Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #81
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
Imagine that... A guy who actually worked the count. I suppose he didn't care about his "launch angle"
There's not an eyeroll big enough

Any fungible middle reliever from today would make Hargrove look like a little leaguers with today's pitching arsenals.

In 2008 there were 196 pitches over 100 MPH. In 2018 there were over 1000.
https://www.mlb.com/cut4/are-pitcher...ver-c292153594

And it's not just velocity, it's spin rates, tunneling, all of it.

We know more about pitching than we did back in the 70's. And we understand the biomechanics and nutrition and rest of the guys doing the pitching better than we did in the 70's.

And we understand hitting better too. That's why you hear about launch angle.

Batters have had to change their approach to survive against today's pitchers.

So, sure. It's still a good idea to work the count and be selective. But, those old guys couldn't take their old approaches up against today's pitchers unless they wanted to be embarrassed.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:18 PM   #82
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
They are ruining baseball with dumb rules like that just to speed up the game.
250% agree.
All these idiotic rules and then they go juice the balls because DINGERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #83
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Don't remember Hargrove specifically, but I still remember an at-bat between George Foster and Al Hrabosky (the Mad Hungarian).

Hrabosky had this ritual that involved going behind the rubber, facing center field and psyching himself up. Then he would do a big arm swing and slam the ball into his glove, step on the rubber and glare in for the sign.

As soon as was on the rubber, Foster would step out of the box, tap dirt from his cleats, give the bat a shimmy, and step back in. Hrabosky would be back behind the rubber again. Can't honestly swear how many iterations they went through but as a kid it seemed to last forever and was hilarious.

I always remember Hrabosky from the first game I saw with him. He had some sort of sty on one eye, with the big horseshoe mustache and his glare, he looks hella intimidating to a kid like me.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:08 PM   #84
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURNS81 View Post
It's beginning to look like the 2020 season will require a three batter minimum for pitchers entering the game. My question is if this is something that can be coded into OOTP 21 or are we going to be on the honor system for this?

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/rules/three-batter-minimum

Stupid.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:10 PM   #85
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
250% agree.
All these idiotic rules and then they go juice the balls because DINGERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
TBF I'm sure that part of the reason why they're juicing the balls is that if they didn't, league averages would be like .230 and we'd be in the middle of a new dead ball era.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #86
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Good article about this rule in The Athletic today
https://theathletic.com/1555626/2020...-consequences/
Old 01-26-2020, 10:55 PM   #87
Gator
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeBaker View Post
I enjoy watching the old ball games, too, especially from the 1980s. I think one key element of the game that is missing today is speed. Not just the speed of the games, but speed in general. Back in the 1980s when you had teams like the Cardinals, Reds, Expos, and Royals stealing hundreds of bases as a team, the game moved faster. It wasn't just watching guys trying to hit balls out of the park and striking out 200 times a year. The cookie-cutter, Astroturf parks might have been ugly compared to the retro parks with grass, but the game was much more fun to watch then IMHO.

I still think speed is a great weapon to have for your offense and you can still have speed without sacrificing power. Look at the 1989-1990 Oakland Athletics. They had lots of power, but they also had Rickey Henderson leading off and he could steal between 50-100 bases a season. You could go further into the late 1990's with the New York Yankees of 1998. Not one player on that team hit 30 or more home runs yet they had a great combination of speed and power, not to mention, patience.

I know it'll never happen, but I'd like to see the Kansas City Royals bring back AstroTurf to their ballpark and build that team on speed like they did during the late 1970s/early 1980s. Have a bunch of rabbits in the lineup who could steal 50 bases a season and a couple of bashers in the middle of the order. Other teams like Tampa Bay and Toronto could apply the same strategy, but I really like the Kansas City idea.
Agree, but as you probably know, nothing slows the game like speed.
Baseball will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set, Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us.
Walt Whitman
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote