Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
comedian2019
Minors (Triple A)

Still perfect

I have entered a LOT of tournaments and I still have a perfect record.

I am zero for a LOT!

I have finished 2nd and 3rd a few times and got some packs, but not won one.

I make a good offense, but my pitching sucks.

One I put all the RPs as starters and the starters as the pen and I actually got pretty far. Made it to the qualifying rounds.I did have to tweak the starters to not get pulled so quick.

Doolittle threw a 3 inning no-hitter.
comedian2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

I too am in the same boat. I am fairly new so I only have the cards for silver and bronze tourneys. I am working on how to improve every tourney I enter. I am F2P sp I have to make the most of what points I win in PT and then use the cards in the most efficient manner.

I would like to do gold, diamond but it would not make my challenge any more fun. Trying to figure out why you lose a best of 7 round when your up 3-1 and lose the last 3 games is the challenge. Some times RNG just craps you and sometimes you are doing it wrong. Trying to understand the difference is what makes it interentering.

I see lot of people here who are in PL leagues and feel they are getting the dirty end of the stick. Not much different in the IL except they got no room ro advance...lol

Enjoy, expand and try to understand, The fun is the journey not the destinations (IMHO)

Pine Tar
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
comedian2019
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Tar View Post
I too am in the same boat. I am fairly new so I only have the cards for silver and bronze tourneys. I am working on how to improve every tourney I enter. I am F2P sp I have to make the most of what points I win in PT and then use the cards in the most efficient manner.

I would like to do gold, diamond but it would not make my challenge any more fun. Trying to figure out why you lose a best of 7 round when your up 3-1 and lose the last 3 games is the challenge. Some times RNG just craps you and sometimes you are doing it wrong. Trying to understand the difference is what makes it interentering.

I see lot of people here who are in PL leagues and feel they are getting the dirty end of the stick. Not much different in the IL except they got no room ro advance...lol

Enjoy, expand and try to understand, The fun is the journey not the destinations (IMHO)

Pine Tar
I look at the other pitchers that are doing well in the tournaments and get them. Sometimes it works. But it is like the playoffs, as crap shoot sometimes. I have an offense in a Silver league that contains all hitters that are 80+ in contact and most have speed. Then I get one power hitter. I do not worry about fielding. I will place Carew at 2B or even play a SS at 2B even if he is not rated there. I usually bat over .300 as a team, but pitching is killing me. I have noticed that the pitchers that I have been 'stealing' are showing up on the other teams also.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

well if you ignore defense and are playing rod carew in your middle infield of course it looks like your pitching is killing you

It may not necessarily be "wrong" and I sacrifice fielding in some places too in silver/bronze, but up the middle is not one of them
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
comedian2019
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
well if you ignore defense and are playing rod carew in your middle infield of course it looks like your pitching is killing you

It may not necessarily be "wrong" and I sacrifice fielding in some places too in silver/bronze, but up the middle is not one of them
That many errors does not happen often, maybe 1 error during the series, but the unseen result of hits that others would have got to, but there is no way to track that.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by comedian2019 View Post
That many errors does not happen often, maybe 1 error during the series, but the unseen result of hits that others would have got to, but there is no way to track that.

I would think it isn't just errors, it's not getting to balls a good fielder would turn into outs.

edit: Sorry, you said exactly that. Maybe ZR or something could give a hint....

Last edited by mcdog512; 11-27-2019 at 05:14 PM.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #7
joehart
All Star Starter

Our three teams (Explorers, Brothers, HiYo Silver) have played in a few tournaments and won a few but we have not really found a panacea strategy that works across all tournaments.

What worked in Silver did not seem to work as well in Gold or Open/Cap-based tournaments.

Silver T8 is (or was) the hot spot for a few teams that try to win as many tournaments as possible. Going against them tends to be more challenging than other tournaments.
If you enjoy tough competitions, this is a great place to play.

You usually come across teams that either go 7-8 innings with starters or
teams that trigger the opposite batter lineup with a starters (20-40 pitches) and then utilize lots of relievers.

If you have the time to watch the tournament, making adjustments for each opponent can really make a difference.
After a while, you know the strategy of each opponent and can adjust ahead of time to keep up with their strategy and increase the odds of getting past them. So having a few extra SPs as relievers, switch hitters, or an extra opposite bat is a good idea.

We won a few tournaments by going all in on switch hitters but there are just too few and not enough of them have the stats you really want.
But the team was fun to build and we still use them here and there for fun.

Here are some of the common players that pop up:
Bill Mueller, Tim Raines, Bernie Williams, Omar Vizquel, Ozzie Smith, Melky Cabrera, Pete Rose, Shane Victorino, ...

We won a few tournaments by going all in on defense with hitters at 1B/DH but some teams can still out-hit your team.
Here are some of the common players:
Oquendo, Figgins, Ozzie, Victorino, Flood, White, ...

We won a few tournaments by going all in on contact but some hitters with Avoid K rate (30-40) will end up striking out too often or your opponents elite defense will keep your hits low and you will end up with too few HRs to get past certain opponents.
Rose, Ichiro, Gwynn, Waner, Brantley, ...

Most of our wins came with teams that were not too focused on Contact, HRs, or Walks but tried to cover all three areas.
It helped overcome the High Stuff - Low Movement - High Control pitchers by getting HRs against them while also getting plenty of walks against pitchers with High Stuff - High Movement - Low Control.

Merv Rettemund, Kyle Tucker, Bill Mueller, Bernie Williams, ...

The same is true about defense. You can get away with poor defense at a few positions but an entire team of low defense can quickly lead to losses.

If you have the time to look at results, try to keep track of your pitchers and relievers. Some tend to be the culprit for more losses than others.
It really helped when we replaced some of them with more consistent ones.

You can also export all results to Excel and find out which pitchers/batters tend to do better than others.

Personally, after winning a few dozen tournaments across all levels, I find that building a new team in a new competition and making slow adjustments ends up just as (or more) satisfying as trying to win over and over with the same type of roster in the same type of competition.

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote