Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
webrian
Minors (Triple A)

Brian, the Unhappy Whale

This is Brian. Brian is a whale.

Not the kind that lives in the ocean. That kind of whale is way cooler than Brian.

Brian is an OOTP Perfect Team whale.

Brian wanted a good team. So Brian wanted good cards. Good cards = good team in Brian's mind.

Brian is impatient and unimaginative.

Brian likes to win. Winning is fun. OOTP Perfect Team is fun.

But sometimes winning isn't as fun as it should be.

Brian's team was 18 games over .500 after 42 games.

Brian stacked up his team with lots and lots and lots of gold players, diamond players, and even some perfect players.

Brian plays in a Silver league.

Brian thought others would stack their teams too. That was Brian's excuse.

But really Brian just wanted all the good cards. Like most 11-year-olds. Of course, Brian is wayyyyyyyy older than 11.

Brian feels bad.

Silver, Bronze and Iron leagues are for having fun, for seeing surprising seasons from half-forgotten players, for discovering hidden gems.

Brian had to bring his Formula 1 car to the go-kart track.

Brian had to "dominate."

Now Brian knows he isn't dominating anything.

He lost sight of what made the game fun in the first place.

Don't be like Brian.

<< END >>
webrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrian View Post
This is Brian. Brian is a whale.

Not the kind that lives in the ocean. That kind of whale is way cooler than Brian.

Brian is an OOTP Perfect Team whale.

Brian wanted a good team. So Brian wanted good cards. Good cards = good team in Brian's mind.

Brian is impatient and unimaginative.

Brian likes to win. Winning is fun. OOTP Perfect Team is fun.

But sometimes winning isn't as fun as it should be.

Brian's team was 18 games over .500 after 42 games.

Brian stacked up his team with lots and lots and lots of gold players, diamond players, and even some perfect players.

Brian plays in a Silver league.

Brian thought others would stack their teams too. That was Brian's excuse.

But really Brian just wanted all the good cards. Like most 11-year-olds. Of course, Brian is wayyyyyyyy older than 11.

Brian feels bad.

Silver, Bronze and Iron leagues are for having fun, for seeing surprising seasons from half-forgotten players, for discovering hidden gems.

Brian had to bring his Formula 1 car to the go-kart track.

Brian had to "dominate."

Now Brian knows he isn't dominating anything.

He lost sight of what made the game fun in the first place.

Don't be like Brian.

<< END >>
Excellent post. I had been hemming and hawing about putting money in initially. I put money into Hearthstone. I remember playing Championship Manager and having the most fun with the lower division teams where I could try to find the diamond in the rough instead of playing with a stacked champions's league team. I figured it would be the same with this game. Plus, I have a whole year to climb the ladder.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Excellent post. I had been hemming and hawing about putting money in initially. I put money into Hearthstone. I remember playing Championship Manager and having the most fun with the lower division teams where I could try to find the diamond in the rough instead of playing with a stacked champions's league team. I figured it would be the same with this game. Plus, I have a whole year to climb the ladder.
exactly.... a year and then some.... take some time and enjoy the process....

looking at my team's home screen leaderboards right now, I have guys like Schoolboy Rowe and Elden Auker leading the pitching stats and Jo-Jo Moore, Peanuts Lowery and Heinie Manush leading the batting stats.... when else are some of those guys going to get a shot at a starting spot than now?
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:43 PM   #4
gemini615
All Star Reserve

Brian should have 2 other perfect teams he can register to rectify this.

Of course, this is assuming Brian has truly learned that the ride is much more enjoyable than the destination

Good luck fellow Brian!
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
webrian
Minors (Triple A)

Yes. I actually had a ftp team in OOTP19 that I was able to bring along slowly without spending *much* money (no money until Gold) and now its struggling in Perfect League.

I'm going to start another ftp team in OOTP20. At the moment, I'm even tempted to sell off a lot of the big cards my primary team has and start over with that as well -- or at least bench the big cards until I get in an appropriate league for them.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #6
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

Screw that! It's fun destroying everyone in my path!
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
webrian
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateAverageGuy View Post
Screw that! It's fun destroying everyone in my path!
LOL ... that was the feeling that drove me.

But now when I win, I don't feel happy. I feel relieved for not losing, because a team in Silver League with 5 perfect players, 6 diamond players, 12 gold players and 2 silver players should be beating the team with 1 gold player, a handful of silvers, and a boatload of bronze players.

When I lose, it's maddening.

But it probably makes it even more fun for them. So there's that.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrian View Post
LOL ... that was the feeling that drove me.

But now when I win, I don't feel happy. I feel relieved for not losing, because a team in Silver League with 5 perfect players, 6 diamond players, 12 gold players and 2 silver players should be beating the team with 1 gold player, a handful of silvers, and a boatload of bronze players.

When I lose, it's maddening.

But it probably makes it even more fun for them. So there's that.
I take solace in the fact that even though I'm 37-13, the second place team started whatling after a 4-9 start to now be 32-15. I cant let him take my division, no sir.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:34 PM   #9
bailey
Hall Of Famer

I spent a $100 on packs.
Something I didn't do in 19.
Don't know what came over me.
I ruined my team.
Nearly a 1000 cards of junk.
I'll have more fun with my free to play team.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:58 AM   #10
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

You know what I want? I want a 100 win team that I paid ZERO for. That's something to be proud of. I want to lead the league in Fielding!

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:10 AM   #11
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

When the tournaments start all the good cards will be REALLY fun to use.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #12
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I always felt the funnest part of the game is at the very beginning when you are constantly looking for deals on the market and upgrading spots on your roster. once you get to a point where you just have your team and maybe get enough to buy a 10K player once a year its less fun
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #13
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
I always felt the funnest part of the game is at the very beginning when you are constantly looking for deals on the market and upgrading spots on your roster. once you get to a point where you just have your team and maybe get enough to buy a 10K player once a year its less fun
And it is even less fun when you put yourself in a position where you can only buy a 10k player once every 3 years

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #14
jeffstified
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
You know what I want? I want a 100 win team that I paid ZERO for. That's something to be proud of. I want to lead the league in Fielding!

Here's my FTP pack only team. Almost made it to 100 last year! I keep losing in the division series, so no promotion yet. Maybe this year!

This is PT19. I decided to go the Origin route this year, so don't have PT20 yet.
Attached Images
jeffstified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #15
zrog2000
All Star Starter

The worst thing to do is race to get to perfect unless you are committed to spending as much as every other whale that gets there. Otherwise, all you did was speed your way to being frustrated as hell. Either be a whale or be a FTP player. Spending $50 will quickly get you to perfect to be a permanent punching bag. This is especially true if you start week 1 and have a really easy time getting promoted before the leagues fill up. (16 promotions vs 2 or 4)

Last edited by zrog2000; 03-27-2019 at 01:18 PM.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #16
webrian
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateAverageGuy View Post
I take solace in the fact that even though I'm 37-13, the second place team started whatling after a 4-9 start to now be 32-15. I cant let him take my division, no sir.
My jacked-up team is 42-18 in a Silver League. Surprisingly, that's only the third-best record in my particular league, behind 44-17 and 43-17.

I have a 9-game lead in my division, in early June.

Last night I burned my last 47,000 or so PP to open 47 regular packs. The idea was to store up interesting bronze & silver players for coming tournaments. I still got 4 more diamonds and half a dozen more gold cards, but I'm not bringing them onto my team. Enough is enough.

If I bench all my good players now for bronze & iron players, it'll look like I'm gaming the system. I'll be promoted at the end of the week, and away we will go. I am in the rat race now whether I like it or not. And mostly I don't like it.

Why?

Because there's a level of whaling I can't get to. It's a level only the most affluent (or luckiest) players can reach. Those guys will stock up on demigods like Babe Ruth, Old Hoss Radbourn, Rogers Hornsby, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, etc. They've got the disposable cash to drop $350 **actual dollars** on a highly-coveted card. I don't have that. I don't want to try and hang with that.

But it's where I'm heading now because of my short-sighted enthusiasm.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #17
Warhawk
Major Leagues

I spent ten bucks. What’s that make me, a salmon? Haddock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #18
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
Plankton
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #19
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

One of my ftp teams was "fortunate" enough to get placed in silver. I can only hope i get my butt kicked hard enough (not happening yet) to drop down. In the long run my team that got to start in iron may be better off.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #20
neugey
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure, but Kip Addotta probably has the answer for you -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l1GvDWtccI

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote