Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
WBTyler939
Minors (Single A)

Perfect Team is Killing Online Leagues

Ever since PT was released, not only have my online leagues been losing players, but we can't seem to recruit new ones either. I'm hearing the same thing from people in other online leagues, to the point that leagues are shutting down because they can't get new owners to join. I have to imagine this is because people are opting to play PT instead, since it's more or less an online league. I'm hoping that the release of OOTP20 will reignite interest in online leagues, but I'm not optimistic. Hopefully PT and online leagues will be able to co-exist.
WBTyler939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBTyler939 View Post
Ever since PT was released, not only have my online leagues been losing players, but we can't seem to recruit new ones either. I'm hearing the same thing from people in other online leagues, to the point that leagues are shutting down because they can't get new owners to join. I have to imagine this is because people are opting to play PT instead, since it's more or less an online league. I'm hoping that the release of OOTP20 will reignite interest in online leagues, but I'm not optimistic. Hopefully PT and online leagues will be able to co-exist.

I feel the opposite. People in the online leagues i am in have zero interest in perfect team. It doesn't have near the depth or strategy that is needed in an online league. Most people in my leagues already feel OOTP mostly ignores online leagues, and that will probably continue with perfect team, but ya, i haven't seen this at all.
George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
GoPedro99
All Star Reserve

Quote:
My guess would be more so that it’s the time of year. Once New Years rolls around it seems like people start to change their online league focus to preparing for a new league as soon as the new version comes out
GoPedro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPedro99 View Post
My guess would be more so that it’s the time of year. Once New Years rolls around it seems like people start to change their online league focus to preparing for a new league as soon as the new version comes out
that's the most logical response I have heard all day
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Shoeless' Socks
Minors (Double A)

I've had numerous exports not 'take' because of differences in which version either I or the commissioner is on. Having to download a new version every other day is not optimal, and frankly if its like this next year, it will probably be the end of my participation. I get that PT was buggy but there should have been a better solution/rollout.

Also, about that survey that was posted, would you all also like to see the results of that? I'm interested to see that information as I want to know how many people play in online leagues. That's all that interests me about the game really anymore. ZERO interest in Perfect Team. None.
Shoeless' Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

I don't think the two "options" really have much to do with each other.

Of course I can only speak for myself, I stopped online league play about two years ago, simply because I didn't like the stress of meeting export times, discussing trades back and forth, etc.

So I switched to solo play entirely and also started PT ... but if I wanted to go back to online play this would have nothing to do with PT.

Online leagues require constantly paying attention to your team ... on the other hand my PT team simply plays on ... I added a player a couple of weeks ago and it may take another 2 - 3 weeks before adding another one. I never make moves from reserve to active.

I understand that the mass of OOTP updates late last year must have been extremely frustrating for online league commishs, but I think this won't happen again.
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

Suggest PT be a separate Gameplay Purchase

I think it would be best that OOTP make Perfect team players be a separate game purchase. And concentrate on OOTP 20 for Online leagues
and single players . The game as we use to know it is not getting the development attention as in the past.
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:45 AM   #8
Mat
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by strzepeksc View Post
The game as we use to know it is not getting the development attention as in the past.
Not a fan of PT, but I could not disagree more.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:06 AM   #9
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless' Socks View Post
I've had numerous exports not 'take' because of differences in which version either I or the commissioner is on. Having to download a new version every other day is not optimal, and frankly if its like this next year, it will probably be the end of my participation. I get that PT was buggy but there should have been a better solution/rollout.
Won't happen again. It was a necessary evil because the mode was finished later than hoped, that's just the way it is with new tech most of the time.

For OOTP 20 PT will be on the same schedule. There will be a couple more patches / updates in April & May than usual because we will introduce more features, but after that it'll be smooth sailing and the usual patch per month.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:06 AM   #10
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
I think it would be best that OOTP make Perfect team players be a separate game purchase. And concentrate on OOTP 20 for Online leagues
and single players . The game as we use to know it is not getting the development attention as in the past.
Disagree 100%.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:29 AM   #11
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You do realise that OOTP Developments uses the revenue it generates from ALL its titles to develop ALL the titles. It's not a case of "OTTP brings in 60% of the company's revenue, so we'll devote 60% of the company resources on it."

Markus and Co. were pretty clear that the revenue being generated from the sale of Perfect Points have been very beneficial toward developing new features in OOTP 20 and beyond, due to it being an additional revenue stream that operates year-round, not just peaking at release time. A rising tide lifts all boats.

OOTP Baseball's biggest advantage has been its inclusiveness. Fictional, current, historical and now Perfect Team all available for one low price. No need to buy extra seasons. Why change that? No benefit, from what I can see.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #12
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
Markus and Co. were pretty clear that the revenue being generated from the sale of Perfect Points have been very beneficial toward developing new features in OOTP 20 and beyond, due to it being an additional revenue stream that operates year-round, not just peaking at release time. A rising tide lifts all boats.
Yes, but the PT revenue did not have much influence on OOTP 20 development yet, it came in too late for that and we also did not know how much it would be. For future versions this holds certainly true, though We will now be able to hire more people and improve all aspects of the game in ways that would not have been possible otherwise.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #13
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Yes, but the PT revenue did not have much influence on OOTP 20 development yet, it came in too late for that and we also did not know how much it would be. For future versions this holds certainly true, though We will now be able to hire more people and improve all aspects of the game in ways that would not have been possible otherwise.
I sure hope for this to be true. Statistics are against you though :P

Every game developer that adds a pay to win mode to their games all say this will help with the base game but it almost never happens. Money is just reinvested in the pay to win mode to generate even more money. I mean, we're all still waiting for Fortnite's base game to fully release and that is just one example among many.

Sure hope you'll prove statistics wrong, but you'll be an exception, not the rule, sadly. I do have faith you'll stay true to your word though.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:22 AM   #14
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
I sure hope for this to be true. Statistics are against you though :P

Every game developer that adds a pay to win mode to their games all say this will help with the base game but it almost never happens. Money is just reinvested in the pay to win mode to generate even more money. I mean, we're all still waiting for Fortnite's base game to fully release and that is just one example among many.

Sure hope you'll prove statistics wrong, but you'll be an exception, not the rule, sadly. I do have faith you'll stay true to your word though.
Care to share any facts on these statements? I often hear these, but where is the proof? I mean, look at FIFA, NBA 2KX, MLB the Show, they all still improve their core game, despite their card collecting modes. And keep in mind that these are bad examples, as they are publicly traded companies which have to make the stockholders happy. Does not apply to us. Here all that matters is that I am happy and my employees are happy. And we are only happy when our customers are happy (and we can pay our bills and feed our families, obviously).
Old 02-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #15
kaykills
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I'm curious as to "WHY" your online leagues are losing players? Are you actually getting reasons from these GM's because you write that you "assume" that people are opting to play PT instead. Maybe your GM's are leaving for other reasons.

Our league was worried about losing GM's to PT through beta and into full release. We had a PT channel in our Slack and many of our guys were testing the mode out. To be honest, PT is a completely different beast vs online, and that was realized when we didn't lose any guys at all to PT, and to be fair we are in the most stable point of our leagues existence right now.

I believe we have a few GM's who are playing PT, and enjoying it.

To put the blame squarely on Perfect Team is an unfair statement to make when you are not fully aware that this is why GM's are leaving, and you are having a hard time finding replacements.
Colorado Rockies GM : Skyline League (2037-present)
Bloordale Benedicts GM : National Dynasty League (2087-present)
kaykills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #16
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I think the case needs to be reopened. Was it actually Markus that killed the radio star?
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #17
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

No, it was The Buggles.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #18
Shoeless' Socks
Minors (Double A)

Conversely to the above, in the four leagues I am in, maybe 1-2 people either actually play PT, or liked it beyond the first couple weeks.

I hear what Markus and Lukas are saying ITTs but still color me skeptical long term. I will admit that I now believe that many more people play Perfect Team than participate in online leagues (and since that's all I care about that sucks for me personally) and I did not know that before.
Shoeless' Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #19
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

OOTP Online League Features that need Improvement

Many OOTP online league players have issues such as the rule V draft, the frequency of injuries, realistic contracts, waiver rules, disabled list, and DFA issues that have been posted as areas to improve upon for online leagues.. Those are what I meant to refer to as being neglected thinking focus is upon Perfect team instead. And my hope that OOTP could introduce face-to-face (head to head) play such as in use with " Dynasty League Baseball Online" and "Strat-O-Matic Online" baseball games provide.
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #20
Moose013
Bat Boy

Quote:
Many OOTP online league players have issues such as the rule V draft, the frequency of injuries, realistic contracts, waiver rules, disabled list, and DFA issues that have been posted as areas to improve upon for online leagues.. Those are what I meant to refer to as being neglected thinking focus is upon Perfect team instead. And my hope that OOTP could introduce face-to-face (head to head) play such as in use with " Dynasty League Baseball Online" and "Strat-O-Matic Online" baseball games provide.
Markus has already said elsewhere that there are 2 separate development teams for PT and OOTP 20. The reason your issues haven't been addressed yet, are more likely due to programming constraints than lack of effort on their part.
Moose013 is offline   Reply With Quote