Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 01-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
Richard Stallworth
Bat Boy

Historical League not working...Help

Hi,
I am new to the game and I am having problems. I have been trying to play historical leagues and fictional historical leagues. I hope that I'm making mistakes and that it is not the game.
I tried to start playing the AL from the beginning in 1900. I followed the prompts in the League Wizard and ended up with teams like the Boston Poodles and the Detroit Terror. When I tried the Fictional Historical setting and used the historical team name feature I got Washington 1900 and Chicago 1900.
I have read the parts of the Online Manual about league creation. This sounds like a really cool game, but so far I haven't been able to make it work. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Richard Stallworth
Richard Stallworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stallworth View Post
Hi,
I am new to the game and I am having problems. I have been trying to play historical leagues and fictional historical leagues. I hope that I'm making mistakes and that it is not the game.
I tried to start playing the AL from the beginning in 1900. I followed the prompts in the League Wizard and ended up with teams like the Boston Poodles and the Detroit Terror. When I tried the Fictional Historical setting and used the historical team name feature I got Washington 1900 and Chicago 1900.
I have read the parts of the Online Manual about league creation. This sounds like a really cool game, but so far I haven't been able to make it work. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Richard Stallworth
Welcome to the ootp family.
The team name problems are because MLB asked us not to use them..it's an easy fix though...send me a PM and I'll give it to you...this no longer affects future versions of ootp as we are now licensed by MLB.
One other thing that users say works is to hit "Randomize Team Names" exactly 3 times and that gives the real team names..
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hi,
Richard Stallworth

My bad, Big Rod already answered your question.

Last edited by David Watts; 01-26-2015 at 03:51 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #4
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hi,
I tried to start playing the AL from the beginning in 1900.
Could it be that the problem is that the AL wasn't a major league until 1901?
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
Richard Stallworth
Bat Boy

Thanks!!!! The tapping the Randomize button worked. Maybe I should start in 1901.
However...In 1901 the Milwaukee Brewers were in Milwaukee, then in 1902 they were moved to St.Louis. Can I keep the proto-Brew Crew in Milwaukee and start another team in St.Louis? Would I need an expansion draft to create a new Browns
team???
Richard Stallworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks!!!! The tapping the Randomize button worked. Maybe I should start in 1901.
However...In 1901 the Milwaukee Brewers were in Milwaukee, then in 1902 they were moved to St.Louis. Can I keep the proto-Brew Crew in Milwaukee and start another team in St.Louis? Would I need an expansion draft to create a new Browns
team???
Sure. Just remember that, if you're using historical players, there may not be a lot of talent available for an expansion team (actually, two expansion teams, since 9-team leagues don't work very well).
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
team???
Turn off the league evolution otherwise after you play the 1902 season St Louis Browns will show up. Turn off automatically expand league under Historical. This will mess up future expansion however, meaning you will have to expand the league manually.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
Anthropoid
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Ah glad I found this thread

If I can, I want to start in 1901 in a fairly minor team (as a 16 year old GM) and over the next 50 or 60 years, make them the juggernaut of American Baseball !

Not really much of a baseball fan though it is a good game. First sports sim ever. I've played historical strategy war games for literally decades. A buddy was commenting on what a good -strategy- game OOTP was, and I had to give it a try.

ADDIT: If I want a "realistic" degree of minor league and international players to be available for recruitment, should I select all of the minor leagues?

Last edited by Anthropoid; 02-24-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Anthropoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:23 PM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropoid View Post

ADDIT: If I want a "realistic" degree of minor league and international players to be available for recruitment, should I select all of the minor leagues?
Others might chime in with more info, all I have to say is you wont have enough players in 1901 to fill anything behind AAA for a historical league. Fictional different story.

"Stay Strong"

Old 02-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #10
Anthropoid
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yeah I think I got the fictional characters turned on.

As I said, not a lot of experience as a sports fan, and virtually none as a sports sim player.

But I am an AMERICAN! so naturally I have baseball in my genetic code. Most of the terminology I can intuit my way through, but then I encounter some strange cryptic things like, in the player strategy screens:
"Hook as Starter: Quick <-----> Slow"

Is there an easy resource in game or on the web to help quickly understand the meaning of these sorts of terms? The Help menu doesn't seem that helfpful really, and the links for tutorial videos go to a variety of versions of the game.

Is there a OOTP wiki or something where all the terms and abbreviations in the game are defined? That would be the best from my perspective.
Anthropoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #11
txranger
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...pmods-com.html

txranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropoid View Post
Yeah I think I got the fictional characters turned on.

As I said, not a lot of experience as a sports fan, and virtually none as a sports sim player.

But I am an AMERICAN! so naturally I have baseball in my genetic code. Most of the terminology I can intuit my way through, but then I encounter some strange cryptic things like, in the player strategy screens:
"Hook as Starter: Quick <-----> Slow"

Is there an easy resource in game or on the web to help quickly understand the meaning of these sorts of terms? The Help menu doesn't seem that helfpful really, and the links for tutorial videos go to a variety of versions of the game.

Is there a OOTP wiki or something where all the terms and abbreviations in the game are defined? That would be the best from my perspective.
This should also help
Out of the Park Baseball Manual

"Stay Strong"