Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The DH~A new twist

I just saw a deal on twitter, I think it was Jayson Stark's idea.

The idea is this: Teams would be able to use a DH(both AL and NL)to start each game. So basically both leagues would start using the AL's rules. Each team could use a DH as long as their starting pitcher remains in the game. But, once they remove their starting pitcher, the team would then have to finish the game according to the current NL rules. Interesting.

On a side note, do you think the powers that be are just trying to come up with thing that will drive Markus batpoop crazy trying to program?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
With the numbers of RP each team carries we would still never see pitchers hit.
At this point might as well just go for the DH in AL form.

If you like seeing one spot in the lineup have a .490 OPS over 700 PA for an entire season then your a sick person beyond any form of help.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 01-10-2020 at 06:52 PM.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
With the numbers of RP each team carries we would still never see pitchers hit.
At this point might as well just go for the DH in AL form.

If like seeing one spot in the lineup have a .490 OPS over 700 PA for an entire season then your a sick person beyond any form of help.

Yeh, I always run full DH in every game of OOTP play (even historical)
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post

The idea is this: Teams would be able to use a DH(both AL and NL)to start each game. So basically both leagues would start using the AL's rules. Each team could use a DH as long as their starting pitcher remains in the game. But, once they remove their starting pitcher, the team would then have to finish the game according to the current NL rules. Interesting.

On a side note, do you think the powers that be are just trying to come up with thing that will drive Markus batpoop crazy trying to program?
I get the perspective that many have about wanting to see mashers hit instead of inept pitchers. I, however, prefer the strategy involved with the pitcher's spot in the lineup. Although that was much more of an issue when good starters routinely pitched into the late innings (as opposed to the parade of relievers we now see coming out of the bullpen beginning in the 4th or 5th inning).

At any rate, after all these years of essentially the status quo, I'm inclined - if it were up to me - to leave things as they are. That said, I do find the idea interesting and would not be opposed to it. I would think it would greatly curb the use of "openers" to start games. And that, IMO, would be a good thing.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #5
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Interesting compromise. I wonder what would be the affect in hitter's parks like Coors. Where a 6 run lead in the 4th isn't safe.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

No DH! Ever! Over my dead body!

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:10 PM   #7
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Two hundred years from now when there are entirely separate offensive and defensive players, NFL style, some wise person will point to the DH as the Gateway Drug that started it all.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:12 PM   #8
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

What is the goal of this?
Old 01-11-2020, 09:11 AM   #9
kq76
Global Moderator

The idea has been around for at least 10 years (Tango wrote about it in 2010), but probably much longer. I'm a fan of it as you can see from my sig, but I think that, with how the game is going with openers, that the one and done DH is more likely what we'll see the DH evolve into.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #10
CBeisbol
Banned

I hate the DH
But, it's time.

For a change at least

Most players who are pitchers just don't practice hitting enough before they get to MLB to be MLB quality hitters. Or, there just aren't enough players who are both good enough to be MLB quality hitters and MLB quality pitchers.

But, I do like more strategy in the game. And, yes, having pitchers hit does lead to the manager having to make more strategic choices (hopefully OOTP players won't respond with "DoUbLe SwItChEs". Also, Venn diagram: people who say pitchers hitting doesn't add strategy and people who complain when a pitcher "who's dealing" is pinch hit for in a close game).

I don't think the answer is any of these one-and-done or DH for the starter options. Though, I'm sure the challenge-flag-for-replay league will choose something like that.

Maybe the answer is just to do away with the pitcher hitting all together. An eight man lineup. Yeah, threes and nines. But, without a pitcher in the lineup there's no reason for a DH.

But I think it's keep, and expand, the DH. Keep the threes and nines and just be cool with saying that it's not necessary for all players to he both good enough at helping the team score runs and helping the team prevent runs. Which should help hasten the arrival of BradK's league.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #11
kq76
Global Moderator

I'm surprised, the twitter feed for Jayson's tweet is actually pretty positive towards the idea. Usually when this is brought up (not just here) I'd say about 85% is to keep things the way they are or get rid of the DH altogether, but in his feed I'd say it looks to be the opposite, 85% in favour of it. There's even a number of people saying they hate the DH, but that they'd be open to this. I don't know if people just really ike Stark so they're positive him or the mood towards the idea really is changing, but it's great to see either way!
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:52 PM   #12
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

I've never been a fan of the DH but I also think they should either get rid of it entirely or have both leagues use it.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #13
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Real simple. The AL didn't adopt the DH because its pitchers were inferior hitters. It adopted it because its offensive players were inferior.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #14
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
I'm surprised, the twitter feed for Jayson's tweet is actually pretty positive towards the idea. Usually when this is brought up (not just here) I'd say about 85% is to keep things the way they are or get rid of the DH altogether, but in his feed I'd say it looks to be the opposite, 85% in favour of it. There's even a number of people saying they hate the DH, but that they'd be open to this. I don't know if people just really ike Stark so they're positive him or the mood towards the idea really is changing, but it's great to see either way!
The positive reaction to Starks' idea may not have as much to do with the DH as it has to do with fans' feelings towards the current use of pitching staffs, and the thinking is that Starks' idea would lead to longer use of starters, and therefore fewer relievers. Maybe... I dunno...
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #15
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

If MBL really wanted to see fewer relievers it wouldn't have increased the roster size to 26.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:21 AM   #16
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
The positive reaction to Starks' idea may not have as much to do with the DH as it has to do with fans' feelings towards the current use of pitching staffs, and the thinking is that Starks' idea would lead to longer use of starters, and therefore fewer relievers. Maybe... I dunno...
Hadn't ever really thought of it that way,
Close and late game.
Starter tiring
Heavy-hitting DH up next inning.
The manager would prefer to take his pitcher out, but doesn't want to lose the bat.

A slight bit of intrigue

But, I'm weird, I like substitutions. Playing OOTP (or other baseball sims) with a DH is kinda boring. As a fan, it doesn't really make THAT much difference to me when watching a game. I do, though, like the extra level of strategerie that needs to be accounted for when discussing removing a pitcher for a hitter or reliever.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:50 AM   #17
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Hadn't ever really thought of it that way,
Close and late game.
Starter tiring
Heavy-hitting DH up next inning.
The manager would prefer to take his pitcher out, but doesn't want to lose the bat.

A slight bit of intrigue

But, I'm weird, I like substitutions. Playing OOTP (or other baseball sims) with a DH is kinda boring. As a fan, it doesn't really make THAT much difference to me when watching a game. I do, though, like the extra level of strategerie that needs to be accounted for when discussing removing a pitcher for a hitter or reliever.

Like we never had that before the DH did we.