Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
Ragin Cajun
All Star Starter

Stats Only: Tips and Help needed (Badly)

So I've been playing off and on since OOTP6...but just got into my first stats only league.

Holy cow what a nightmare.

So, I need some tips on how to approach the game from this aspect. How to best determine players for drafting (mainly) as I guess it's "Stats Only" when evaluating who to call up, who to start, trading for players.

How accurate are the scouting reports for stats only (no coaches or scouts in game).

Anything would be a help at this point.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

I'm in a League online that only show's potential not current, but that's about as far into that realm I've driven. I think The Wolf is one of the resident experts on Stats Only leagues, maybe he'll chime in
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #3
Ragin Cajun
All Star Starter

Just a slight bump, still searching for some input. 49 views nobody has anything? :-(

(and this was NOT an April Fool post..lol, I really need some direction)
Old 04-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
sprague
All Star Starter

Just do a forum search for stats only. There were a couple of threads up here from the last year on just that. They should come up on the search- reading through those should likely get you answers to most questions on it you have.
cheers\
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
It's really pretty simple; you just judge players the way you judge real players. By their stats. What was Tony Gwynn's Contact rating? I have no idea, but I bet it was pretty high since he hit well over .300 every year. What is Aroldis Chapman's Stuff rating? Dunno, but I know it is better than just about anybody else's.

Drafting is not difficult. The only thing that puts a little twist in it is the competition rating. Experience is the best teacher.

P.S. Contrary to what you may think, having feeder leagues does not make drafting easier. The stats the game generates for draftees are much more reliable than what you will get from feeder leagues, whose numbers are generated purely from Actual ratings, rather than Potential ratings. And at that stage of a player's career in OOTP, his actual ratings have very little to tell you about his potential.

Last edited by Questdog; 04-14-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:22 AM   #6
sherdil
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
So I've been playing off and on since OOTP6...but just got into my first stats only league.

Holy cow what a nightmare.

So, I need some tips on how to approach the game from this aspect. How to best determine players for drafting (mainly) as I guess it's "Stats Only" when evaluating who to call up, who to start, trading for players.

How accurate are the scouting reports for stats only (no coaches or scouts in game).

Anything would be a help at this point.
When you play Stats Only, you use:
1. The Stats for Current Ability
2. Scouting Reports for Potential Ability

The accuracy of the Scouting Report depends on your settings and the skill of your Scout.

Also, it is highly recommended to have feeder leagues (another topic altogether) for the draft pool.

Now, as an example, a 22 yr old College SS who has consistently improved his Stats every year (ie. OPS) and whose scouting report says: "Future Hall of Fame, or Impact Potential at Bat etc" will be a pretty decent pick most of the time. No guarantees but that's what you look for.

Alternatively, if you don't want to click every single player to check his scouting report, you can enable view of Potential (like Stars) and see at quick glance the Scouting Report in terms of Stars.

Let me know if you have more questions.
sherdil is offline   Reply With Quote