Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

Franchise Mode - which Role do you choose?

Which one do you choose when starting a new game?
I used to choose "GM and Manager" until I learned I could pick GM only and get the same freedom and functionality. This also allows the added benefit of retaining the team's current real-life manager instead of booting him.
crowhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowhop View Post

Which one do you choose when starting a new game?
I used to choose "GM and Manager" until I learned I could pick GM only and get the same freedom and functionality. This also allows the added benefit of retaining the team's current real-life manager instead of booting him.
Just GM for me. Putting together a dynasty is much more challenging to me. It would take way to long to play 30 years worth of games.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
ALB123
All Star Reserve

GM & Manager is the only way I want to play my main saved game. Like AirmenSmith, I'm still trying to build the best team & dynasty I can via GM-related actions, but I don't want to lose control over anything if I can help it. I still have the bench coach do my lineup & depth charts usually, but I have the final say and will make changes where I see fit. I don't manually play out the games right now that would be too much for me. Some day I will. I sim one day at a time if I'm trying to keep an eye on something for a few days, otherwise I sim one week at a time.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
GM & Manager is the only way I want to play my main saved game. Like AirmenSmith, I'm still trying to build the best team & dynasty I can via GM-related actions, but I don't want to lose control over anything if I can help it. I still have the bench coach do my lineup & depth charts usually, but I have the final say and will make changes where I see fit. I don't manually play out the games right now that would be too much for me. Some day I will. I sim one day at a time if I'm trying to keep an eye on something for a few days, otherwise I sim one week at a time.
In GM Only mode you can still do the lineups and depth charts and even manage the individual games, if you want.
I'm actually trying to think of a disadvantage of being GM Only, with the positive being you retain the real-life manager.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
In GM Only mode you can still do the lineups and depth charts and even manage the individual games, if you want.
I'm actually trying to think of a disadvantage of being GM Only, with the positive being you retain the real-life manager.
Yes. There is a setting right next to where you choose what your role will be if I'm not mistaken (OOTP Classic). I feel, why hire a manager if I'm going to step all over his turf? It also saves me a few bucks in Personnel costs. That's all.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

GM and Manager for always me been playing this game to long to let the AI make stupid Lineup choices for me, I would rather do those my self.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Yes. There is a setting right next to where you choose what your role will be if I'm not mistaken (OOTP Classic). I feel, why hire a manager if I'm going to step all over his turf? It also saves me a few bucks in Personnel costs. That's all.
I don't think you have to click that in order to control the lineups/depth charts. But you do have to select yourself in the Manager Options section.

So it really seems to come down to personnel cost savings vs keeping the real-life manager on the team, if only as a figurehead.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #8
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Thanks for mentioning this. I have been playing OOTP since version 3, but never really thought about this. I always play GM and Manager, because I am a control freak. I like to control my depth charts, as well as lineups, and I play out every game. I even like controlling all my minor league assignments and set depth charts in the minors, but I really could do this all in GM only mode. I never really thought about it, but I do kind of like the idea of keeping the real life manager, and as was said, there is no real detriment of being GM only except for the money it takes to hire a manager. Also, if my team is bad, I could blame it on the real life manager. I am going to try GM only in my next league save.

Last edited by jeffw3000; 03-31-2020 at 11:06 AM.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw3000 View Post
Thanks for mentioning this. I have been playing OOTP since version 3, but never really thought about this. I always play GM and Manager, because I am a control freak. I like to control my depth charts, as well as lineups, and I play out every game. I even like controlling all my minor league assignments and set depth charts in the minors, but I really could do this all in GM only mode. I never really thought about it, but I do kind of like the idea of keeping the real life manager, and as was said, there is no real detriment of being GM only except for the money it takes to hire a manager. Also, if my team is bad, I could blame it on the real life manager. I am going to try GM only in my next league save.
It's funny, over the dozens of games I created I'd never done anything except GM and Manager...for whatever reason yesterday I tried the Manager Role. I noted what I could and could not do compared to doing both. Then tried GM...and I could, as best I could tell, do everything.

Kind of depends on the team you're taking over, but I like knowing I can have the added flexibility if wanted.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:02 PM   #10
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think in the modern era this is most realistic. Front offices are getting more involved in who plays. The manager still does lineups, makes in game decisions, and handles issues with players but the front office is much more involved in depth charts.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:14 PM   #11
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Quote:

Not exactly true. Set your lineup and depth chart different sim a day and watch as your manager sets it back his way.

Last edited by andyhdz; 03-31-2020 at 01:17 PM.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:44 PM   #12
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
Not exactly true. Set your lineup and depth chart different sim a day and watch as your manager sets it back his way.
Interesting. Will have to test.

Basically I want full control, just retaining the existing manager. Seems silly, probably, but it seems weird to me to just lose the guy.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:48 PM   #13
eldur00
All Star Reserve

I'm in the minority who plays as Manager only, in an historical replay that started in 1991 as Manager of the Montreal Expos, playing out every single game.

You think building a dynasty is tough ? Try as the Manager when you don't have any control over who moves in and out of your lineup.

In 1991, my GM thought it would be a good idea to trade Larry Walker, Bobby Jones and Cash to the Cubs for the infamous Russ McGinnis.

Not complaining though..I love the added challenge.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:00 PM   #14
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
I'm in the minority who plays as Manager only, in an historical replay that started in 1991 as Manager of the Montreal Expos, playing out every single game.

You think building a dynasty is tough ? Try as the Manager when you don't have any control over who moves in and out of your lineup.

In 1991, my GM thought it would be a good idea to trade Larry Walker, Bobby Jones and Cash to the Cubs for the infamous Russ McGinnis.

What kinds of goals do you have?
Also, do you get offers for other jobs if you do Manager only?
Old 03-31-2020, 02:10 PM   #15
ChrisJNelson
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
Just GM for me. Putting together a dynasty is much more challenging to me. It would take way to long to play 30 years worth of games.
Playing as GM & Manager doesn't force you to play out the games in any fashion though. I exclusively play as both and I almost never play games and I typically let AI set all my lineups unless I have specific issues I want to change.
ChrisJNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #16
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post

That's actually a pretty cool way to play ootp. You have to learn to make do with what they give you...which is pretty much the way real-life managers have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJNelson View Post
Playing as GM & Manager doesn't force you to play out the games in any fashion though. I exclusively play as both and I almost never play games and I typically let AI set all my lineups unless I have specific issues I want to change.
Yup. It sounds just like the way I play!
Old 03-31-2020, 03:59 PM   #17
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
What kinds of goals do you have?
Also, do you get offers for other jobs if you do Manager only?

The only goal that pertains to me is the winning goal. Roster goals are still for the GM to deal with.

I would believe I would get offers after a while..since I play out every game, it takes a while to complete a season. This is a labor of love...not a labor of speed, lol.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #18
ablobj
Minors (Double A)

For me, its manager only. I like to leave all the corporate stuff to the suits upstairs, and focus on lineups and strategy. I've tried to get into GM-mode, but to me it's just too much, well, work I suppose.
ablobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:19 PM   #19
prorta
Minors (Single A)

I only play GM and only control the pitching staff on my major league roster in historical view. I also play with random players from different eras. For some reason, some managers place relief pitchers with low stamina as starters just cause they are really good. Then eats up my innings on my bullpen. This way, I can place starters on my rotation without manager interference.
prorta is offline   Reply With Quote