Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
dannibalcorpse
Minors (Double A)

Protecting Players in Spring Training

So I've been running a Mets franchise and it's been scarily accurate with injuries (), to the point that Noah Syndergaard has pitched 90 innings total through 2017 & '18.

Spring training has been a graveyard for me - in 2018 I lost Thor for 4 months with a labrum injury, and Zack Wheeler for the full year with a rotator cuff injury. Starting 2019 ST now, and Noah is out for another 5 weeks with a strained hamstring after the 3rd game of the spring schedule.

I've got the guys I'm planning on being in my regular season rotation listed as relievers with "Use Less Often" designations, but they're obviously still getting cycled in; is there any way to basically keep these guys from doing much of anything in spring training (besides sending them down and wasting option years)?

Feel free to share your horrible spring injury stories here, too, I could use some commiseration.
dannibalcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

You need to use your starters in ST enough to shake off the "rust" they've accumulated during the offseason. Pretty sure it is also normal that the most injuries occur during ST as that's also what happens for MLB. I play with injuries on "high (MLB accurate)" & never limit playing time for anyone in order to try and prevent injury during spring training. Your best defense to this is depth.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

I invite 50-60 players to spring training, and start the minor league players for the first two weeks, letting my starters get an occasional at bat at best. My rotation sits in "not assigned" limbo. Relievers on use less often or not assigned. Then the last couple weeks, the starters start about half time. I tend to come out of ST relatively unscathed, and the guys seem ready to play.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
I invite 50-60 players to spring training, and start the minor league players for the first two weeks, letting my starters get an occasional at bat at best. My rotation sits in "not assigned" limbo. Relievers on use less often or not assigned. Then the last couple weeks, the starters start about half time. I tend to come out of ST relatively unscathed, and the guys seem ready to play.
Very similar to what I do. I use "bench player" to limit certain pitchers and batters GP.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

I try not to use "bench player," but only because I have a tendency to forget I toggled those things, then the guy doesn't get time.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
slugger922cubs
Major Leagues

I do a few things. 1) I set pitch limits very low 50-65 pitches for early ST. 2) I create a special strategy for ST that has short hooks on pitchers, high use of relievers, and extreme high ends for pinch hitting, pinch running, and defensive subs. This makes use players get subbed a lot. I save this strategy a load it every spring. Lastly I set the depth charts for the subs to start every other or every third day. I loosen this as I make cuts. This works for me since I dont like to micro manage 7-day line ups. Im more a big picture manager.
slugger922cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

I run a 6 man rotation and set all relievers to middle relief.

I bring enough position players to camp in order to go 'every 2nd' game at all positions and additionally give more time to younger prospects (I rarely have a full 40 man) who I add as spring training invites.

This method has significantly reduced ST injuries for me and still allows for the players to get up to speed.
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

I run a 6 man rotation and set all relievers to middle relief.

I bring enough position players to camp in order to go 'every 2nd' game at all positions and additionally give more time to younger prospects (I rarely have a full 40 man) who I add as spring training invites.

This method has significantly reduced ST injuries for me and still allows for the players to get up to speed.
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
CraigBShuman
Minors (Double A)

Somewhat different result with Mets

I am playing the Mets as well. I play as GM/Manager. Met games are played out. Rest is simulated. Syndergaard won the pitching triple crown and the Cy Young in both 2017 and 2018. No real injuries.

I have noticed that my teams tend to do better when I simulate rather than manage them myself. But, the latter produces less injuries.

Don't know if other people have had the same results.
CraigBShuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBShuman View Post
I am playing the Mets as well. I play as GM/Manager. Met games are played out. Rest is simulated. Syndergaard won the pitching triple crown and the Cy Young in both 2017 and 2018. No real injuries.

I have noticed that my teams tend to do better when I simulate rather than manage them myself. But, the latter produces less injuries.

Don't know if other people have had the same results.
manage every game with Mets. currently in year 4.

Sydergaard has been a beast for me. Cy Young, MVP. might be the one player I haven't had injured for an extended time.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #11
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannibalcorpse View Post
So I've been running a Mets franchise and it's been scarily accurate with injuries (), to the point that Noah Syndergaard has pitched 90 innings total through 2017 & '18.

Spring training has been a graveyard for me - in 2018 I lost Thor for 4 months with a labrum injury, and Zack Wheeler for the full year with a rotator cuff injury. Starting 2019 ST now, and Noah is out for another 5 weeks with a strained hamstring after the 3rd game of the spring schedule.

I've got the guys I'm planning on being in my regular season rotation listed as relievers with "Use Less Often" designations, but they're obviously still getting cycled in; is there any way to basically keep these guys from doing much of anything in spring training (besides sending them down and wasting option years)?

Feel free to share your horrible spring injury stories here, too, I could use some commiseration.
Don't. play. them during. spring. training.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #12
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
Don't. play. them during. spring. training.
And watch them struggle for the first month?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #13
HuachucaThunder
Minors (Triple A)

I use a 6 man rotation in ST and limit the pitch count to 40-50 for the first pass through the rotation. Then I may up it to 60-70 until the last pass through the rotation which there is no pitch count. All relievers are set to middle relief throughout ST. I will carry probably 25 -28 pitchers until there are 2 weeks left in spring training, then I start to reassign pitchers.
As for position players, 32 - 35 is what I use until 2 weeks left, then like the pitchers, I will begin to reassign them. My ST depth chart usually is 2 deep and each position plays one day and has two off.
With this set-up, I rarely have had any serious injuries too often. Might have someone be out 6 weeks or so, but no season ending or career ending injuries that I can think off.
HuachucaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #14
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

If you want to have no injuries during ST (I find that unrealistic but to each his own), why not just turn off injuries during ST?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #15
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Turn off injuries during spring training, then turn it back on for the regular season.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:38 AM   #16
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i don't think they need to play games to knock 'rust' off. just being on an active roster abates accumulation, so it's reasonable that it is enough to knock it off.

but, if you don't want to just have them on the bench during st, limit their use as much as possible. if a starter, then the backup every 2 days and the backup-backup every 3, etc.. ~8 games played that way?

you shouldn't have to change any pitch counts. they only pitch 4 innings. 60 or less might help, but not sure if they even adhere to them. ST does operate differently in some respects.

definitely use 6-man rotation. plenty of extra RP. i even out the usage too - e.g. all normal or maybe even put your better RP as "use less often." remove secondary roles from any important pitcher. shouldn't have a need anyway, but will help limit closer use... speaking of, make sure to have more than 1 primary role closer in ST.

there's an option in player "game strategy" to prevent usage as a PH when resting or something to that effect. that could be useful. not sure if it applies in ST.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #17
strakapoud
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
i don't think they need to play games to knock 'rust' off. just being on an active roster abates accumulation, so it's reasonable that it is enough to knock it off.
From the manual (emphasis mine):

Rust

Each player in OOTP has a certain amount of 'rust' after an offseason. For each at-bat or inning pitched during Spring Training, a player shakes off some of that rust. Therefore, it is important to make sure all your key players get at least some playing time during Spring Training, because rusty players won't perform well.

So no, being on active roster is not enough.
strakapoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #18
Zeth
Bat Boy

I used to apply some very similar strategies to what has been brought up in this thread. But I came to deciding to just play Spring Training as normal, because my AI competitors don't get to benefit from such strategies so it creates an unrealistic advantage for me.

One thing you can do that impacts everyone the same that you might like is shorten spring training from the default 5 weeks to, day, 3 weeks. There's a setting for it.
Zeth is offline   Reply With Quote