Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

Diagnosed with Retirement

This off-season I got a pop up message saying "Johnny Harris has been diagnosed with Retirement".

I imagine him in the doctor's office:

"Johnny, your test results are back and I'm afraid I have some bad news"
"What is it doc?"
"You have a bad case of retirement. It will be a career-ending condition in this case"

Dang. Johnny was still the ace of the staff and has a good case for being the best pitcher ever. He had won the Cy Young award the last four years and 12 times total. Yes, he was 38 years old, but still showed as durable and had never once been on the IL. He had just set the league record for wins with 436 and given his durability, I thought he might have a shot at 500.

It's a shame to see him suddenly come down with this retirement bug. Although I do understand, since I do have a case of that myself. Unfortunately, mine hasn't been career-ending yet...
Attached Images
Image Image 
Cobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
diesel230
All Star Reserve

I got the same pop up message with A-rod after a strong 2017 season in which he had a 2.6 WAR in 119 Games.

I had never seen a retirement like that in the game.

Looking at Johnny Harris career innings and Arods at bats, 11100, i wonder if it was a forced retirement due to an issue with OOTP being able to only go so high in certain columns.
diesel230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
12 months, I wonder if its not a permanent retirement and he will come back?
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
12 months, I wonder if its not a permanent retirement and he will come back?
Hey, maybe you're right. It'll be interesting to see if decides to come back next year.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
diesel230
All Star Reserve

My league started in 2015. I am in 2021 now. If i remember correctly from Arods doctor diagnosed retirement, his injury status was screwy due to it. I just went into Arod editor and his "Career ending injury" box is clicked. Other players who retired in game retired normally and their CEI is not checked. I'm curious now as to why the odd type of sudden "retirement" for 2 "legendary" players with high career stat totals.

I find it odd that Harris retired with 5555.2 Career innings pitched and ARod had 11100 career at bats.

I know the game can only handle so many numbers.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #6
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobby View Post
Hey, maybe you're right. It'll be interesting to see if decides to come back next year.
Nope. He stayed retired. That would be fun though if a player would occasionally try to come out of retirement.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel230 View Post
My league started in 2015. I am in 2021 now. If i remember correctly from Arods doctor diagnosed retirement, his injury status was screwy due to it. I just went into Arod editor and his "Career ending injury" box is clicked. Other players who retired in game retired normally and their CEI is not checked. I'm curious now as to why the odd type of sudden "retirement" for 2 "legendary" players with high career stat totals.

I find it odd that Harris retired with 5555.2 Career innings pitched and ARod had 11100 career at bats.

I know the game can only handle so many numbers.
I have players with more than 5555.2 innings (and more than 11100 ABs) so I don't think that's it. I just checked Harris and his CEI box is not checked. It's oh so tempting to un-retire him myself. But. I shall resist...
Old 09-01-2019, 10:02 PM   #8
rocknfire7
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobby View Post
I have players with more than 5555.2 innings (and more than 11100 ABs) so I don't think that's it. I just checked Harris and his CEI box is not checked. It's oh so tempting to un-retire him myself. But. I shall resist...

Why not do both? You could back up your game, then unretire him and see what happens. Then go back to the original.
rocknfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #9
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknfire7 View Post
Why not do both? You could back up your game, then unretire him and see what happens. Then go back to the original.
OK, you talked me in to it....
Old 09-02-2019, 06:04 AM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

There should have been news messages with this. What did it say?

I'm guessing that this may have been a storyline-related retirement, hence the somewhat weird description (if whoever wrote it coded it as both an injury and a retirement).
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #11
neugey
All Star Reserve

Considering Andrew Luck, I think this is becoming a more popular diagnosis

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post

I'm guessing that this may have been a storyline-related retirement, hence the somewhat weird description (if whoever wrote it coded it as both an injury and a retirement).
I don't have the message any more since I only save messages for a year.

But aside from the pop up window, I just got the standard "player decided to retire" message. No storyline-like message was included. However, it was definitely a storyline-related retirement.

The "Returned from retirement" was me as commish un-retiring him.
Attached Images
Old 09-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #13
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

Ah, OK. I found it under the "news involving player" tab. But I did *not* get this in my news feed. (I checked carefully at the time). I have "BNN news stories" unchecked though, so maybe it that's why it didn't show up.
Attached Images
Old 09-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #14
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Maybe he was Jason Witten 2.0

He wanted to try broadcasting and they brought him in for some test runs and found out that he was awful.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the problem with guaranteed money?
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #16
diesel230
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post

Mine is from memory but like Cobbys it was a pop up message, unlike any other time a player on my team retired. Nor was it listed it the normal November 1st and 2nd transactions or News stories. Looking at his history Arod retired 11/25 the day he became a free agent.

But like i mentioned, his CEI IS clicked.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:54 AM   #17
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

So, here's how it worked out:

1940: Harris wins yet another "best pitcher award". Ho-hum, only the 12th one. He gets "diagnosed with retirement" and moves to the broadcast booth. Wins: 23, total 436

1941: Harris is terrible as a broadcaster and is beside himself as he watches his former team lose the world series in 6 games. He thinks he could have made the difference. He decides to come out of retirement. Wins 0, total 436

1942: Harris wins 23 games as part of the legendary 1942 Nationals. The team went 122-32, best record of all time. Harris picks up his 11th championship ring. Wins 23, total 469

1943: Harris is 40 years old and is finally beginning to fade. He's charitably slotted in as the 5th starter and goes 14-8, but his ERA is above the league average for the first time in his career. He loses his one world series start, but the picks up his 12th ring. Wins 14, total 473

1944: The Nationals have a strong rotation and inform Harris that they won't be able to use him in the rotation this year. They give him the choice of working out of the bullpen or accepting a trade. He opts for the trade and starts 27 games for the Reds. He goes 12-10 but his 4.33 ERA is the highest of his career. Wins 12, total 485.

1945: Harris is 42 and is out of gas. He decides to retire - for real this time. Career wins: 485. It becomes one of the classic baseball what-ifs: he won 23 games in both 1940 and 1942. If he had matched that total in 1941 he would have ended his career with 508 wins. Still, winning 485 in an era of 5-man rotations was a remarkable accomplishment...
Attached Images
Old 09-06-2019, 04:48 AM   #18
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Amazing career, but yeah, I bet that's one of the biggest "what-ifs" out there - would he have made 500?
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote