Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #621
gord
Major Leagues

According to its Wikipedia page, the city of Arlington owns Cowboys stadium. The fact that it doesn't have a corporate sponsor has nothing to do with its ownership situation.
gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #622
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
It seems like history, television contracts, and estimated merchandise revenue play a large part.
A quick rule-of-thumb to figure out the rough franchise value of an MLB club: take the most recent full season revenue figure and multiply by 2.5.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #623
Dutchy
Minors (Double A)

Location: The Hague (City of International Justice), The Netherlands.
Remember that Marberi was trying to prove that the New York Yankees were the most recognizable, popular and legendary club/franchise in the entire world. He hasn't proven that and I agree with what ecd1973 said.

The top European soccer teams and their stars are widely known throughout Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia and Oceania, South America and Central America. Ask a kid in Africa or anywhere in these regions (even in the poor villages) what is FC Barcelona and who is Lionel Messi and they all start cheering, ask them about the New York Yankees, Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez and this is what you'll get: .

If you'd like to continue any further on this topic or even merchandise and other financial stuff about the Yankees, you might want to do this somewhere else and I'll answer your "questions".

And my sincere apologies to all who feel that this has gotten a little out of hand; I've started getting a little annoyed by the (wrong) facts that Marberi presents to prove his "unbiased" opinion that the Yankees are indeed the biggest and the greatest in global (brand) awareness (= recognizability), popularity and legendary. I've got nothing against him personally though. He's probably a good guy but he just doesn't known what the proportions are when it comes to this. The facts the he presents just have nothing to do with his earlier statements because you cannot measure all of these three adjectives into money because when you take Africa for example it's clear that the market in terms of money is not so big but in terms of people it's just massive.

I have finished my essay.

Last edited by Dutchy; 07-13-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:30 AM   #624
Erad67
Minors (Single A)

To get a bit closer to the thread title "The only baseball sim I've ever gotten addicted to... ", I'd like to ask everyone a question.

How long have you been playing OOTP?

I've been playing it for about 10 years. My step-father discovered it and we spent many an evening playing the game together.
Erad67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #625
bosunmate
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erad67 View Post
To get a bit closer to the thread title "The only baseball sim I've ever gotten addicted to... ", I'd like to ask everyone a question.

I've been playing it for about 10 years. My step-father discovered it and we spent many an evening playing the game together.
I have been playing since Season Ticket which i think was 2003....
bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #626
sporr
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erad67 View Post

Since the beginning when it was on CD and was a DOS program.
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #627
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporr View Post
Since the beginning when it was on CD and was a DOS program.

DOS...... wow you're old lol
wonder how many even remeber DOS lol
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #628
Erad67
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
DOS...... wow you're old lol
wonder how many even remeber DOS lol
I remember DOS. Wasn't as long ago as you seem to think. Don't worry. Won`t be long before people say to you "wonder how many even remember Window 7".
Old 07-15-2011, 02:08 AM   #629
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
I know that merchandise of the New York Yankees: these are usually baseball caps and they are indeed widely sold throughout the world. But then ask the people wearing these baseball caps from Europe, Asia (except for Japan, South Korea and Taiwan), Australia and Oceania what that logo on their cap stands for and 9 out of 10 times they'll tell you: "I don't know, I just like the cap." This is from my own experience as I asked people if they knew what that baseball cap represented.

Soccer shirts on the other hand are sold throughout the world and are most of the time well-recognized. That's because soccer is by far the most popular sport on this planet.
Soccer is a sport? I always thought it was glorified kick-ball for grade-schoolers to play during PE
Old 07-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #630
Marberi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
Remember that Marberi was trying to prove that the New York Yankees were the most recognizable, popular and legendary club/franchise in the entire world. He hasn't proven that and I agree with what ecd1973 said...
Okay, I had already said I wouldn't derail this thread any further, but I certainly do feel compelled to reply to this "essay" of yours, Dutchy.

So the Yankees are not the most popular, wealthiest, legendary, successful sports franchise in the world. Alright, I admit it. So, what if they're not? The original topic was not the Yankees vs. all the soccer clubs you might want to mention. The original topic was that the Red Sox were better than the Yankees, which they are obviously not. A simple look at the AL standings through history will reveal that. Period. End of story.

So some little Argentinian hobbit who plays a sport I really despise halfway across the world is better known than A-Rod or Jeter? Yeah, that's right. So what? Messi, Kaká, Cristiano Ronaldo, Rooney, etc...all those soccer players are also better known than Pujols, Ichiro, Adrián González, Doc Halladay, et. al.

And that still doesn't make the Red Sox better than the Yankees lol...which, again, IDK about you, but that was the original topic of MY conversation.

So you became annoyed with the facts (right or wrong) presented by someone over the internet. Well, too bad, my friend...and that still doesn't make the Red Sox better than the Yankees So, you don't like the Yankees...well, that doesn't take away from the fact that they've won more league titles in their sport than any other sports franchise in the world. It is what it is.

Besides, I never said my opinions were "unbiased". Actually, I believe one look at my avatar should suffice for anyone to see which MLB club I root for lol! That makes it more than obvious that I could never speak ill of the Yankees, me thinks

That said, you are seriously mistaken, because again, my original topic was not whether the Yankees are a better product than say, the Brazilian soccer national team. My original topic was that the Red Sox are NOT better than the Yankees, as a product, a historical franchise, a successful club, a popular team across the globe, you name it. They are not.

You intervened in the topic, after I had called the Yankees the most popular, legendary, etc. club in the world tongue in cheek and clearly, misunderstood my words. No big deal, because I couldn't honestly say that I care one way or the other.

Seems to me that winning is important to you. So, I gladly concede victory to you, sir. You're absolutely correct. The Yankees are nothing next to Barcelona F.C. or Manchester Utd. But that still doesn't make the Red Sox better than the Yankees. Not in a million years.

Have a good one!
Marberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:47 AM   #631
rexis
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marberi View Post
So, you don't like the Yankees...well, that doesn't take away from the fact that they've won more league titles in their sport than any other sports franchise in the world. It is what it is.
Correction, Real Madrid have won 31 league championships so the Yankees have not won the most league championship in the WORLD.
rexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:51 AM   #632
hluraven
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexis View Post
Correction, Real Madrid have won 31 league championships so the Yankees have not won the most league championship in the WORLD.
In football (Soccer) Rangers in Scotland hold the world record with 54 national league titles, not sure if anyone has more in any other sport.
hluraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:11 AM   #633
rexis
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hluraven View Post
In football (Soccer) Rangers in Scotland hold the world record with 54 national league titles, not sure if anyone has more in any other sport.
Let's not count the century long two team title chase between Rangers and Celtic, it's not fair to any other sports club around the world.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 AM   #634
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Let's not count the century long two team title chase between Rangers and Celtic, it's not fair to any other sports club around the world.
Who cares about soccer? I sure as hell don't! This thread is about baseball.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:47 AM   #635
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner and Giants Fan View Post
Soccer is a sport? I always thought it was glorified kick-ball for grade-schoolers to play during PE
No, it should be related to swimming pools—because of all the diving soccer (football) players do.

Quote:
Perhaps we should factor in a rate amount, say, the average number of championships won per year, counting from the year in which a championship was first won by the club.

The Yankees won their first World Series title in 1923. The club has won 27 championships over the 88 seasons spanning 1923-2010. That's an average of one championship won every 3.26 years.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 07-16-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:32 AM   #636
Erad67
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Perhaps we should factor in a rate amount, say, the average number of championships won per year, counting from the year in which a championship was first won by the club.

The Yankees won their first World Series title in 1923. ....
Don't the Yankees have enough success without having to cherry pick their results? How about the 22 years of team history before that first championship?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #637
Monty
Bat Boy

I must preface this by saying I grew up in NYC and am huge Yankees fan. And I hate Curt Schilling as a player. I hate everything about him. To the way he talked. To his comments about the Yankees fans. Everything. And I carried that same hate of him over to his working at ESPN. But I must say this that after seeing this thread and Mr. Schilling actually posting....I still hate him as a player -- but I think he is one really cool guy as a person! Thanks for posting here. And I don't think you get enough credit for how good you were. You were dominant especially with the Phils. And in your career had 3 seasons of more than 300+ K's!!! That's sick. And another year with 293!

If I could, if you get a chance I would love for you to answer a couple of questions. Who was the top-5 hitters you ever faced? And the top-5 pitchers you ever saw when you played? And being a huge Derek Jeter fan, do you and players in the league believe he is as good as the media and fans make him out to be?

Lastly, I think your comments about your pitching coach Johnny Podres is spot on. And think it should be added to the game. Think Dave Duncan today. You see the work he has done with pitchers.

Wanted to thank you again, and I can't believe I am saying this. But I actually like Curt Schilling! Was a APBA fan as a kid as well and remember my dad (RIP) introducing me to the game and being addicted to it. I am 41.

Monty

PS
We got an opening in my league if your interested in joining?
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #638
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashantewarrier View Post
Who cares about soccer? I sure as hell don't! This thread is about baseball.
Soccer - association football - is played by over 250 million players in over 200 countries worldwide. It's the world's most popular sport. The most popular sport teams in the world are soccer teams. The most popular sports players in the world are soccer players. Compared to them, the Yankees are chump change.

We return you now to your regularly scheduled baseball discussion.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #639
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hluraven View Post
No one has. Rangers F.C. holds the unquestioned world record with 54 national championships.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #640
rexis
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post

The Yankees won their first World Series title in 1923. The club has won 27 championships over the 88 seasons spanning 1923-2010. That's an average of one championship won every 3.26 years.
Real Madrid won their first champiosnhip in 1931, but let's not deviate from the topic (baseball).