Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:07 AM   #1
thehef
Hall Of Famer

NFL QB Carousel

With Brady having landed in Tampa, and some other high-profile QB moves, here's where we are with 2020 starting QB's, team by team:

AFC EAST
Patriots - going with Stidham appears to be the direction at the moment; Newton a possibility; apparently Winston & Dalton not in their plans...
Bills - Allen
Jets - Darnold
Dolphins - Looks like it'll be Fitzpatrick as the starter again, while a high-profile draft pick (Tua or Herbert) learns... (What of Rosen?)

AFC NORTH
Ravens - Jackson, entrenched as the franchise QB
Steelers - Roethlisberger, assuming he's healthy; if not, Rudolph?
Browns - Mayfield, in what is probably the season that determines his trajectory as either a franchise QB or clipboard holder; newly acquired Keenum waits in the wings if needed...
Bengals - will probably draft Burrow; will he start out of the gate or will they go with Finlay or some free agent caretaker? Maybe Flacco as a tutor?

AFC SOUTH
Texans - Watson is the franchise QB
Titans - going all-in on Tannehill; a gamble, but maybe he just needed out of Miami
Colts - just signed Rivers... oh boy; could work out but could get ugly... apparently committing to Brissett as their backup
Jaguars - committing to Minshew, with Foles gone to the Bears, a veteran backup is needed

AFC WEST
Chiefs - no job is as secure as Mahomes'
Broncos - committing to Lock, but need a backup
Raiders - perhaps it's still Carr, but with Mariotta just acquired, who knows...?
Chargers - looks like they are giving the job to last year's backup, Taylor; still, they need a backup, perhaps one with starter potential (Winston or Newton?)

NFC EAST
Eagles - Wentz remains the solid starter
Cowboys - Prescott
Giants - it's Jones' team now
Redskins - Haskins, for now; Allen acquired from Panthers as the backup & possible challenger...

NFC NORTH
Packers - Rodgers, without question
Vikings - they just committed to Cousins
Bears - Foles brought in to compete with Trubisky
Lions - sticking with Stafford but could take their future QB with the 3rd pick...

NFC SOUTH
Saints - Brees, signed to a 2-year deal
Falcons - Ryan is seemingly entrenched... why not?
Bucs - going with some kid named Brady
Panthers - signed Bridgewater as their starter; Allen sent to 'Skins...

NFC WEST
49ers - no reason to think they'll move on from Garapollo
Seahawks - Wilson, no question
Rams - Goff is their guy
Cardinals - Murray

Notable free agents, and others who might possibly be available:

Brissett - The Colts say they're keeping him. He'd be expensive, but the best backup in the league to a QB who might be washed up...
Carr - Might the Raiders send him packing in favor of Mariotta? If so, there would probably be a few takers...
Dalton - Expected to be traded or released, but headed where? Bears are off the board after acquiring Foles, and Pats apparently not interested...
Flacco - Might be headed to the Jets as Darnold's backup? Seems that if he's healthy enough and - importantly - willing, he could be a good tutor/backup in a number of places (Mia, Cinc, Tenn, Jax, SD, NYG, SF...)... Otherwise? Time to retire...
Hill - Probably sticks with the Saints...
Kaepernick - I suppose he has to be mentioned, but at this point, ya gotta think he's not worth the hassle & risk...
Luck - Not much chatter about a comeback, but can't be ruled out... In that unlikely event, Patriots & Chargers would be the only ones that make sense...
Newton - Can can the Bears out as a destination; probably the Chargers, too. Not many places left for him. Maybe Pats?
Rosen - Might not be kept if they draft a QB early in 1st round, as expected...
Alex Smith - if he recovers from his brutal leg injury and if the 'Skins cut him...
Winston - Perhaps the Pats or Fish give him a look; otherwise, it looks like his options are limited to a backup slot wherever he goes...

Last edited by thehef; 03-23-2020 at 04:49 PM. Reason: various minor updates...
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

I think the Colts will keep Brissett. He is on the last year of a fairly friendly contract and, as you say, the Rivers thing has potential downside.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

I think Carr would be a good fit in NE. He's a smart guy that works incredibly hard and fits Belichick's M.O. I could see him flourishing in the Pats structure/system where they'll limit his mistakes.
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #4
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I don't know why people think Carr is going anywhere.
Hes adjusted to Gruden's system and he has had career numbers
in several categories. Mariota is for backup depth.
I dont see starting a qb that just lost his starting job over a guy that is putting up decent numbers.
What Carr needs is a true legit #1 receiver.
Crabtree and Cooper were not a consistent go to receiver.
I hear people saying Carr hasn't been the same since 2016. However his stats say otherwise.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:46 AM   #5
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Updated the OP to reflect Foles going to Chicago, the Chargers apparently committing to Taylor, and a few other domino-edits...
Old 03-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Joe Flacco is now looking for work supposedly because of a failed physical.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Tom Brady as a Buccaneer is still making me do this:

I can imagine how some Patriots fans feel. You have a guy at the helm for so long, with such spectacular success, you want him to finish with the team. You just cannot imagine him in another uniform.

With less, but still pinnacles, of success, I felt the same about Manning. The only way it happened the way I wanted it to was because Manning decided to retire, knowing that the Giants were moving on at QB. The team would have allowed him to walk otherwise, just as the Patriots did with Brady.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #8
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Updated the OP to reflect Foles going to Chicago, the Chargers apparently committing to Taylor, and a few other domino-edits...
He's on the second year of a 2 year deal worth 11 million. Far from committed. Did I miss something? The Chargers are also in line to pick up Herbert in the draft if the Lions don't pick a QB.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
He's on the second year of a 2 year deal worth 11 million. Far from committed. Did I miss something? The Chargers are also in line to pick up Herbert in the draft if the Lions don't pick a QB.
Fair enough. I was just referring to a couple of articles saying the Chargers were going with him as their starter for 2020, as opposed to pursuing Winston, Foles, or any other available, higher-profile QB.