Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Online Leagues > Fictional / Other Leagues

Old 05-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
coljesep
All Star Reserve

Virtual Baseball League - Worth Your Bookmark

I wanted to share with you information about the VBL. In the near future we will convert to OOTP XX, and with new versions - you never know what the future holds. Some day, we may even expand!

The VBL as it's known today has been around since real time 2012, and we are in our 16th season. However, prior to that - I ran the VBL3 which was operated with Front Page Sports Baseball. That league lasted real-time 2002-2012, and the only reason it ended was OOTP's superiority to a very old product in FPS.

Many players only play offline, and I think if you have ever considered online play - VBL is the place for you. If you have been an online player before, I hope many of the items I cover below are answers to why maybe you haven't enjoyed it as much in the past - or maybe this is the style of league you have been looking for.

When people are looking for a quality online league, what are you looking for?

Consistency with sims?

I have not stopped simming games since I was a Sophomore in college. I am now 37, wife, kids, job - all the things. Sometimes you might hear about a commissioner simming for a long time, but it usually is followed by them running 3, 4 leagues over that time. The VBL was my first OOTP run league and hasn't stopped since.

If I cannot meet a deadline, you'll know about it well before that deadline is missed. A 7pm est deadline, means you can expect a sim to start between 7-8 pm but closer to 7. You'll never have a moment where you wonder "why was there no sim yesterday?"

I take missing sims seriously - inconsistent sims are the #1 killer for any league. My owners know when to expect a sim because I stick to the schedule - and if there is a reason I can't, I adjust ahead of time. (IE we are not simming on Mother's Day, so I moved the sim to Saturday with everybody having 48+ hours notice).

Your job is to manage your team, my job is to manage the league. If I don't do my job - I cannot expect you to do yours.

Active Group of owners:

I fully admit, I cannot play OOTP offline. I get more enjoyment out of the game when I compete and challenge other humans over time. We have 28 teams, and have an export rate of over 70% for the season. I do not punish or reward teams for exports - so the fact we have such a high rate speaks to the interest and desire teams have to constantly check and make adjustments.

We do have a reward system that is based on Press Release style e-mail writing. We supply teams with templates if they need one, but it's not needed. These keep teams and myself informed on what is going on within your organization.

We are a community of owners, not just a bunch of usernames. We have people in the league that have formed friendships, been at one another's weddings, and even helped one another with employment.

Slack & Live Sims:

We have a slack channel where GM's can communicate with one another, but we have the integrated slack with Stats+ and have live sims every night. You can watch as your team plays every night if you wish, or just hang out in the channel and chat with fellow owners about what is going on in the league.

Not too fast, Not too slow:

We sim three virtual days per regular season sim - and we sim 4 times a week. It's spaced out enough so that if real life does get in the way of your hobby, you will be able to rebound quickly.

Our season takes about 4 real months to complete.

Our off-season takes almost exactly two real months. During that time we have free agency, international free agency, as well as our amateur draft.

We don't rush the off-season because of it's importance but also, I think that is what keeps our owner turnover much lower - it gives GM's a chance to evaluate and also work to improve.

So quick math, we are getting two full seasons done per calendar year.

Commissioner does NOT own a team:

This is a rule that has never been altered in my 17 years of running my league. I have never owned a team, and never will. I believe this sets us apart from so many leagues out there. My role is to run an effective and enjoyable league. That's my VBL championship I strive for.

League Website:

So if you like what you hear, give us a bookmark - keep an eye on us, or even reach out today and jump on the wait list. Thanks for reading!

https://thevbl.org/
2032 & 2040 World Champion
https://baseball-stars.com/

Last edited by coljesep; 05-10-2019 at 10:24 AM. Reason: format