Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:41 PM   #1
Tony820
Minors (Double A)

Predictions on how this guy turns out....

What do we think? Stuff is off the charts, but obviously the concern is him ever getting passed the control and movement issues. Anything I can do to help him along? Really curious to see what happens here...
Attached Images
Tony820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:55 PM   #2
TheBrewCrew
Minors (Double A)

From the best of my understanding, load up your minors w/ Finesse and Groundball Pitching coaches.
TheBrewCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:20 AM   #3
Tony820
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewCrew View Post
From the best of my understanding, load up your minors w/ Finesse and Groundball Pitching coaches.
Do those bring out command and movement?
Old 04-01-2020, 03:24 AM   #4
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony820 View Post
Do those bring out command and movement?
Take a wild guess
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:26 AM   #5
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

Please update with his stats I'm curious too
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:30 AM   #6
lukestephens2293
Minors (Triple A)

with that control i dont see how he can possibly be a starter could be good as a long reliever though
Old 04-01-2020, 05:53 AM   #7
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
No chance. He is 22 already soon 23. Maybe if he was 16.

His control will never improve. You would have to pray to the random number generator gods.

Control almost never improves from the minimum. Its a fluke when it does.

If he has movement he could setup or close. But I've seen plenty he is going to be a "never was".
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:33 AM   #8
lukestephens2293
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
No chance. He is 22 already soon 23. Maybe if he was 16.

His control will never improve. You would have to pray to the random number generator gods.

Control almost never improves from the minimum. Its a fluke when it does.

If he has movement he could setup or close. But I've seen plenty he is going to be a "never was".
he could still be a decent late reliever even with a low movement and control I've had players with movement and control of less than 50 become all stars
Old 04-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #9
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

I had a fairly similar pitcher have one heck of a career. He came within 50 K's of 3000 for his career which is pretty impressive for a league where he got 26 starts per season. Note he had much better stamina than your guy though.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=309114
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Why is he at A+ level? Those ratings are based on MLB players. That alone will stunt his development. How do you learn control pitching to guys that, for the most part, swing at lots of pitches out of the zone? AA or AAA and see what he can do is where I would go. If you have a finesse PC at either of these levels that's even better. He's also getting a spring training invite and 20 innings so I can take a close look and see for myself.

With that stuff and pitch quality just the slightest increase in control and he could be at least good. Flyball- movement combo is one I really like to avoid. Add in the walks of low control and it's a recipe for 2 run dingers. However.... with this stuff and pitch quality he could K his way out of a lot a bad situations. I don't know if he could overcome that 30 control but if it does improve to 40 I think he might stick, again, relying on stuff and pitches. The low control though will push up pitch counts so stamina could wreck a bullpen on bad days where he throws a 100 pitches in just 4 innings.

Definitely the kind of guy I draft in later rounds based on tools. Just lacking a high work ethic but at least he's not lazy.

Give him time and get him a PC with the right focus, wait and hope
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #11
Tony820
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Why is he at A+ level? Those ratings are based on MLB players. That alone will stunt his development. How do you learn control pitching to guys that, for the most part, swing at lots of pitches out of the zone? AA or AAA and see what he can do is where I would go. If you have a finesse PC at either of these levels that's even better. He's also getting a spring training invite and 20 innings so I can take a close look and see for myself.

With that stuff and pitch quality just the slightest increase in control and he could be at least good. Flyball- movement combo is one I really like to avoid. Add in the walks of low control and it's a recipe for 2 run dingers. However.... with this stuff and pitch quality he could K his way out of a lot a bad situations. I don't know if he could overcome that 30 control but if it does improve to 40 I think he might stick, again, relying on stuff and pitches. The low control though will push up pitch counts so stamina could wreck a bullpen on bad days where he throws a 100 pitches in just 4 innings.

Definitely the kind of guy I draft in later rounds based on tools. Just lacking a high work ethic but at least he's not lazy.

Give him time and get him a PC with the right focus, wait and hope
Thanks Sweed, super helpful. So generally speaking, if I’m drafting mostly power pitchers, should I be stocking up my system with pitching coaches that focus on finesse and ground balls? I always tried to hire coaches that matched with the pitchers, but maybe I’m going about it wrong?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #12
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

I'd want to look at his actual walk rates, but no, this guy is probably never going to be a consistent MLB pitcher unless your scout is badly wrong. But he should also be in AA to find out.

Quote:
Thanks Sweed, super helpful. So generally speaking, if I’m drafting mostly power pitchers, should I be stocking up my system with pitching coaches that focus on finesse and ground balls? I always tried to hire coaches that matched with the pitchers, but maybe I’m going about it wrong?
I believe you're doing it right. It's more about who the coach is good at working with than what they actually teach. You should check to see if your preferred prospects show up in the coach's relationships tab.

Last edited by Shake Appeal; 04-01-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Shake Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #13
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
I don't know if there is a right way. What I do is try to have different focus PC at different levels to expose my upcoming arms to the possibility of improving in all areas.

It is only my thought, not game proven by any means, but I think his power game is quite well established. I would try pairing with a finesse PC and hope his control would build towards that 40 pot. Again, just my opinion but striking out guys at A+ that swing at balls a foot over their head (slight exaggeration) won't help. Put him in a league with guys that have some discipline and make him find the zone. That may have no real affect in OOTP but one thing that does is he is a man among boys at A+ and not being challenged. In OOTP that can mean stagnation.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote