Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Which does the better job of putting you in the manager's chair?, which has the better all around AI
OOTP 14 67 54.47%
Football Manager 2013 56 45.53%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #181
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
I don't think you understand how FM works.
says the guy who's played it how long? Hours since Steam:

09 - 752
10 - skipped
11 - 192
12 - 379
13 - 404

And you can more than double that when you include every Football Management game since Kevin Thoms' original Football Manager on 8 bit.

Last edited by MrMuse; 10-21-2013 at 04:28 PM.
MrMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #182
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
I think you might want to read up a little more on the match engine.

The match engine actually changes the outcome of plays and the game overall. That's been stated by the dev team and discussed at length on the web.

It's not merely a cosmetic improvement. It has a direct and substantial effect on gameplay and tactics. It alters the results from what you'd see in 2d.
No. It doesn't. Even if shouts and other on-the-fly adjustments actually worked properly (which they don't). There is nothing you can do in the 3D match engine that you cant do watching the game in 2D or even commentary alone modes.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #183
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
luckymarine 19 Oct @ 12:17pm

Nothing has changed, they've bolted on a different tactic interface and thats about it.
Updated player lists and you have interviews for jobs which are all too easy to get through.

Its 2013 in a pretty dress with all the failings still glaringly obvious.
You'll still shout at the inept players running around like headless chickens in the match engine.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #184
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Anyway, I'm not even sure why I got sidetracked into this pointless argument. As I've already said, yearly changes are always debateable in these kind of games; and, for the third time - I'm not even questioning this...what I'm questioning is the cost and the value: And the upshot of it all is that I wanted a NEW management game. So I bought OOTP because I [and that "I" there...see it??? It means 'ME' not 'YOU'] am not satisfied with paying £35 over and over for what I [oooh there it is again] believe is basically the same game.

Postscript: I still love the franchise, and no doubt I will return to it when I feel the time is right. Until then, I will stick to (and I believe this is a good general strategy) skipping at least every other year from now on. And yes, Lukasberger, the core game is, indeed, a great one but that doesn't mean it can't be improved still further without breaking it.

Last edited by MrMuse; 10-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #185
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Has anybody here given the new FM 14 a whirl?

Last edited by PSUColonel; 11-19-2013 at 12:00 AM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #186
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Why I love Steam for gaming:

No CD's to find or keys to keep track of

My games are available on whatever computer I happen to be on

Games always work on my system

No fees

Discounted games on sale directly from Steam

Superdiscounted Steam game bundles from Humble Bumble

Free to play games

Multiplayer support

Community features (forums, etc.)

Workshops for game mods

Voice chat

Text chat

Friends lists

Trophies

Ability to download multiple times (handy if your hard drive fails)

Yup...I used to hate STEAM, but I have now come around. Workshop is worth the price of admission...a great feature/tool
Old 11-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #187
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Yup...I used to hate STEAM, but I have now come around. Workshop is worth the price of admission...a great feature/tool
I love it when I see that a game I just bought has a Workshop. Extra bonus value!
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #188
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I love it when I see that a game I just bought has a Workshop. Extra bonus value!
I hope this will be the case for OOTP next year. That would be great for all of the logos, units, ballparks etc...
Old 11-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #189
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope this will be the case for OOTP next year. That would be great for all of the logos, units, ballparks etc...
Yes. And I simply do not understand why Steam doesn't Greenlight OOTP. /boggle
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #190
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling they might this time.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #191
SmoothGentleman
Major Leagues

I still believe it's FM and it's not that close currently. FM has full coaching staffs and in FM there is more of the ability to just manage with new features while in OOTP you pretty can both manage and GM easily.

I'd like a feature where you can anger a manager by messing with the lineup and you can ask (and sometimes demand) a certain line up to add to realism. In FM you have the ability to speak to management for more allocation to funds in certain areas, which you cannot do in OOTP.

Even though I remember this being confirmed for OOTP 13, but it never showed up in the final product. OOTP is getting closer, just needs a slight bit more still to add to the realism factor with the Manager/Front Office relationships.
SmoothGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #192
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling they might this time.
What a proclamation!!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #193
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Just purchased the FM14 beta. This will either be the best game of my life or the downfall to my social life...or both...
How has it turned out for you? lol
Old 12-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #194
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
How has it turned out for you? lol
I've been so busy that I haven't been able to dive into this just yet. The little I have played I have really enjoyed.
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #195
Statsman1
Major Leagues

As a Canadian, I can tell you that FM14 is...
  • incredibly in-depth
  • very detailed
  • sophisticated graphically
  • very, very good at reinforcing the idea that I know absolutely nothing about the inner workings of an international soccer franchise

I feel like a complete idiot when I play that game (though who DOESN'T want to manage a team called "Crystal Palace") because I have no clue what the processes are to be successful.

However, you cannot argue with the depth of this game, and the attention to detail. If you're a soccer / football person, and you love OOTP, then you'll love FM.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #196
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

I used to love FM until OOTP showed me the fictional light and haven't really touched FM since, and before people say FM can do fictional try inputting 2,000 fictional towns in a country that doesn't even exsist and 1,000s of fictional names into it and see how you go.

Then there's historical, unless I missed something it doesn't exsist in FM. I'd love to play an historical league in FM with players like Keegan, Best, Moore and the Charlton's going against each other but you can't. OOTP on the other hand gives me a chance of Pete Rose tagging up at second on a Babe Ruth fly ball, until that happens FM will always take a back seat and that's coming from a football season ticket holder.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #197
helm123
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Anyone running FM13 really owes it to themselves to go grab the FMUpdates EEE for FM13. You can start down in level 7/8 in the English league system.

Sports Interactive Community

They are currently finishing up the version for FM14.
helm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #198
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsman1 View Post
As a Canadian, I can tell you that FM14 is...
  • incredibly in-depth
  • very detailed
  • sophisticated graphically
  • very, very good at reinforcing the idea that I know absolutely nothing about the inner workings of an international soccer franchise

I feel like a complete idiot when I play that game (though who DOESN'T want to manage a team called "Crystal Palace") because I have no clue what the processes are to be successful.

However, you cannot argue with the depth of this game, and the attention to detail. If you're a soccer / football person, and you love OOTP, then you'll love FM.
It works like that for us Americans, too. And I've been playing on one soccer/association football team or another since I was eight years old.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #199
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Then there's historical, unless I missed something it doesn't exsist in FM. I'd love to play an historical league in FM with players like Keegan, Best, Moore and the Charlton's going against each other but you can't. OOTP on the other hand gives me a chance of Pete Rose tagging up at second on a Babe Ruth fly ball, until that happens FM will always take a back seat and that's coming from a football season ticket holder.
There's one database with all the greats, but it's a bit of a mess since they're all active at the same time. It's fun for about a minute. The reason they won't add historical is just silly.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #200
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

What reason did they give? I never saw it.