Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 07-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
idolatro15
Bat Boy

Injuries are killing me

I've played 2 full 2016 seasons (Kansas City and Washington) and both times I'm overwhelmed by injuries. Both teams lost their entire starting out fields in the last month. Also, I think I had my optimal lineup for no more than 20% of the season (s). Is this typical?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
idolatro15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
andyhdz
All Star Starter

you didn't say what injury setting you are using.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
idolatro15
Bat Boy

Apologies, I'm doing a "new standard" league starting in 2016. I'm the GM / manager.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
andyhdz
All Star Starter

lol you still didn't say the injury setting. you have low, classic, and high. If you don't know then you probably have the default classic setting. That gives you on average 3 maybe 4 injuries a season but of course you can go higher or lower. If you are on the high range that's just luck but it will average out. High is supposed to be realistic bit it's crazy because end up having 6 or 7 or more players constantly hurt. I play classic and went an entire season with only 1 hurt and then the next it jumped to 4. That is not realistic but it's definitely more fun that way.

Last edited by andyhdz; 07-08-2016 at 06:39 PM.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
idolatro15
Bat Boy

Doh...didn't know about an injury setting. So much still to learn. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

i play low and usually have 4 or 5 major injuries a season ... but that's life in baseball. So no complaints. If it really bothered me, there's always that magic commish mode edit feature ....
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:27 PM   #7
markvacc1
Minors (Single A)

Realistic is the only way to play.
markvacc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:38 AM   #8
Chillidog
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
lol you still didn't say the injury setting. you have low, classic, and high. If you don't know then you probably have the default classic setting. That gives you on average 3 maybe 4 injuries a season but of course you can go higher or lower. If you are on the high range that's just luck but it will average out. High is supposed to be realistic bit it's crazy because end up having 6 or 7 or more players constantly hurt. I play classic and went an entire season with only 1 hurt and then the next it jumped to 4. That is not realistic but it's definitely more fun that way.
there are actually 5 settings for injuries

Very Low
Low
Normal (OOTP Classic)
High (Realistic Modern Day)
Very High

new to the game just completed my first season, had mine set to "Low" and still had 3 Major Season ending injuries which elimanted 2/3 of my Starting outfield (Bumbry CF Roenicke LF) and it also eliminated Ripken Jr at SS all 3 missed the last 2-3 months of the season along with Bumbry having a 1-2 month injury earlier in the season. Of course I also had to deal with a bunch of minor 1-2 week injuries as well as a bunch of day to day injuries

so I would hate to think what a higher setting will do

I will stick with "Low" injuries, unless future seasons start proving to be injury free, if that happens then I will bump it up a notch

Last edited by Chillidog; 07-09-2016 at 02:41 AM.
Chillidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:27 AM   #9
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

I play realistic. Some seasons I'll have 95% of my team escape major injuries during the year. Some seasons I'll lose several key players. A lot of it is luck of the draw. To me, injuries add to the challenge of building a team. You need to have solid depth and contingency plans in place to cover major injuries.

The best thing about OOTP is you can customize the game and play it your way. Use whatever setting gives you the most enjoyment.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:01 AM   #10
Chillidog
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
I play realistic. Some seasons I'll have 95% of my team escape major injuries during the year. Some seasons I'll lose several key players. A lot of it is luck of the draw. To me, injuries add to the challenge of building a team. You need to have solid depth and contingency plans in place to cover major injuries.

The best thing about OOTP is you can customize the game and play it your way. Use whatever setting gives you the most enjoyment.
I agree completely with you regarding injuries are part of the game and good depth a key factor to success. So I will NEVER turn-off/disable this setting.

But, I did feel what happened to my team this year on "low" was normal, not too excessive and not too little (though I would have preferred others to get injured instead of Cal Ripken Jr played only 110 games, and Bumbry was only able to play 57 games) but this is all good, injuries happen. That's why for now i will leave it at "Low" but adjust it accordingly if I see a trend going 1 way or the other (too much or too little of injuries)

Last edited by Chillidog; 07-09-2016 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #11
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Injuries tend to pile up on your team when there are no minor leagues (reserve rosters). In this setup, I would use low. Otherwise, I use classic for historical and realistic for fictional or modern-day.

Overall, I think OOTP does a good job with injuries. I would prefer fewer season-ending injuries and more DTD/short-term injuries, but I am happy with it as is. I enjoy having unexpected problems to solve.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #12
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvacc1 View Post
Realistic is the only way to play.
Someone always pipes in with this. You paid for the game, play it how you like.

I too dislike injuries and turn them to very low. I wish that button existed in real life so we couldn't see so many pitchers lose whole seasons to injury!

Anyway, this seems to come up every year, and people post real-life disabled lists and compare numbers and it turns out OOTP (sadly ) models real-life all too well.
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #13
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Check out the Mets starting pitchers who are on the DL right now. I bet their fans wish there was a button to disable

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #14
the54effect
Minors (Single A)

I like the injuries, really tests my roster depth and makes playing time for my guys!

I do feel like I always get hit with two or three serious injuries to my pitchers RIGHT after the trading deadline though. Oh things are lining up perfectly for your stretch run? BAM There go your #2 and #4 starter and your top lefty setup man!

The past two years I've had something of the like happen to me. Both times it gave me a reason to call up some young talent and have them experience some success. So it works out.

Injuries also put a lot on incentive on cross training guys at positions. Get them some innings in spring training or the minors so they are versatile enough to fit in seamlessly. Get your outfielders some games in a second field, get your middle and corner infielders some innings at the other spot. Make injuries more manageable- and more fun!
the54effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #15
Chillidog
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the54effect View Post
I like the injuries, really tests my roster depth and makes playing time for my guys!

I do feel like I always get hit with two or three serious injuries to my pitchers RIGHT after the trading deadline though. Oh things are lining up perfectly for your stretch run? BAM There go your #2 and #4 starter and your top lefty setup man!

The past two years I've had something of the like happen to me. Both times it gave me a reason to call up some young talent and have them experience some success. So it works out.

Injuries also put a lot on incentive on cross training guys at positions. Get them some innings in spring training or the minors so they are versatile enough to fit in seamlessly. Get your outfielders some games in a second field, get your middle and corner infielders some innings at the other spot. Make injuries more manageable- and more fun!
how about this 4 pitches into spring training and my #3 starter gets knocked out for 11 months, then on my #1's 2nd start of the regular season he gets knocked out for at least 3 months, at this rate, I won't have anyone left of my starting 5 and be strictly using journeymen or minor leaguers. plus I was wanting to give my "stud" #1 prospect pitcher (#3 overall) about 4-5 starts at AAA before bringing him up and on his 5 start he goes down with an injury and on the 60 day DL at the minor league level (this is all on "Low" injuries)
Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #16
the54effect
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillidog View Post
how about this 4 pitches into spring training and my #3 starter gets knocked out for 11 months, then on my #1's 2nd start of the regular season he gets knocked out for at least 3 months, at this rate, I won't have anyone left of my starting 5 and be strictly using journeymen or minor leaguers. plus I was wanting to give my "stud" #1 prospect pitcher (#3 overall) about 4-5 starts at AAA before bringing him up and on his 5 start he goes down with an injury and on the 60 day DL at the minor league level (this is all on "Low" injuries)
Ahh I mean that is horrible. I'm just saying that it is sometimes fun to problem solve and uh, sometimes good things come out of the misfortune!?

I play as the Yankees so my budget is huge so I feel like my "injuries are fun!" sentiment is more is built on the financial wherewithal to afford other options. In the offseason I usually sign a bunch of the free agent pitchers in their mid twenties with two or three potential stars that will go for a mil or less, then stash them at AAA.
the54effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #17
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I would prefer fewer season-ending injuries and more DTD/short-term injuries, but I am happy with it as is. I enjoy having unexpected problems to solve.
I agree with this.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote