Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Only 35 rounds in draft

I just went through the 2016 first year player draft, and despite having it set for 40 rounds, only 35 were actually held. Is there a reason for this?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #2
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I just went through the 2016 first year player draft, and despite having it set for 40 rounds, only 35 were actually held. Is there a reason for this?
Did you make sure there were enough created players?
ohiodevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #3
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Did you import a draft.csv file at any point during the process?
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

No...here is what I did: I started the 2016 MLB game, but changed a few things. When the draft pool was announced, I deleted all of the players (as I was told to do since I did not want the real draft players who have no stats) and then re-scheduled the draft pool announcement for 5 days later. I thought I had 40 rounds scheduled, with players created for 41 rounds.

I can't understand what happened here. The only thing I could think of is if the rounds were at 35 when the pool was created, but I don't think it was.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Do your draft settings still say 40 rounds? Maybe they reset when you rescheduled the draft pool announcement date?
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

yes, I went backhand looked, and it still says 40/41

I also...I did change the date of the draft...but this was all prior to the start of the season.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 09-19-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

A guess... the 2016 draft pool is "pre-created" to include the real prospects, so there were no additional fictional players created when you increased the draft pool size to 41 and you ran out of players after round 35.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

But I deleted all of those pre-created players, and then generated a new pool.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #9
homerj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
For some reason, the 2016 draft order is goofy. Just for the first you you have to click on the option to recalculate it and left everyone lose their comp picks. It fixes itself for 2017.

I also noticed something with 40 rounds, the AI has a tendency to actually sign all but a couple. If you keep it at 35, you get a realistic number of people coming in vs. real life. So I experimented with using 40, went back to using 35.
homerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
For some reason, the 2016 draft order is goofy. Just for the first you you have to click on the option to recalculate it and left everyone lose their comp picks. It fixes itself for 2017.
Can you elaborate on what's goofy before you recalc? There shouldn't be anything too crazy happening, if there is it should deserve a look.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #11
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
But I deleted all of those pre-created players, and then generated a new pool.
Can you re-create the problem in another league?

Specifically, is this a one-off thing, or does it happen in any league/game you try to increase the rounds of the draft and delete the default players?

Old 09-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #12
homerj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Can you elaborate on what's goofy before you recalc? There shouldn't be anything too crazy happening, if there is it should deserve a look.
I dunno, I never investigated it further. Just when I was exploring using 40 rounds myself, it would still do 35. Anything over 35 rounds capped the draft to 35. I made sure everything was set, it would tell me on the draft screen it was 40 rounds, but only get 35. A draft under 35 rounds I believe worked.

It would fix itself for the 2017 draft. But the only way I found to actually get 40 rounds in 2016 was to recalculate the draft class. I never toyed with the exporting/importing in of a draft to see if that would work.
homerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Can you re-create the problem in another league?

Specifically, is this a one-off thing, or does it happen in any league/game you try to increase the rounds of the draft and delete the default players?
Don't know, as I just sort of accepted it and am moving forward with the league, but it struck me as odd.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

It must be the first year of the draft...I really wish we were not forced to deal with real prospects....nobody knows how they'll turn out anyway...I think in the process of putting real players in, this became a side effect.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #15
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

See, I love the real prospects. When I do a 2016 season, I love the fact that I can draft real 2016 prospects, not random made-up guys.

Sure, we don't know how they'll turn out, but we have scouting reports. We don't know how guys in the low minors at the start of 2016 will turn out, either, but nobody complains about having them in the game.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #16
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
See, I love the real prospects. When I do a 2016 season, I love the fact that I can draft real 2016 prospects, not random made-up guys.

Sure, we don't know how they'll turn out, but we have scouting reports. We don't know how guys in the low minors at the start of 2016 will turn out, either, but nobody complains about having them in the game.
Yeah, exactly.

The real prospects aren't going anywhere, making them and putting them in game is something we really love doing. It just adds so much to the game imho

I totally get if some people don't like them, and that's cool, but it's easy to just delete them and have the game generate guys. Ultimately, I suspect a lot more people love having them then dislike them.

I guess there is a bit of a bug here with the increasing of the rounds, but that's only tangentially related to the real prospects anyway.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 09-19-2016 at 07:59 PM.