Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
Djman319
Bat Boy

Rule 5 Draft

Who was the best player you've ever taken from a team in the Rule 5 Draft
Djman319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:38 AM   #2
Danius
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djman319 View Post
Who was the best player you've ever taken from a team in the Rule 5 Draft
Best real-life player, regardless of production in OOTP? or player you got the most production from in OOTP, regardless of what they look like in MLB?

I don't remember ever getting a MLB star in the Rule 5 draft, so I don't know about the first one. As for the player out of Rule 5 that I have gotten the most production out of, it would have to be Dovydas Neverauskas (in OOTP18). In real life, he was the first Lithuanian-born pitcher to ever pitch in the majors this April, when he made his debut for the Pirates. I got him in the 2017 Rule 5 draft in one of my seasons (after he had a monster season for Indianapolis), and made him my closer. After two seasons, he is 11-3 with a 1.74 ERA/0.96 WHIP and 81 saves in 114 innings (season is 94 games).
Danius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

Name:  chavy.PNG
Views: 619
Size:  332.7 KB
I throw a Cy Young Award winner into the ring. If anybody is wondering, the Astros entered 2020 with Frances Martes(5*), Lance McCullers(4.5*), Forrest Whitley(4.5*), Kevin Gausman(4*) and 2015+2018 AL Cy Young winner Dallas Keuchel(4*)...
Griever20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I got this guy named Dashawn Wings in my A's save sometime in the 2020's. He was a real speedster who played all 3 OF positions well. He has 2 or 3 seasons of 2-4 WAR with me and I was able to flip him in a trade for a SP that helped me win the World Series.

In that same save, I got a lefty reliever named Humberto Berrouet who became a 5 time All Star and one of the best relievers in baseball. Was pitching at a high level well into his 30's and was a big part of many playoff runs.

Oh yeah I forgot about probably my best guy, a SP named TJ Russell I got from the Marlins who was frinegy at best when I picked him up, left him as the long man that first season and then he got a ratings jump and was in my rotation for 3 years, never really living up to his ratings, had 1 All-Star season but compared to his ratings, he under performed, but was able to flip him in a package for one of the best pitchers in baseball who helped me win another World Series

Last edited by wallewalls; 08-10-2017 at 08:31 PM.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #5
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Good question and responses. For me, I can't say I have been that fortunate with Rule 5.

I’d also be curious as to who were a couple of the best waiver pick-ups that folks have managed to acquire. Probably needs a different thread.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

One thing that I have seen was checking for a two way player and converting them. They usually sat as a backup or didn't pitch much. But became useful players after a couple of seasons.
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

By far the best player I've picked up in the Rule 5 draft. This is an online league, Dog Days Baseball. He was picked with the 15th pick in the 2013 Rule 5 draft. He has gone on to be the Reliever of the Year, 2 time SP of the Year, 4x All-Star and been part of back to back Championships. He missed most of the most recent season with partially torn UCL but is back for the 2023 season.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by byzeil; 08-11-2017 at 09:16 PM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

My best was Wilkerman Garcia, SS from the Yankees system....got 5 good seasons from him...included was one great season (7.4 WAR)....good D and a team captain too
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
BravesChop15
Minors (Single A)

The best Rule 5 player I've ever drafted was Colin Moran in OOTP17. I was the Braves and it was around the year 2018 I wanna say. I was in bad need of a 3rd baseman and decided to take a flyer on him. He ended up producing multiple 4-5 WAR seasons including one season where he finished second in BAA. He eventually helped lead me to a 2020 World Series title. I'll always remember the name!
BravesChop15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:39 AM   #10
Greenbay
Minors (Double A)

Playing OOTP 17 as Brewers in a historical league I got Ozzie Smith. I couldn't believe he was out there but at the time his rating was only 45. By the end of the season it was 78 and we had won the World Series. That's the only time I had a rule 5 guy work out for me. But I don't draft many because they are usually not ready for the Major Leagues.
Greenbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:23 AM   #11
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIUPIKE View Post
One thing that I have seen was checking for a two way player and converting them. They usually sat as a backup or didn't pitch much. But became useful players after a couple of seasons.
Funny you mention that - I just picked up one of those this season. He was listed as a SP but he's better as an outfielder. He's not a superstar, but I think he'll be a solid contributor for us this year.
Attached Images
Cobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:50 AM   #12
ttaka808
Minors (Triple A)

I managed to pick this guy up with the 30th pick in the Rule V draft in one of my online leagues. He's still going strong after eight seasons and even won a reliever of the year despite never being a closer. Probably one of the most consistent relievers I've ever had and the all-time Rockies leader in pitching appearances by over 200 games in the save.
Attached Images
ttaka808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #13
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I always take multiple guys in the Rule V because why not? You can return them to their teams after spring training and you never know if they get a ratings jump or not so its worth a shot. I dont ever bank on any of them working out, but when they do its like you won the freaking lottery
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote