Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:12 AM   #81
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
You can say that, but how do you know that? I understand certain things not being allowed, such as PEDs and certain news stories.
How do I know that? Common sense. A strong union like the MLBPA is not going to give its imprimatur to a product that has storylines where their members die.

Beside, you kinda answered your own question when you brought up the PEDs.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:40 AM   #82
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

I'm not trying to sound sadistic or anything, but I think player deaths would add a big challenge into the game just like CEI are, it's basically the same concept in all honest expect you know the CEI guy is alive

MILB and MLB players die all the time, Oscar Taveras is an example, he just died, out of the blue and was going into the prime of his career, you could argue that you could make an injury and call it "death" and have different news stories about it, like "So and so was involved in a major car accident. Then like 3 weeks later "so and so has tragically passed away today in ICU" it would be like a CEI, but in all honesty it's probably to much to have player mortality in this game, it just wouldn't feel right even though it's a part of life

This is a little P.S, I wish retired players who were 140 yrs+ could pass away, nothing serious, just make it like owners, because having a guy who is 156 kind of breaks the immersion by just a tad.

Plays legit baseball now. My OOTP ratings are low.

2022 update: I'm two stars!
TuckerDuckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #83
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
How do I know that? Common sense. A strong union like the MLBPA is not going to give its imprimatur to a product that has storylines where their members die.

Beside, you kinda answered your own question when you brought up the PEDs.
I don't understand your link between ped's and deaths, but anyway, I was referring to post career deaths. At the very least have the historical deaths. It's weird to see babe Ruth being 100 years old

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #84
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

If the union wasn't going to allow storylines where its members get caught using drugs, it's not going to allow storylines where its members die. There's the link.

You were referring to post-career deaths? That was completely unclear, given that others also thought you were referring to in-career deaths.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
Old 08-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #85
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Nobody needs an Oscar Taveras storyline in the game. The real world is sad and full of enough **** so that I don't need that in my game. Career-ending injuries are well enough (and do the same job!) ...

However, that 1909 Pitcher of the Year still going strong on his 130th birthday is completely silly, non-sensical, and should have been changed years and years and years ago. Whenever a former player hits - say - 65, the clock starts ticking and every day is a tiny, tiny, tiny chance that slowly grows that he drops dead. Spawn news article for Hall of Famers, and whoever won a meaningful award. Done. It would even ADD to the game, by - decades later - invoking one last time the cherished memories of those that played the game in years and eras long gone.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #86
Hooray Saturday
Minors (Triple A)

I currently have 11 baseball games installed on my computer. 16 if you count older versions of the same game. There's something to love about each one of them. But I spend at least twice as much time playing OOTP than I do the other 10 combined.
Hooray Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #87
Jeffy25
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
Even the "best seller" Baseball Mogul Is very basic
Mogul is actually how I found OOTP.

I used to like the ease that Mogul was. It was so easy to pick up and play. But in the end, that's just because it has so many less features.

I don't think I've bought Mogul in several years despite becoming friends with Dee and Clay.

OOTP is just so much more in depth and realistic.
Jeffy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #88
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm surprised that MLB lets the owners die and not just sell up.
Perhaps that's because team owners are as much corporations as they are individual persons.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #89
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Perhaps that's because team owners are as much corporations as they are individual persons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitt Romney
Corporations are people, my friend.
But seriously, wouldn't that just strengthen the argument for "sell only"?

SPTT team

Old 08-16-2016, 01:53 AM   #90
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But seriously, wouldn't that just strengthen the argument for "sell only"?
Club sales certainly could be added if there was the desire to. Sale prices could even be part of OOTP news articles, since, according to Forbes club valuation data, the sale price of a real-life club generally ranges from two to three times its revenue.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:15 AM   #91
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Nobody needs an Oscar Taveras storyline in the game. The real world is sad and full of enough **** so that I don't need that in my game. Career-ending injuries are well enough (and do the same job!) ...

However, that 1909 Pitcher of the Year still going strong on his 130th birthday is completely silly, non-sensical, and should have been changed years and years and years ago. Whenever a former player hits - say - 65, the clock starts ticking and every day is a tiny, tiny, tiny chance that slowly grows that he drops dead. Spawn news article for Hall of Famers, and whoever won a meaningful award. Done. It would even ADD to the game, by - decades later - invoking one last time the cherished memories of those that played the game in years and eras long gone.
Or, a comprise: OOTP could just stop keeping track of ages after a certain point. Say, 10+ years after retirement. You'd get a date of birth, but no other age information.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:29 AM   #92
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
Or, a comprise: OOTP could just stop keeping track of ages after a certain point. Say, 10+ years after retirement. You'd get a date of birth, but no other age information.
That's a good idea
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #93
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
Not only that, but it could take the age at retirement, or the age of the player's greatest season, and generate a "retired" facegen based on that, which could be used for Hall of Fame plaques, etc.

They're already tracking age at retirement and "best team," could "age at best season" be that much harder?

Make it so, OOTP!

SPTT team

Old 08-17-2016, 01:09 AM   #94
Hooray Saturday
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Not only that, but it could take the age at retirement, or the age of the player's greatest season, and generate a "retired" facegen based on that, which could be used for Hall of Fame plaques, etc.

They're already tracking age at retirement and "best team," could "age at best season" be that much harder?

Make it so, OOTP!
yes, agree strongly!
Hooray Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #95
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:

Make it so, OOTP!
This is a fantastic idea, one that is not merely encapsulated be a mere "thanks" for suggesting it. No More Zombie HOFers! This was the Carlton Fisk's HR of FaceGen suggestions.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #96
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
This is a fantastic idea, one that is not merely encapsulated be a mere "thanks" for suggesting it. No More Zombie HOFers! This was the Carlton Fisk's HR of FaceGen suggestions.
Thanks. Honestly, your words are very kind. I certainly appreciate it and don't wish to sound ungrateful.

But did you look at my username before you posted that analogy?

SPTT team

Old 08-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #97
Assos
All Star Starter

Old ballplayers never die, they just fade away!
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #98
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Thanks. Honestly, your words are very kind. I certainly appreciate it and don't wish to sound ungrateful.

But did you look at my username before you posted that analogy?
Yes, yes I did.

I figured that actually winning the World Series took away the sting a bit.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #99
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

I used to play Diamond Mind Baseball for years, but once OOTP came along that was the end of my DMB days.

The challenge and excitement of constructing and deconstructing a team as GM and manager with so much realism to the point where you can lose your job is something that no other baseball simulation whether it be a board game or computer game can offer.

IMHO, Diamond Mind started going downhill after Tom Tippett left the company to work for the Boston Red Sox. I used to love doing season replays back then, but got burned out on DMB not long after that and actually went back to Strat on the computer and board game. I still think Strat-O-Matic is the best baseball board game I've ever played. When I was younger I also played Statis-Pro Baseball which I enjoyed and APBA which is good although neither of them beats Strat.

I also tried playing Pursue The Pennant many years after I first saw the brochure and it's a good game, but I can see now why it didn't do as well as they would have liked it to: too advanced. Don't get me wrong, the developers did a fantastic job of making it as realistic as possible, but the board game was frustrating at times because most of the time consisted of looking at charts. A computer simulated game based on PTP called Dynasty League Baseball came out a few years later and it's good, but again, NOTHING beats OOTP.

If I could compare OOTP to any game, I'd say it's the baseball version of "Sim City". The same can be said for FHM as well.
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:43 PM   #100
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

+1

SPTT team