Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #41
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I was going to change mine to 50/30/15/5 - I like the 50/50 split... BUT it will not let me in challenge mode?

Is there a way around this?

Last edited by MizzouRah; 06-14-2017 at 09:08 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #42
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nobody? Is this something that can be changed in a patch?

I'm not sure how it would be cheating being able to change the AI eval settings in Challenge mode?

If not.. that's ok.. I think I might start over minus challenge mode.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:54 AM   #43
bly08
Minors (Double A)

Trades become easier the less weight you place on ratings
bly08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #44
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Nobody? Is this something that can be changed in a patch?

I'm not sure how it would be cheating being able to change the AI eval settings in Challenge mode?

If not.. that's ok.. I think I might start over minus challenge mode.

I just started a new MLB quickstart with the updated rosters. I tried Challenge Mode and you cannot change the AI evaluation. So, like you, I am going to play in regular mode.

After reading this thread again, I think it makes sense to start with the default settings and then move toward more stats and less ratings in subsequent years. I want the AI to begin the game playing the expected players and not making a bunch of odd trades, but I also want the AI to make better decisions as the game goes on. I might take the ratings down to 55 in late June in order to influence the AI's deadline moves with current year performance. I will probably use PSUColonel's 50/50 for the second year, and your 40/60 in third and subsequent years.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #45
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Based on a Lot of trial and error, I am now recommending keeping ratings at least at 55. 55/25/15/5 seems like a really good mix to me. The AI doesn't make stupid transactions, yet starts players who perform well. With ratings at 50, the AI can still put odd players on waivers I've noticed. You wouldn't think there would be much of a difference, but going greater than 50 for ratings seems to be the "threshold"

Last edited by PSUColonel; 06-23-2017 at 01:01 PM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #46
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

In all honestly though, think how you evaluate players...once you do that, you realize the defaults are probably pretty good. I think people have gotten way too caught up in this sabermetric craze. It might be a good way to evaluate players who are considered marginal, but let's face it, perceived talent trumps all of that.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 06-23-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I just started a new MLB quickstart with the updated rosters. I tried Challenge Mode and you cannot change the AI evaluation. So, like you, I am going to play in regular mode.

After reading this thread again, I think it makes sense to start with the default settings and then move toward more stats and less ratings in subsequent years. I want the AI to begin the game playing the expected players and not making a bunch of odd trades, but I also want the AI to make better decisions as the game goes on. I might take the ratings down to 55 in late June in order to influence the AI's deadline moves with current year performance. I will probably use PSUColonel's 50/50 for the second year, and your 40/60 in third and subsequent years.
I would like to eventually see dynamic evaluation ratings that change throughout the season. I'm still playing CM for now as I want more time with the default AI settings.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #48
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would like to eventually see dynamic evaluation ratings that change throughout the season. I'm still playing CM for now as I want more time with the default AI settings.
Excellent suggestion. Malleus Dei, (ooooo, did you hear the thunder at the mere mention?) long ago, submitted at least a couple of pseudo-templates for that very idea, along with his managerial tendency selections. It was a batch of good stuff.

Personally, I try to enter the intervals into my Manager's Notes.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #49
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see them either monthly or bi-monthly...

April/May : 55/5/25/15

June/July: 55/15/25/5

August/Sept : 55/25/15/5
Old 06-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #50
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Not to say there couldn't be exploit here either however...making trades on the last day of May, july( trade deadline though....so not sure how to get around that one)....I think you'd like the shift to the august AI evaluation before the deadline. Perhaps customizable dates in which changes take effect?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #51
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure if it's a game mechanics issue or the AI evaluation settings.. but I still see too many players that have a good season, the next season they are on the bench due to a player with slightly higher ratings, even if that player is a rookie. Stats should definitely matter, especially the previous season.

The same with a closer who has like 30-40 saves, the next season they are moved to setup for a younger slightly higher rated pitcher who might not have ever closed a game in his career.

I'm wondering if maybe a 50/40/5/5 setting would stop this from happening? I can't test in CM - really hoping Markus will allow us to change that.

Maybe even a setting to weigh more on a veteran player with several seasons played vs a younger player who may have higher ratings, but no MLB experience?

Last edited by MizzouRah; 07-03-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #52
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's a game mechanics issue or the AI evaluation settings.. but I still see too many players that have a good season, the next season they are on the bench due to a player with slightly higher ratings, even if that player is a rookie. Stats should definitely matter, especially the previous season.

The same with a closer who has like 30-40 saves, the next season they are moved to setup for a younger slightly higher rated pitcher who might not have ever closed a game in his career.

I'm wondering if maybe a 50/40/5/5 setting would stop this from happening? I can't test in CM - really hoping Markus will allow us to change that.

Maybe even a setting to weigh more on a veteran player with several seasons played vs a younger player who may have higher ratings, but no MLB experience?
I'd be wary of relying too much on a good season/stats focus here. If it's scenarios where guys are 24-29 years old and coming off seasons of say 16-9 or 18-6 / 35 HR + 125 RBI or 39 HR + 148 RBI years than yeah, I'd be worried about that type of stuff happening.

Closers are a dime a dozen, really. The elite guys ala Trevor Hoffman or Mariano Rivera are more often than not the exception as far as that role goes.

It's not that out of the realm of possibility that "veterans" get benched (or replaced) by other players. Lou Piniella did that in Seattle replacing Jose Mesa (coming off a year with 33 Saves) with an unknown Japanese pitcher in Kazuhiro Sasaki (was a lights out Closer in Japan but unproven in MLB obviously).

I also look at it as teams promoting "hot, young prospects" and giving them roles while minimizing veterans who are nearing the tail end of their careers e.g. they may be 33-35 years old and not have much left in the tank. Managers and Teams do that all the time, trying to give a young rookie experience/playing time while slowly minimizing the role of a veteran by relying on his "leadership" in the clubhouse more.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #53
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

just look at save leaders... not many near the top of that list... that tells you they don't keep that role for very long... except for a few, like dawnbtvs said.

30-40years of heavy closer use since the 80's? 6 players have >400 saves. that is a volatile role no matter age or anything else.

you definitely can't use the human eye and trust its perception of who's doing what... so, i'd get real evidence that "too" many are losing their jobs for that reason (which is another difficult proposition to prove) and then do a similar analysis to a large period of time in the RL MLB too.. if significantly differnet, you have a real qualm. otherwise it's a feeling that equates to a random stab in the dark.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #54
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks to the both of you.. I'll definitely dig deeper.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #55
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Excellent suggestion. Malleus Dei, (ooooo, did you hear the thunder at the mere mention?) long ago, submitted at least a couple of pseudo-templates for that very idea, along with his managerial tendency selections. It was a batch of good stuff.

Personally, I try to enter the intervals into my Manager's Notes.
Found it. FWIW (this is not a stats-only suggestion, btw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus Dei View Post
Try these Player Evaluation AI Setup values under League Setup/Engine Setup. You change them the first of every month.

(Rating, current stats, last year's stats, two years ago's stats)

Apr: 50%, 0%, 30%, 20%
May: 50%, 5%, 30%, 15%
Jun: 50%, 10%, 30%, 10%
Jul: 50%, 15%, 30%, 5%
Aug: 50%, 20%, 30%, 0%
Sep: 50%, 25%, 25%, 0%
Old 07-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #56
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:

I think the thing that gets me the most is seeing a veteran starter on the downside of his career but under contract put up a respectable season with like 12 wins and a 3+ WAR only to see the AI shift him right to the bullpen the following season without giving him a chance in the rotation. This seems to happen a lot with stud SP's who get signed to long term deals at age 30+.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:40 PM   #57
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Overtime I feel I have come to a setting I want, I keep second guessing, and it has become very frustrating to me. I Basically have 4 settings I am torn between. They aren't a hell of a lot different from each other, but they do provide differences in the way the AI behaves.

55/25/15/5

50/30/15/5

45/30/20/5

40/30/20/10
Old 07-31-2017, 11:59 PM   #58
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I have been using 40/30/20/10 in my historical league and I like it.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:08 AM   #59
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

How do you find trades. waivers etc? I am playing MLB modern day, which essentially equates to fictional.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:26 AM   #60
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Overtime I feel I have come to a setting I want, I keep second guessing, and it has become very frustrating to me. I Basically have 4 settings I am torn between. They aren't a hell of a lot different from each other, but they do provide differences in the way the AI behaves.

55/25/15/5

50/30/15/5

45/30/20/5

40/30/20/10
What kind of differences and how significant, or is that just a 'feel', too?