sign 3 and 4 year deals in OOTP12, well he obviously got longer than that, and I think players in their prime years should be shooting for longer term years.

I would just really like the free agent process to be improved, it's currently my least favorite aspect of the game and I always have to put self imposed rules on myself and friends when we do solo play.

I do realize that OOTP has done a bit to improve this over the years, but it's still what I think could be improved more.

Keep up the great work!

I second both of these. Completely agree with everything.
captaincoop17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

Keep up the great work!
Great post. I agree strongly with #2 and would love if it was implemented.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, I've bought out arbitration years with long-term deals before in 14. Not quite the same kind of escalating contract you are envisioning, but it can certainly be done. Just because the player is asking for a 1-year deal doesn't mean they won't accept a long term contract.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Jeffy25
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
FWIW, I've bought out arbitration years with long-term deals before in 14. Not quite the same kind of escalating contract you are envisioning, but it can certainly be done. Just because the player is asking for a 1-year deal doesn't mean they won't accept a long term contract.
Yes, but it's not elevator based, and none of them mirror real life very well.

There aren't any contracts even like the Buster Posey one.
Jeffy25 is offline   Reply With Quote