Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #21
dward1
All Star Reserve

The number of just awful AI and gameplay related errors that consistently show up in the game despite being clearly pointed out to developers is huge. This is a devastating one, revenue sharing not working is another, in game base running not matching reality, playoff bullpen usage another, trade AI another. There seems to be not enough time to re examine how the game nuts and bolts actually work even when clear problems are pointed out
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #22
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowhop View Post
Are you sure you didn't accidentally change that financial multiplier setting, or whatever it is, in the settings? I'm new, inexperienced with ootp and I prefer to play historical right now - the nostalgia is so awesome. At some point, I absolutely want to play in the Current Year. If that stuff happens to me, I will stop playing immediately. I'll go back to historical or start a fictional. I couldn't enjoy that for even 5 minutes. That's so freakin' ridiculous!
Old 03-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #23
naturaldopamine
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
That's tough to do if you're already playing in Challenge Mode..

Or already playing in an online league.

The AI problems in this game are why I ONLY play online now. At least in multiplayer you don't have to deal with crappy trade AI, Rule 5 AI, waiver wire AI, free agent AI, owner goal AI, trade proposal AI, etc

We're only stuck with crappy extension AI but at least the bugs are minimized

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."
Oscar Gamble
naturaldopamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
Yes definitely. Much better. Truthfully the MLB default should probably be re-evaluated because it had those same settings since before relative ratings were introduced and I believe the formula for OVR have changed a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #25
jumpin_james
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowhop View Post
If this example isn’t an indication that this part of the game needs fixing, I don’t know what is.

Such an absolutely unrealistic contract ask.
jumpin_james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #26
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
Are you sure you didn't accidentally change that financial multiplier setting, or whatever it is, in the settings? I'm new, inexperienced with ootp and I prefer to play historical right now - the nostalgia is so awesome. At some point, I absolutely want to play in the Current Year. If that stuff happens to me, I will stop playing immediately. I'll go back to historical or start a fictional. I couldn't enjoy that for even 5 minutes. That's so freakin' ridiculous!
Create a new game, go straight to Freeman and offer an extension. You'll get something in that range. I've never seen it less than $40 million a year, at least initially.
Now, it goes down from there as the season goes. But that's about where it starts. It usually comes down to less than $30 million per year.

I personally do not think it's necessarily a flaw in the game.

Last edited by crowhop; 03-28-2020 at 05:59 PM.
crowhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #27
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

IRL

Hunter Pence (who is absolutely one of my all time favorite players) and was worth every penny in his prime has been washed for 3 years.

last year at age 36 he signed for 2M with Texas down from 18.5 for the Giants (for a horrendous 226/258/332) and had a nice little bounce back as a part time player in a hitter friendly park and responded with 297/358/552

so the going nowhere Giants brought him back and gave him 3M to be a role model for the Giants young players. he could hit 000 and be worth that as a role model because he plays the game exactly the way you want it played.

so I fire up my new OOTP season knowing I have a long rebuild with the Giants low talent, bad contracts and lack of prospects. (I feel better when I remember the 3 titles in 5 years) and my OOTP owner wants me to re-sign Hunter Pence. OK, not going anywhere and he will be 37 and his ratings are low, but what a leader. He is easily worth 2-3M for 1 year IRL. in the game he is probably worth less then zero. But still its Pence, so lets hit that extension button....and he asks for 3 YEARS - 12.5 MILLION! Yeah so Hunter there are 142 current outfielders rated higher then you about half of who are on minimum salaries. Your 37. You have had one good half season in the last 3. Your leverage is None. there is no way Pence gets that contract by any team in any circumstance.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #28
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
IRL

Hunter Pence (who is absolutely one of my all time favorite players) and was worth every penny in his prime has been washed for 3 years.

last year at age 36 he signed for 2M with Texas down from 18.5 for the Giants (for a horrendous 226/258/332) and had a nice little bounce back as a part time player in a hitter friendly park and responded with 297/358/552

so the going nowhere Giants brought him back and gave him 3M to be a role model for the Giants young players. he could hit 000 and be worth that as a role model because he plays the game exactly the way you want it played.

so I fire up my new OOTP season knowing I have a long rebuild with the Giants low talent, bad contracts and lack of prospects. (I feel better when I remember the 3 titles in 5 years) and my OOTP owner wants me to re-sign Hunter Pence. OK, not going anywhere and he will be 37 and his ratings are low, but what a leader. He is easily worth 2-3M for 1 year IRL. in the game he is probably worth less then zero. But still its Pence, so lets hit that extension button....and he asks for 3 YEARS - 12.5 MILLION! Yeah so Hunter there are 142 current outfielders rated higher then you about half of who are on minimum salaries. Your 37. You have had one good half season in the last 3. Your leverage is None. there is no way Pence gets that contract by any team in any circumstance.
He’s asking for 1-2 million more per year than what you said he’s worth or 12.5 million per year?

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 03-28-2020 at 07:13 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #29
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

To put things in perspective Betts got traded because of his demand of 35M/year. He was only 27 and a significantly better than Freeman.
greenOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #30
jumpin_james
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenOak View Post
To put things in perspective Betts got traded because of his demand of 35M/year. He was only 27 and a significantly better than Freeman.
Exactly.

I wish the devs would speak on this. No way can they say Freeman wanting 50 million per year is in line with their programming.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #31
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

Played one day into the season...

In this scenario, Freeman is two years out from FA, so he's negotiating from a position of strength. I'll say again that I don't think this is a big deal and I don't think it showcases some failing in the software.

Last edited by crowhop; 03-28-2020 at 07:51 PM.
crowhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #32
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
He’s asking for 1-2 million more per year than what you said he’s worth or 12.5 million per year?
I dont see him saying that at all. Term is important here.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #33
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Asking way too much for extensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
I dont see him saying that at all. Term is important here.

Negotiate, trade or let him walk and if you really want him, offer him a contract as he test FA.

One thing that wasn’t brought up in this conversation is the player’s signability. I’m sure that has an effect on asking price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 03-29-2020 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:13 AM   #34
thesmokeshow
Minors (Double A)

I love the extension system. Feels very organic. Creates a challenge so it’s not a no brainer to re-sign all your key players. Some guys ask for the moon and you gotta let them get to free agency. A lot of the times though it has to do with there personality and happiness on your team.

I traded for Aaron Nola while he was in a contract year. When I first got him at the deadline, he wanted $19M per year over 5. I decided to hold off and he preceded to go 5-0 down the stretch with like 2.00 ERA, he was pitching like an ace. And then when I looked at the extension again before the postseason, he wanted $27M over 7. He improved his stock and I missed my opportunity. It felt super realistic.

Not saying it’s perfect either. But I think it feels really responsive to the way a player is doing and creates a good challenge to make shrewd decisions.
thesmokeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:56 AM   #35
jumpin_james
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmokeshow View Post
I love the extension system. Feels very organic. Creates a challenge so it’s not a no brainer to re-sign all your key players. Some guys ask for the moon and you gotta let them get to free agency. A lot of the times though it has to do with there personality and happiness on your team.

I traded for Aaron Nola while he was in a contract year. When I first got him at the deadline, he wanted $19M per year over 5. I decided to hold off and he preceded to go 5-0 down the stretch with like 2.00 ERA, he was pitching like an ace. And then when I looked at the extension again before the postseason, he wanted $27M over 7. He improved his stock and I missed my opportunity. It felt super realistic.

Not saying it’s perfect either. But I think it feels really responsive to the way a player is doing and creates a good challenge to make shrewd decisions.
So you’re telling me that a MLB GM is going to give Freddie Freeman 50 million per year for 8 years? Or 39 year old Nelson Cruz 27 million per year for 5 more years.

Not realistic. Not authentic. At all.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #36
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpin_james View Post
So you’re telling me that a MLB GM is going to give Freddie Freeman 50 million per year for 8 years? Or 39 year old Nelson Cruz 27 million per year for 5 more years.

Not realistic. Not authentic. At all.
The AI doesn’t give out these contracts and a human GM would be smart enough to let them test FA. Just because a player ask for the money doesn’t mean you have to meet the demand. As mentioned a number of times, the number goes down as the season progresses.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #37
eas9898
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmokeshow View Post

I don't think anyone would disagree that things like that are cool and appropriate. But what's being discussed here are players specifically asking for extensions that are far and above anything they can get in FA, and then after becoming FAs, signing for a more realistic amount, often at a 70-80% discount.
eas9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #38
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
The AI doesn’t give out these contracts and a human GM would be smart enough to let them test FA. Just because a player ask for the money doesn’t mean you have to meet the demand. As mentioned a number of times, the number goes down as the season progresses.
Very true, but I don't think any player would realistically ask for that kind of money. It's ridiculous, in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #39
jumpin_james
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Not the point. When the owner demands I sign him to an extension (as a yearly goal) and the only extension the player will agree to is completely unrealistic, it’s putting me behind the 8-ball. Either I hamstring my future financial flexibility by signing the ludicrous contract or piss off the owner by ignoring his demand.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #40
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpin_james View Post
Not the point. When the owner demands I sign him to an extension (as a yearly goal) and the only extension the player will agree to is completely unrealistic, it’s putting me behind the 8-ball. Either I hamstring my future financial flexibility by signing the ludicrous contract or piss off the owner by ignoring his demand.
It's not a crime to fail a goal. Also, his demand goes down as the season progresses.