Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #21
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
So, micro-transactions are coming to OOTP? I never thought I would see the day.

There are so many things that need improvement in this game and this is what they decide to spend development time on? I hope it works because they've lost a purchase from me and likely future purchases. I've bought every version even when I knew I would barely play it because I wanted to support the game. Not doing that now with this selling out to this micro-transaction bull crap.
I get the concern with Mirco-transactions and the impact it could have.

However, from what I understand, OOTPD brought-in dedicated developers just for it, so that it would not impact OOTP. To that, I gather that it will allow the group more financial resources, which can then be funneled towards OOTP, which is still and likely always will be the core of the Company. Having the company healthy and growing is good, and I think this group of folks have shown outstanding customer service, always responding to our small requests to improve-that, add this, fix that etc...and even their presence here on the forum. For a relatively small development team, candidly, it's pretty impressive, to say nothing of what an outstanding product they produce.

Anyway, I sound like a marketing rep for OOTPD, but that's how I feel about it. This has been discussed in other threads, which I followed and you can probably dig-up, so as another fan of the game and the Company, I hope you reconsider.

-Cal
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #22
jockischp
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
We'll have an option that you can be "friends" with other users and the league alignment AI will try to put friends in the same league, yes
As long as I don't have to link my Facebook account and be friends with people there to access features in OOTP. I hate online games that force you down that path - I uninstall regardless of good the gameplay is when that happens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
jockischp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #23
jarmenia
Hall Of Famer

I guess I'm in the minority here actually looking forward to this. I'm not sure I'll spend much if any money on the microtransactions but I've long wanted an online league experience that didn't come with the mandatory participation rules that most leagues have. I don't have the time to write articles or spend X amount of time doing things that don't directly relate to the game.

jarmenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #24
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Keep in mind, this is a wholly separate game mode than the base game. You don't have to participate in it if you don't want to. The base game version isn't affected by this new game mode
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #25
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Keep in mind, this is a wholly separate game mode than the base game. You don't have to participate in it if you don't want to. The base game version isn't affected by this new game mode
I don’t understand why this is controversial. If you don’t have to participate in micro transactions to play the game, then what’s the problem?
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #26
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, micro-transactions are coming to OOTP? I never thought I would see the day.

There are so many things that need improvement in this game and this is what they decide to spend development time on? I hope it works because they've lost a purchase from me and likely future purchases. I've bought every version even when I knew I would barely play it because I wanted to support the game. Not doing that now with this selling out to this micro-transaction bull crap.
My gut feeling is with you . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
I wouldn't be too worried about it eborix. I think OOTPD will continue to bring us a great game.
. . . but I want to believe what you said.

One thing is for sure. I always hold onto the previous version of OOTPB knowing that someday, something about the game will go in a direction that I no longer can support.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #27
Caporegime
All Star Starter

When I first saw the term "Special new game mode", I briefly got excited and assumed Markus had added a "Deathmatch" mode to OOTP as part of his overall campaign to improve the game's 3D presentation. What was I thinking?

Hey, maybe in OOTP 20 or 21?
Old 02-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #28
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The trouble is, Matt, that it further opens the gate to some other unsavory practices, such as online only, pay-as-you-go with which I cannot abide.

That said, I am making a conscious effort these days to accept change, whether I agree with it or not, and to further accept it when such change means the end of something I valued and enjoyed. It is happening all the time, all over my life now and I must live with it because I do indeed have much more living to do.

- Bru

Old 02-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #29
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

And that said, I do feel a bit better for now having read Markus' comments about "Perfect Team" in this thread:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=284523

A bit better.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 02-18-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #30
chuy1530
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Helper View Post
I don’t understand why this is controversial. If you don’t have to participate in micro transactions to play the game, then what’s the problem?
The concern for some people (including me to a small degree) is that the microtransaction mode will start making way more money than the base game and will down the line get far more development time than the features the current fan base enjoys. Look toward Madden to see how that ends up.

But the OOTP team is not EA, and OOTP is a niche game that seems to understand that very well and doesn't seem like they'll deviate from that niche too much. I'm not too worried about it.

The one thing I hope they do differently in Perfect Team is that I hope that we get to open lots of packs and there are good pulls in those packs, even if the time we can use those cards is very limited. That's what kills MUT and others for me; once you get the stud you practically have them forever so they can't put that many good pulls in the packs, especially in the free packs.
chuy1530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #31
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why use the resources on this when there are plenty of things in the game that already need some attention? There are features that really need some polish and improvement.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:56 AM   #32
The_Offspring187
Major Leagues

Quote:
Why use the resources on this when there are plenty of things in the game that already need some attention? There are features that really need some polish and improvement.
From what I'm reading, no resources being allocated to this would have been allocated to the game. A separate team was brought in to work on the new mode.

I'm curious if it'll be a separate icon to click to launch or if it will launch from inside the OOTP in game menu.

Sent from my 5027B using Tapatalk
The_Offspring187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:06 AM   #33
Mat
All Star Reserve

Wow, so much drama!

I doubt I will be interested in the new feature (im a historical player). But good luck OOTPD team. Sounds exciting and I hope it is REALLY popular.

Last edited by Mat; 02-19-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #34
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
This is what Markus had to say about it. Sums things up pretty well.

Quote:
The goal with PT is to open a new market for OOTP, bringing in more revenue and eventually having more resources to improve both the core OOTP game and PT. It's a win-win!

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #35
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
This is what Markus had to say about it. Sums things up pretty well.
I hear you, Lukas, and Markus as well. I'm just a bit concerned and . . . sad, really . . . that I see the game migrating away from what used to be a unique niche product to one that is mainstream and commercialized.

Yes, I want the game to expand and improve and I know that takes money. Having just typed that sentence, though, I wonder if I really do want the game to change in this manner or would I like to just freeze OOTPB as it is?

Sure, I could always just keep the latest version and stop buying after a while. Two problems with that approach:
  • I would not be able to participate in these forums any longer.
  • "We're sorry, but Windows 12 no longer supports versions of OOTPB lower than 19. We suggest you upgrade to the online version of OOTPB 21 featuring our new virtual locker room poker game ($35 ante required)."

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 02-19-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #36
rmoons24
Minors (Single A)

Oh yay, OOTP is adding micro transactions. I thought they were better than that but i guess not.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #37
slic1149
Major Leagues

Seriously, has Markus ever done anything except try to make our game better? Why in the world would anyone not trust the developer? Additions that enhance the experience for some customers without altering the core game should be viewed as a step forward, not backward.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #38
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slic1149 View Post
Seriously, has Markus ever done anything except try to make our game better? Why in the world would anyone not trust the developer? Additions that enhance the experience for some customers without altering the core game should be viewed as a step forward, not backward.
In a perfect world, the new mode will catch on enough that we can hire more resources to improve on the core game. We're definitely not going to forget about how the company has made it this far.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #39
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoons24 View Post
Oh yay, OOTP is adding micro transactions. I thought they were better than that but i guess not.
Just to reiterate, we're not adding micro transactions to the main game nor do we have any intention of doing so.

Quote:
It is a completely separate mode and not woven into the core OOTP experience, so users who do not like such game modes can simply ignore it.
Some more quotes from Markus to help clarify things.

Quote:
Interesting thread Let me state a few facts, before the discussion goes into the wrong direction:

- OOTP will always be a stand-alone desktop product that you buy once and can play forever. However, the industry will shift in the next few years towards a subscription-based model (think Netflix), and OOTP certainly will become available through this channel too, as an option.
- We will not change the core game principles and won't take away features (anything else would be dumb), but we will add new ways to play the game. And these will be online and yes, they will include microtransactions (which you can ignore if you don't like them). These type of modes generate tons of revenue for companies nowadays (EA's Ultimate Team, Diamond Dynasty in MLB The Show etc.), and it would be stupid if we wouldn't add these type of modes to OOTP. After all we want to earn money in order to pay the bills and grow as a company, and the market is ever changing, so we have to react. It's really that simple.
- We will announce something pretty unique, and I am sure a LOT of existing OOTP customers will love it, and we will also attract a new type of customer as well.
- We have invested in this (hiring additional developers), that means that there is no development time taken away from the core game.

So, all is good in the OOTP world and we have exciting times ahead! Stay tuned
Quote:
So, you have nothing to worry about. The current way of purchasing / owning OOTP will never disappear.
We didn't just turn into some evil empire here overnight folks.

We're not trying to get filthy rich or prioritize money above the game itself or our loyal customers. But we do need to find ways to make enough money to stay in business and expand enough to have the resources to keep improving the game. If a completely separate mode of the game (that we aren't even selling separately but are including free with your purchase of the main game) can help us do that, why would anyone who loves the current OOTP game and wants the best for it object to that?

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 02-19-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #40
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Some of you people really need to learn how to read.

This new game mode isnt affecting the main game at all. They arent using resources from the main game to make this mode, they hired new people to do it.

"why are you spending time making this instead of addressing the flaws the game currently has?" um, did you read the features list? there are a lot of new things coming to the main game this year and a lot of new fixes. the game wouldnt be perfect this year with or without this new mode in the fold.

you want the game to be better? well, that costs money. more money for OOTP means a better game in the future for all of us, no matter what mode you like to play. also, you dont have to partake in this new mode at all! you dont have to spend an extra cent on this game if you dont want to. also, for all we know, this mode wont be popular and wont catch on, and it might go away all together.

in short, relax. every thing will be fine. OOTP is a different company than EA. OOTP knows that the reason they are the best is because of the main game, and i dont think they'll forget that anytime soon.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote