Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods > TBCB Photos

Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #441
Cocoon of Horror
Minors (Double A)

Arena Gardens

Arena Gardens
Detroit, MI, USA
Capacity: 1,700
Attached Images
Cocoon of Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:02 AM   #442
Cocoon of Horror
Minors (Double A)

Sports Palace

Sports Palace
Rome, Italy
Capacity: 16,500
Attached Images
Old 07-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #443
Cocoon of Horror
Minors (Double A)

Metropololitan Sports Centre

Metropolitan Sports Center
Bloomington, MN, USA
Capacity: 13,789
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Cocoon of Horror; 07-03-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #444
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Hls

Hollywood Legion Stadium. Seating capacity: 6,300. Popular with the movie crowd in the 30s and 40s.

Cap
Attached Images
Old 05-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #445
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Rockland Palace, Harlem, NY. Seating capacity: 5,000

Cap
Attached Images
Old 05-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #446
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Jeffries Barn, Burbank, California. Seating capacity: 1,100. Built by ex-champ Jim Jeffries on his farm.

Cap
Attached Images
Old 05-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #447
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Oakland Auditorium, Oakland, California. Seating capacity: 8,000.

Cap
Attached Images
Old 05-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #448
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Dreamland Arena, San Diego, California. Seating capacity 5,000.

Cap
Attached Images
Old 02-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #449
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

A facebook page that I just stumbled across with some great old area pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/OldArenas/photos_stream
Old 10-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #450
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Hazard's Pavilion was a large auditorium in Los Angeles, California, located at the intersection of Fifth and Olive Streets. Showman George "Roundhouse" Lehman had planned to construct a large theatre center on the land he purchased at this location, but he went broke and the property was sold to the City Attorney (and soon to be Mayor), Henry T. Hazard. The venue was built in 1887 by architects Kysor, Morgan & Walls at a cost of $25,000, a large amount for the time, and seated up to 4,000 people (some sources say that seating could be up to 8,000; the building was divided into two galleries, and perhaps each accommodated 4,000). The building was constructed of wood with a clapboard exterior, and the front was framed by two towers. From 1901 to 1904, the first great Los Angeles boxing promoter, Uncle Tom McCarey, staged his first boxing shows at the pavilion. It would be McCarey who put the Los Angeles area on the map as a major boxing venue. It was demolished in 1906. [From Wikipedia]
Attached Images

Last edited by Cap; 10-12-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:31 PM   #451
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Jeffries Barn, Burbank, California. Seating capacity: 1,100. Built by ex-champ Jim Jeffries on his farm.

Cap
Did some searching in the Forums and found the two Forums I thought I remember there being on Venues, one for Current and one for Historical. So thought this would be the place to post anything on these venues I started some talk on recently in my HW forum. This better the place and see about reviving these couple of great forums. I seen in fact that Cap had posted in one of the last postings here a photo on Jeffries Barn!

I'd been doing some digging today for more info about Jeffries Barn to put in my data base so would like to post it here.Think one of the photos is the same one Cap posted but will repost anyway. Here is my writeup in its Venue file, but since we can export anything for those to import, I'll attache the txt file that goes into the VenueHistory folder if you want to put it in.

Jeffries Barn, Burbank, CA 1931-1953
Victory Boulevard and Beuna Vista Avenue

From WesClark.com website.....
James Jeffries owned Burbank, California property on the corner of Victory Boulevard and Buena Vista Avenue. There stood Jeffries Barn where on Thursday nights from 1931 until Jeffries' death in 1953 boxing matches were held.
An interesting tidbit noted in Wes Clarks fine biography on Jeffries' Barn is that the boxing scene in John Garfield's Dead End Kids film "They Made Me a Criminal" was filmed in Jeffries' Barn.

When Jeffries died, the barn was dismantled and moved to the Knott's Berry Farm amusement park in Orange County. There are a couple nice photos on Wes Clark's website of of Jeffrie's Barn when it was Jefferie's Barn and when it moved to the Knott's Berry Farm.

An article in the Los Angeles Times in 2008 about Jeffries' Barn placed its capacity at around 1,100 and that it apparently was mostly amateur boxing matches and other special exhibitions held there. An article in the early days of the Barn, in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on 9/10/1935 placed that the Barn could hold about 1200 with 75 cents costing for "good seats and perhaps the ringsiders pay $1.50.

The Los Angeles Times 2008 article goes into how Jeffries after he retired in 1905 used his boxing and other earnings to by a 107 acre ranch in Burbank. After his failed comeback attempt against Jack Johnson, he retired again, built a 10 room home on his ranch and began raising Holstein cows. Then in 1929 he cleared out some space in his dairy barn and begain training young boxing preteges. He created a place where they could train and learn boxing. Two years later he built a dormitory for some of the young fighters and began turning his old barn into a recreational hall and boxing ring. The birth of Jeffries Barn home a growing venue hosting some of the biggest amateur boxing shows around including Golden Glove tournaments. You scan the old newspapers in that area of California in the 1930s and 1940s, Jeffries Barn is well documented for its history of amateur boxing.

The Valley Times, North Hollywood, California ran an article on 11/16/1954 about the Barn at that time when it was being torn down at its Buena Vista/Victory Boulevard site and to be moved to the Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park. When Jeffries died in 1953, the Barn eventually was closed down to its sporting events which included events put on by the Burbank Wrestling Club. It was being removed to make room for a 200-room Valley Hotel, a first major hotel to be built in Burbank. So that's when Walter Knott, owner of Knott's Berry Farm stepped in a purchased the Barn to move it to Buena Park.Jeffries Barn was a structure measuring about 88 ft x 70 ft x 25 ft high. So no small, easy task moving it.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: txt JeffriesBarn_UnitedStates.txt (2.7 KB, 48 views)
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:36 PM   #452
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Hollywood Legion Stadium. Seating capacity: 6,300. Popular with the movie crowd in the 30s and 40s.

Cap
I'll repost here what Cap had posted before on the Hollywood Legion Stadium to start putting this in the Venue forums...One of the photos is one Cap posted originally.

Hollywood Legion Stadium
Located at 1628 El Centro Avenue just south of Hollywood Boulevard.

Opened in 1919 as an open-air stadium for boxing matches so people did not have to travel to LA Stadium. A roof was added in 1921 opening as an 8,000 seat venue.
It was closed in July 1923 and the boxing ring was sank 6 feet to improve the viewing of the ring and add a ventilation system. Per the Los Angeles Times of the day, the venue then accommodated 5,100 people though some other sources put it at 4,500.

A new version that you see in the photos on a website, hollywoodpartnership.com, is a new version opened in September 1938 with a capacity of 6,300.It was owned and operated by the Hollywood American Legion Post 43. A plaque commemorating this is posted at the site of the Statium. Boxing shows at the Hollywood Legion were originally shown on Friday nights. They moved them to Saturday nights in March 1952 because the televising of boxing shows on Friday nights from the east coast were eroding the attendance at the Legion and many other boxing venues at the time.

In the 1920s, 30s and 40s the Legion was a favorite hangout of film celebrities.

The final boxing card at the Hollywood Legion was on September 12, 1959 and a wrestling bill two nights later as the last event at the Stadium.

Some photos on the hollywoodpartnership.com website, show the plague mentioned above and the current La Fitness gym where the Legion was located.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: txt HollywoodLegionStadium_UnitedStates.txt (1.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-18-2021, 09:51 PM   #453
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

This one I'd posted over in HW's I did not find in this forum which surprised me? Did I miss it somehow or probably posted elsewhere?

Olympic Auditorium-Los Angeles California
Located at 1801 South Grand Avenue, now just south of the Santa Monica Freeway and now serves as a worship center for a Korean-American evangelical church, "Glory Church of Jesus Christ".

Built in 1924, it opened on August 5, 1925.It housed major boxing and wrestling from 1930s thru the 1970s until in the mid 1980s it's doors closed after promoter Mike Le Bell discontinued his weekly wrestling shows.

It reopened in 1993 but with it's capacity reduced from 10,400 to just over 7,300.It housed may diffeent entertainment and major musical events through the 90s and early 2000s as well as boxing and wrestling.Then in June 2005 the Glory Church of Jesus Christ purchased the entire property.

Read more on the history of the Auditorium on wikipedia.org. Another good site with historical background through the years especially its boxing history is on an ESPN.com site.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: txt OlympicAuditorium_UnitedStates.txt (882 Bytes, 41 views)
Old 03-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #454
Cap
Hall Of Famer

I've started mixing in photos of boxing rings with the external photos of buildings. I'm doing this with fictional arenas or old venues where no photo exists. Here's a fer instink....
Attached Images
Old 04-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #455
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Fictional venue

Here's Craig Hall in Dundee, Scotland. Seating capacity 1,500 to 2,000.
Attached Images
Old 08-13-2021, 08:03 PM   #456
Coiler12
Minors (Triple A)

A very out there hypothetical venue: The infamous Palace of the Soviets, a never-was megastructure that would have held 20,000 in its hall.

Rating: 5
Capacity: 20,000
Attached Images
Coiler12 is offline   Reply With Quote