Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Spring Training Strategy?

So this is the first game that I've actually paid attention to Spring Training, going start by start and looking at how my pitchers do, but it seems like every year my starters get ripped in spring training, and idk if that has an effect going into the season. What I've been doing is starting with a pitch count of 50 then bumping it up to 65, 75, 85 but they rarely get to those limits, and instead usually pitch 4 innings which is what I want them to do anyways, but my point is that they always get drilled in spring training and im talking ERA's usually over 5 for the majority of my starters, and I just wanna know basically is there any sort of strategy/tips that are best to use in Spring Training and also if a player has a terrible spring, does that effect them going into the season?

Thanks in advance
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

The game knows about pitch limits so I don't focus there. I set ST as a 6 man rotation strict order. I then leave all relief settings to not specified. The AI will better distribute innings this way.

ERAs tend to be a bit higher, but I don't worry about them. You are trying to work out the off season rust. It may be that your pitchers are pitching tired if you leave the regular season settings on or it could be normal.
Commish of the On-Line Dynasty League
SIMBL2 - Westbury Cannons
Great Lakes Baseball - Toledo Neptunes
World Baseball - Guantanamo Marines
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Bristolduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Forgot to mention, I also set a 6 man rotation. My relievers tend to have good springs, but my starters are always terrible. Thanks for the response though
Old 03-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Also it's frustrating because if I'm having a competition for the #5 spot in the rotation, it's hard to tell who stands out, also same goes for relievers
Old 03-31-2017, 10:06 PM   #5
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
Also it's frustrating because if I'm having a competition for the #5 spot in the rotation, it's hard to tell who stands out, also same goes for relievers
If you're having two pitchers compete for the #5 start have them go as the #1 and #2 guys, with the better rated guy going first, so they have the most starts. If you are going for a bullpen competition, set to use more often and/or use in high leverage to see who can stick and who cant.

Plays legit baseball now. My OOTP ratings are low.

2022 update: I'm two stars!
TuckerDuckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:56 AM   #6
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Don't look at ERA, instead compare WHIP, BABIP, K/9, and BB/9

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

I take it one step further and use a 7 man rotation. I set the six man strict rotation and shuffle in/out the 7th starter. I take the most fatigued pitcher out of the rotation and change his role to Emergency starter...then I shuffle that guy back in and pull out the next starter...and so on.

I am obsessed with avoiding spring training injuries lol!
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

In general, especially for pitchers, spring training isn't long enough to give you an accurate picture of their potential. 10-15 innings is just too small of a sample size. So I almost completely ignore ST stats. Usually I only have a handful of guys who are on the bubble to stay on the active roster and I go by ratings and past performance, with ST stats just a bonus/tie breaking factor.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All things being equal or just close, you should look at who is out of options. Real life teams consider all players as assets and are reluctant to put players on waivers unless they have to. Bottom line is that it's not always the best performer who makes the 25 man especially players with ML contracts who can refuse assignments.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Thanks for all the replies, but is it normal for your main starters to be terrible in spring training? Im talking about my top 3 starters who have overalls from 60-75 on the 80 scale and they just keep getting shelled. Does that have any lasting effect going into the regular season?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
BlueSkull
Minors (Single A)

One other thing that could be happening is that if poor fielders, players learning new positions, catchers with low ability, etc. are getting a lot of playing time for you in spring training, then pitcher performance will also suffer over and above their "rust". As has been pointed out, it's small sample size, otherwise I'd also say compare to their FIPs.
BlueSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #12
Willie McCubby
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies, but is it normal for your main starters to be terrible in spring training? Im talking about my top 3 starters who have overalls from 60-75 on the 80 scale and they just keep getting shelled. Does that have any lasting effect going into the regular season?
I don't find a strong correlation between spring training and regular season stats, whether it is SPs, RPs, or position players. It is one of the features of the game that OOTP does exceptionally well - the 6-man rotation, the late innings subs, etc. is very realistic.

The important thing is that players get playing time, shake off the rust. I would be surprised if the spring stats figure into AI player evaluation. Do they?
Willie McCubby is offline   Reply With Quote