Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #21
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
comments like this really hurts the "there's too many injuries" argument. i dont even know what you mean by "too AI". Is it really so out of the realm of possibility that players break down late in the season?
I would like to know if there is a change in RL injury rate (ie "can't play injuries per man-game played) in September and through the playoffs. My perception is yes that in real life it seems lower. That's likely confirmation bias on me.

Put another way has a real life 90+ win team lost 4-6 starters ie a combination of rotation pitchers and starting batters all in September and/or Sept and the division series such that they bear no resemblance to the team that won 90+ games? I should do some research.

That happens in OOTP, both my team and AI teams. In defense of the game, I've played hundreds of seasons in several leagues so it could be a 1 in 10 or 20 30 40 season occurrence which creates the wrong perception.

Edit

The point I failed to make is that the way we play the game creates a likely false impression that thing either happen or don't happen at the correct rate.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 06-10-2017 at 01:50 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #22
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I would like to know if there is a change in RL injury rate (ie "can't play injuries per man-game played) in September and through the playoffs. My perception is yes that in real life it seems lower. That's likely confirmation bias on me.

Put another way has a real life 90+ win team lost 4-6 starters ie a combination of rotation pitchers and starting batters all in September and/or Sept and the division series such that they bear no resemblance to the team that won 90+ games? I should do some research.

That happens in OOTP, both my team and AI teams. In defense of the game, I've played hundreds of seasons in several leagues so it could be a 1 in 10 or 20 30 40 season occurrence which creates the wrong perception.
real life injury rates do in fact go down through the season. i was just commenting on the "i had 3 guys get injured in the playoffs, the ai hates me" post

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #23
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Injuries

I agree 1000% with OldFatGuy. I find it more realistic with all the minor day-to-day injuries that might linger for weeks. Makes me decide to DL or not and I find that challenging is a sick way. So I'm with OP. There are other ways to manipulate the injury occurances. Thanks for this BEAUTIFUL LADY y'all put out evey year
BB
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #24
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

I don't yet have OOTP 18, but in earlier versions the biggest problem with the injury model is that significant injuries only happen in-game and only happen one of three ways:

- Fielder injures himself making a play
- Batter injures himself on the basepaths or HBP
- Pitcher injures himself while pitching

This seemed to significantly skew who got injured, even if the overall injury rate was realistic. For example, catchers seemed to rarely be injured while any outfielder seemed doomed to become "wrecked" before his career was done.

Does the revamped injury model in OOTP 18 address any of this?
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 06-10-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #25
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
I don't yet have OOTP 18, but in earlier versions the biggest problem with the injury model is that significant injuries only happen in-game and only happen one of three ways:

- Fielder injures himself making a play
- Batter injures himself on the basepaths or HBP
- Pitcher injures himself while pitching

This seemed to significantly skew who got injured, even if the overall injury rate was realistic. For example, catchers seemed to rarely be injured while any outfielder seemed doomed to become "wrecked" before his career was done.

Does the revamped injury model in OOTP 18 address any of this?
In short, I think so, yes. Furthermore, aren't the three listed (other than off-field injuries) the most common methods of being injured?
Old 06-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #26
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
In short, I think so, yes. Furthermore, aren't the three listed (other than off-field injuries) the most common methods of being injured?
For the most part. The biggest thing missing IMO was the chance of injury to catchers on any random pitch, not just plays in the field.

But it seems to me like a lot of injuries in MLB are not necessarily ones that force a player to leave the game right away (even if they actually occur in-game), but rather become diagnosed between games and force a manager to make a sit/start decision. The emphasis in OOTP 18 on lingering injuries is promising.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:16 AM   #27
nebradska
Minors (Triple A)

Wear and tear injuries are the most common, but they don't get the attention of more dramatic causes nor do they typically result in protracted absences, though they can add up over a season/career (see: catchers).
nebradska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:04 AM   #28
Mat
All Star Reserve

plenty of decent names on this list too http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/injuries/mlb/all/
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:57 AM   #29
Hooray Saturday
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
plenty of decent names on this list too http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/injuries/mlb/all/
is that on Very High setting or OOTP classic?
Hooray Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #30
KJDelaney
All Star Reserve

My league is FILLED with year long injuries. It doesn't matter if you are durable or fragile. There are at least 17-20 4-5 Star players out for 4 to 11 months. I never thought baseball was a war of attrition the way football is.

The game is great but the amount of season long injuries to superstar players takes the fun out of it for me.
KJDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #31
sreem
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJDelaney View Post
My league is FILLED with year long injuries. It doesn't matter if you are durable or fragile. There are at least 17-20 4-5 Star players out for 4 to 11 months. I never thought baseball was a war of attrition the way football is.

The game is great but the amount of season long injuries to superstar players takes the fun out of it for me.
All you have to do then is adjust the injury frequency down.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #32
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofbrewtown View Post
While I agree that the "Normal" setting is likely correct/should not be changed, I think that one thing that could clear up a lot of these complaints is either reducing the number of injuries on the "Very Low" setting (by 1/3 to 1/2) or adding another setting. The difference from No injuries to "Very Low" is substantial.
My understanding is that "normal" is actually low and that if you want closest to real life then you choose "high". Am I mistaken?
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #33
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
My understanding is that "normal" is actually low and that if you want closest to real life then you choose "high". Am I mistaken?
No, you're not mistaken. After the last study vs OOTP that was done- believe in 17 -the menu was marked (Realistic) next to the selection.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #34
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post

Edit

The point I failed to make is that the way we play the game creates a likely false impression that thing either happen or don't happen at the correct rate.
I play on the "high" setting for the entire year except from Sept 1 until the end of the World Series. For that period I set it to low and that has at least given me the appearance of being more accurate to the perception that you and I hold about injury frequency during that period.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #35
drhay53
Major Leagues

If you don't like injuries, turn them down, or even off?

I play on high, by the way, and I greatly enjoy it.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote