Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

How you identify a good/bad defensive catcher?

While many are waiting for another update, I figure I'd throw out some discussions for people to chew on.

What metrics available within OOTP do you use to analyze catchers defensively? Discuss.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
Lockdog
Minors (Triple A)

Primarily, I look at innings caught, passed balls, caught stealing percentage, and zone rating. Many times fielding data doesn't match up with the ratings.
Lockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdog View Post
Primarily, I look at innings caught, passed balls, caught stealing percentage, and zone rating. Many times fielding data doesn't match up with the ratings.
exactly, which is why I thought this could be a good discussion. Not that I want to turn this into a feature request thread, but do you feel some other defensive metrics specific to catchers should be included?
Old 08-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
Lockdog
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
exactly, which is why I thought this could be a good discussion. Not that I want to turn this into a feature request thread, but do you feel some other defensive metrics specific to catchers should be included?
For ratings, I feel the catcher ability rating is too broad. I would split it into glovework (generating strikes and avoiding errors) and blocking/reflexes (avoiding passed balls and general reaction time). As far as metrics go, it would be great to have a runs saved metric like defensive runs saved or defensive runs above average. I think that would be a good supplement to zone rating.
Lockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdog View Post
For ratings, I feel the catcher ability rating is too broad. I would split it into glovework (generating strikes and avoiding errors) and blocking/reflexes (avoiding passed balls and general reaction time). As far as metrics go, it would be great to have a runs saved metric like defensive runs saved or defensive runs above average. I think that would be a good supplement to zone rating.
Agreed, I feel many of the rating are too broad..especially on defense. For catcher, I like what you are saying..other positions such as ss for example..maybe things such as the ability to charge balls, throw on the run and others. All of these ratings could then form more general ratings such as Range, and arm.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
22tbrads22
Minors (Double A)

well as for metrics available in this game you can look as his ZR and see what that sees. obviously to keep it short you don't want it in the negatives or under 5 for a season.
22tbrads22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

I find CERA to be interesting and useful in that it appears to be persistent over time. While not useful to directly compare catchers on different teams, my catcher with the lowest CERA tends to remain that over several seasons.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

I guess I was doing this all wrong. I had only been looking at his arm, figuring that's what he needed to throw runners out. I hadn't dug any deeper than that.
Thanks for bringing this up. You've go me thinking.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
I find CERA to be interesting and useful in that it appears to be persistent over time. While not useful to directly compare catchers on different teams, my catcher with the lowest CERA tends to remain that over several seasons.
I haven't put much stock in CERA because he doesn't really have any significant affect on this stat. Plus it varies by pitcher, the rest of the defense and the park.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #10
jokr29
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I guess I was doing this all wrong. I had only been looking at his arm, figuring that's what he needed to throw runners out. I hadn't dug any deeper than that.
Thanks for bringing this up. You've go me thinking.

So if its not arm, how do you determine what will make an effective catcher with throwing guys out?
jokr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
Number4
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokr29 View Post
So if its not arm, how do you determine what will make an effective catcher with throwing guys out?
Stolen base percentage maybe.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
I haven't put much stock in CERA because he doesn't really have any significant affect on this stat. Plus it varies by pitcher, the rest of the defense and the park.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Your objections are not what I wrote.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
ThePretender
All Star Starter

It's tough to judge the C stuff in isolation. If your staff sucks at holding runners, even a good armed C will struggle with CS. If your SP/defence sucks, cERA will look bad. Best thing you can do is pick a C with good defence and then try to figure out how best to help your C.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:23 PM   #14
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

It would be nice if we got a framing stat

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #15
sc_superstar
Major Leagues

CS rate isn't that great because the best guys at catching runners (at least in OOTP) don't get run on all that often, and when they do get run on its by guys who are elite base stealers.

I had a guy with 10/10 Catcher Arm and ability, no other catcher In the league had a 10 in either or 9 in both. Some did have high position rating, even having inferior ratings. The 10/10 guy always had roughly 30% less SB attempts against, but his CS rate was around league average
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #16
cmaug
Major Leagues

good
Attached Images
cmaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #17
cmaug
Major Leagues

bad
Attached Images
cmaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #18
Klaus 74
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
While many are waiting for another update, I figure I'd throw out some discussions for people to chew on.

What metrics available within OOTP do you use to analyze catchers defensively? Discuss.
I limit myself to choosing a catcher with high ratings in Defensive Ability. (20-80 scale). If he has any kind of speed above what is expected of a catcher, and/or on the BNN page has leadership qualities than that is a bonus. So much of what a catcher can and cannot do is hidden within the makeup of the pitching staff.
Klaus 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #19
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I still don't zero in on metrics very often. For me, it's does he have a good arm or not?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #20
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I use ratings since catchers defensive stats don't tell me much. But for the most part I don't care. If they can hit then I play them. If they can't hit then no amount of defense can make up for that lost value. Unless I have a terrible team of a black hole on my depth chart at catcher.
And since even the most durable catchers catch about 130-140 games a season then you can exploit platoons L/R splits.
I have combined two above average catchers who hit one side really well vs the other and turned them into borderline all-stars if you combined them.
The combined cost has sometimes been 8 million a year for .910 OPS and that is combined salary.

Across my entire team I don't care much about defense. All else being equal I will of course go with the better defender. But I never play a offensive black hole even at CF/SS. The defensive value just never saves enough runs to make it worthwhile.

All that goes out the window if I am a crappy team or rebuilding and just looking for warm bodies.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 08-22-2016 at 06:12 PM.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote