Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
halfbutt
Minors (Double A)

Collections are cool but...

Collections are fun and I'm really enjoying my first PT experience so far.

That said, please gentlemen, really think hard about paying ten times the value of cards. I am seeing cards worth 20 pp going for over 100 pp and cards worth 90pp with asking prices of 900pp. I realise this is all about supply and demand, and if everyone needs that certain low level card to complete a collection, well, demand is there.

Still, we have the whole year ahead. I'm personally not going to pay exhorbitant amounts for a card I'm not likely to ever use, and am fine to wait and get it at a fair price. I urge other newbs like myself to not fall victim to this.

Happy auctioning, everyone!
halfbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbutt View Post

That said, please gentlemen, really think hard about paying ten times the value of cards. I am seeing cards worth 20 pp going for over 100 pp and cards worth 90pp with asking prices of 900pp. I realise this is all about supply and demand, and if everyone needs that certain low level card to complete a collection, well, demand is there.

Still, we have the whole year ahead. I'm personally not going to pay exhorbitant amounts for a card I'm not likely to ever use, and am fine to wait and get it at a fair price. I urge other newbs like myself to not fall victim to this.

It's been like this for the first two versions of PT. Prices will come down eventually.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
Orion
Major Leagues

Quote:

The card is worth 900 pp because the payoff you get for completion of the mission remains equal to or larger than your initial outlay. If you want to get reasonably priced cards, I advise targeting historical cards. They often have better stats and are not being chased by completionists.

Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
The card is worth 900 pp because the payoff you get for completion of the mission remains equal to or larger than your initial outlay. If you want to get reasonably priced cards, I advise targeting historical cards. They often have better stats and are not being chased by completionists.
Historics are targeted heavily by tournament people.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
halfbutt
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
If I am trying to collect 26 out of 34 Live Series cards, and the reward card value for the collection is around 1800 pp, then spending 900pp on a single iron card I will never use is just poor decision making.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #6
Orion
Major Leagues

Some of those cards are worth 10's of K. If I say, spend 16k and get a Duke Snider that sold for 23k, I still profit 3K+ PPs after the sales tax, and get to keep the collection. Or I can keep the Duke myself and my lineup improves measurably. For the ones that are not worth the bother, prices will come down in a few weeks accordingly.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #7
Orion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Historics are targeted heavily by tournament people.
True, but given the collection run, they have seemed a good value lately unless they are '7,8,9 ers. The value area for a FTP newbie it to target 80's or 71's that the tourney guys don't generally use. That standout 79 reliever the tourney guy drools over might be no better in league than an 80 gold that goes for less than half the PP. New teams should form a decent starting 9 and maybe a standout SP or two, then fill out the rest of the team. Hitters in general are more lucrative in the long run for performance PP's so should be the focus right away. They can start paying for themselves over time and give you the weekly cash influx to complete missions once the rush is over.

Last edited by Orion; 03-26-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #8
halfbutt
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Some of those cards are worth 10's of K. If I say, spend 16k and get a Duke Snider that sold for 23k, I still profit 3K+ PPs after the sales tax, and get to keep the collection. Or I can keep the Duke myself and my lineup improves measurably. For the ones that are not worth the bother, prices will come down in a few weeks accordingly.
No doubt. In the case of that Duke card, you are 100% correct.

I was more referring to the cards that normally go for 20pp which people are paying 200pp for, etc.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:13 PM   #9
Orion
Major Leagues

Quote:
No doubt. In the case of that Duke card, you are 100% correct.

I was more referring to the cards that normally go for 20pp which people are paying 200pp for, etc.
That is my point. I was tossing money around right and left last night paying ridiculous costs for Live bronzes that are totally useless. But if I can cut to the chase quickly and rapidly finish the collections off, for me that's worth it even when I spent 8-10k for a card that is worth 2k. Most collections don't truly payoff until you get to the five star end bonuses. In this case the division/conf/league bonus cards like the drool worthy Greg Maddux. Those cards are so good they can start even on a $$$$ whale team, and you can get them without spending your beer money, it's just slower than pay-to-win.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
halfbutt
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
That is my point. I was tossing money around right and left last night paying ridiculous costs for Live bronzes that are totally useless. But if I can cut to the chase quickly and rapidly finish the collections off, for me that's worth it even when I spent 8-10k for a card that is worth 2k. Most collections don't truly payoff until you get to the five star end bonuses. In this case the division/conf/league bonus cards like the drool worthy Greg Maddux. Those cards are so good they can start even on a $$$$ whale team, and you can get them without spending your beer money, it's just slower than pay-to-win.
Hey, if you have the pp to burn, go for it! I was just pointing out that this does have an impact on those of us who can't toss money around. If nobody overpays, the prices come down sooner.

But then, the whole world is going crazy right now anyway, so what do I know?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:49 PM   #11
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Hey, if y'all don't pay for my bronzes, I'll lower the price. Granted, I'm not going to the extreme price gouging lengths of other people. I cap out the tougher to get bronzes around 250 pp buyout even if I could list it for double or triple that and still be undercutting what's already on the market. I'm trying to make a profit here, not conduct highway robbery.
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:01 PM   #12
Orion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Hey, if you have the pp to burn, go for it! I was just pointing out that this does have an impact on those of us who can't toss money around. If nobody overpays, the prices come down sooner.

But then, the whole world is going crazy right now anyway, so what do I know?

The thing is, after all is said and done, I should at the very least recoup the investment, PLUS add my 4-5 favorite cards of the lot to the roster. As you say though, have to have a large investment fund up front and have the determination to see the thing through to cash in the five star rewards.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:48 AM   #13
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:

I did a White Sox team collection very early so I didn't get the overpriced cards to deal with. I do know what you mean though. I made decision before starting PT to go straight to collecting & playing with only Sox players. I'm loving it but maybe I won't down the line as seasons progress. The promotion & relegation hopefully will keep me where I belong...Not in a Perfect Team League for sure..lol
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #14
Willie M
Minors (Double A)

You should be encouraging this behavior.

Live cards are pulled in multiples, where most pack rippers have 5-25 versions of each card.

Eventually a majority of all players will have every iron/bronze/silver live, and those that don't have them will be able to get cards at bare bone prices if people don't quicksell.

Waiting game.
Willie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #15
neugey
All Star Reserve

I could see an argument that the AH market will be a little higher on the whole in OOTP 21 than in OOTP 20. Here is my rationale -

- Packs seem slightly better this year. Seems like they may have bumped up the historical odds a little bit this year to avoid the boredom of pulling packs and wading through almost all live cards. Also the iron historical Unsung Heroes are much more prevalent and not in low supply like last year (thank God).

- Live cards have more value due to the exquisite missions starting off OOTP 21

- Tournaments available from the outset meaning more demand for quality cards of any tier

Because of all of this, pulling packs is not the suicide mission it was last year and I'd bet more people are less fearful of popping some packs. Due to this there is somewhat less AH demand than last year for improving your team ... more of the demand is trying to complete missions.

But then again after 1-2 months or so is completed and PT21 league pyramid is stabilized, I think it could then start to resemble last year's market a bit more.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #16
HiDesertAce
Major Leagues

The supply of LIVE cards is artifically limited because they have put a cap of 50 cards that any team can auction at once.

I have a team that is pack only and has opened about 40 packs at this point. Today I tried to list all my LIVE iron dupes...could not list them all because I ran into the cap.

So you have a lot of demand for LIVE cards because of the missions. and reduced supply because of the cap. Leads to higher prices.

HiDesertAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #17
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDesertAce View Post
The supply of LIVE cards is artifically limited because they have put a cap of 50 cards that any team can auction at once.

I have a team that is pack only and has opened about 40 packs at this point. Today I tried to list all my LIVE iron dupes...could not list them all because I ran into the cap.

So you have a lot of demand for LIVE cards because of the missions. and reduced supply because of the cap. Leads to higher prices.

I've ripped 130+ packs and yet to run into that cap. I list them as I get them.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #18
ignats75
Minors (Triple A)

This year,

ignats75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #19
ignats75
Minors (Triple A)

This year, I'm refusing to buy PP. All three of my teams are earned PPs only. I'm fighting the urge to purchase any and I want to see if I can still have what I would consider any success this way. In the meantime, my primary team, I'm going to try and hang onto any D's and G's unless they're redundant to my starting 9+. My other two teams I'm going to be more tournament focused; although I haven't figured out how I'm going to do that yet.

ignats75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:11 AM   #20
halfbutt
Minors (Double A)

Here's what I'm talking about:

A live series Rich Hill, who has never fetched more than 70 pp, is currently being auctioned for a minimum bid of 100pp, and buy now of 1112pp.

Sorry man, I'm not paying that.