Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:24 AM   #1
Sabreredleg
Bat Boy

Draft Budget

Can someone explain the draft budget to me?

The manual says "The draft budget operates independently from the rest of the finances and is "use it or lose it". However, if you exceed your draft budget it will impact on your finances to the extent of that excess"

This suggests that if I have 5 million in the draft budget but only spend 3 million, the other 2 million is lost. But I could spend 7 million - I'd just lose 2 million out of my FA budget.

However, I notice that in preseason I can adjust this number (even down to 0) and it directly changes my available funds. If I can truly overspend what's allocated in the draft budget, what the point of putting any money here at all?
Sabreredleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
Danius
Minors (Double A)

ignore this...

Last edited by Danius; 07-27-2017 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Misread the original post the first time...
Danius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
hefalumps
All Star Starter

I think the only point is to make sure you don't spend all your money on something else and then have nothing left for signing draft picks. There have been seasons where my team has struggled, attendance was down, and cash was tight, but I knew because we were going to have a higher draft pick that I'd want to make sure I still had money to sign that higher slot pick. That was the only time I've ever touched my draft budget, increasing it slightly to make sure I had money earmarked for that purpose.

But I imagine there's nothing stopping you from just saving that portion of money in your head and not specifically putting it in your draft budget, or at least making it low enough to make sure the money doesn't get wasted. Hopefully one of the other experts can comment and tell us if there's more to it than that.

It's a good question - I'm glad you asked and am curious to hear other responses.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

"This suggests that if I have 5 million in the draft budget but only spend 3 million, the other 2 million is lost. But I could spend 7 million - I'd just lose 2 million out of my FA budget."

if yougo in "excess" not under... but regardless that money will not be available for use this year.

like you said it impacts the available funds... if you set it to 7M then spend 5M ? you'll need trial and error to know if you get the 2m back, but what can you spend it on? possibly help in july trades i guess.

i think you need to be in comissioner mode to spend above a draft budget.

edit: oops.

ha, this was in reponse as if it's a inaugural draft:

can help create parity... also helps ensure that the poor teams don't start off witha 200M payroll they cannot afford.

i typically set it to the market sizes avg rev minus 20-30M or so for other expenses. or set it to your leage's average payroll for all works easily too.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-27-2017 at 10:39 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
sonicqaz
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm confused on this as well, not sure the answers here answered the question I have. I'm assuming this question is for the amateur/rookie draft (First year player draft is what I think OOTP calls it).

If I have 5M set aside and I only spend 3M, what happens to the 2M I dont spend? Am I able to access that money for anything next season or does the owner just pocket the 2M and its gone for good? If the owner just pockets it, shouldn't I just offer it all to the players to make sure they sign?
sonicqaz is offline   Reply With Quote