Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
bestbrother
Major Leagues

Players only getting 1 year deals (fictional)

How do I get my teams in a fictional league to sign players for more than one season?

Id say at least 95% of players in my league live off 1 year deals that they extend each year... but in the bulk of cases will see them sign for another team, so its rare for me to have players who forge a career at one team.

Alongside that some of the players make weird financial decisions, often dropping $100,000's in salary during peak years and coming off a good season.

There must be some financial setting im missing. All my teams make a profit and are in a very healthy situation.

All help appreciated.
bestbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Is it possible that the 'reserve clause' option has become checked inadvertently? Give that a look under the financials tab in the game settings. Look for the Financial & Free Agency Settings section. Make sure the box is unchecked. You might be able to only do that in the preseason though.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
bestbrother
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTeams View Post
Is it possible that the 'reserve clause' option has become checked inadvertently? Give that a look under the financials tab in the game settings. Look for the Financial & Free Agency Settings section. Make sure the box is unchecked. You might be able to only do that in the preseason though.
Is there another name for reserve clause as I cant find it at all on the financial screen?
Old 04-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #4
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbrother View Post
Is there another name for reserve clause as I cant find it at all on the financial screen?
I think its hidden if you've already started your season, bestbrother. The reserve clause check box should show up again when you enter the preseason. At least, that's the way it was in OOTP19.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
DCG12
All Star Starter

Location: Traveling through another dimension-not one of only sight and sound,but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundries are those of imagination.
Should be visible and clickable even during season. The enable financial system button right above it is greyed out during the season but not reserve clause. See screenshot
Attached Images
DCG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

give it a few years before drawing conclusions.

seed players and their contracts aren't exactly how things will be later... so, it takes a bit to reach a normal equillibrium on the contracts, as well as league talent levels.

this is one (two, i guess) of the reasons some of us pre-date any fictional league and zoom out 20-30 years to fully turn over league, or mostly turn it over. even ~15 will do a significant majority. i usually do this the night before or start it up in morning before i leave. specify date and let it run. since it always finishes before i get back, i just play it safe and do ~30 years.

you can erase history/stats, delete retired players, or even purge database to truly 'reset' it.

this also lets you start at any point in offseason, if you want. i don't control a team before this, so that it doesn't interrupt the sim. i also turn off a lot of asthetic stuff to speed up the sim, but if you run it while you sleep or at work, it's going to finish before you get home in most cases.

you get more robust FA market too. if you want to use static league modifiers, or simply fiddle with them less, this is the best way to start, hands-down.

oh, obviously can't do this with "challenge mode" leagues and the other online stuff, if into that e-peen gratification kidding.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #7
bestbrother
Major Leagues

Cheers all,

Looks like ive got that unticked, but im intrigued that I can reset the whole league and startover as such.

My sim has me upto 2034, so 15 years... I think ive changed something where by players just dont get long deals.

Having a good look its as if players get a 1 year deal, that auto renews for 4 years on the same money. After that, every player then signs 1 year contracts for the rest of their career.... some stick it out at the same team, some hop around.

I dont really get it tbh
Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #8
BoofBonser26
Major Leagues

Check and see if you accidentally have the max contract/extension length at 1 year (happened to me once, actually!) and double-check how many years service time players need for arbitration. Though I can't imagine how it would get set up if you didn't want it to, it sounds like you have a system where players reach free agency after 4 years with no arbitration and a 1-year max on extensions.
BoofBonser26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbrother View Post
Cheers all,

Looks like ive got that unticked, but im intrigued that I can reset the whole league and startover as such.

My sim has me upto 2034, so 15 years... I think ive changed something where by players just dont get long deals.

Having a good look its as if players get a 1 year deal, that auto renews for 4 years on the same money. After that, every player then signs 1 year contracts for the rest of their career.... some stick it out at the same team, some hop around.

I dont really get it tbh
well, 15 years is plenty to discount what i said. unless you allow 15 year long contracts. the seed players still exist to some extent, though, as far as talent levels shifting a bit, still.

reducing from default 10year max may help. if teams are less straddled with long, expensive contracts, they'll be more efficient and less restricted. i like to drop it to 7 years max.

it's early in the release, yet. if they see more of these types of threads they'll look into it. if something is out of proportion, they'll likely catch it and adjust at some point.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:59 AM   #10
bestbrother
Major Leagues

Here is a screen of my finance setup in the league. Im thinking just by going from a previous post that turning off arbitration has caused this issue?
Attached Images
Old 04-16-2019, 05:05 AM   #11
bestbrother
Major Leagues

Here is an example of how all the teams look in terms of their roster/salary breakdown.

Its as if players get a certain length of deal (their first deal) that auto renews, then after that, its pot luck where they sign, just one year at a time.
Attached Images
Old 04-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

maybe you have too few years on club control? that's the only thing different from default that i think would possibly have this effect. or, if you have the max contract length too low -- that is not in the screenshot.

if you change it.. zoom out +1 yeaer of longest current contract allowed... that will ensure all contracts in league are 'refreshed' under the new rules.

i'd look into anything you changed from default and see if that is a cuase - 1 by 1.

any other posts in forums about this? (rhetorical) if isolated, it's almost assuredly your changes that are the cause.

edit: revenue? is there enough? if teams are strapped for cash, and all players' demands have to drop until very late in FA period, then that could be a cause too... they'd be settling for 1 year deals at a very late date.

this is almost certainly related to customization. you may need to adjust something to make it work without 1-year contracts being so prevalent.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-16-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #13
bestbrother
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
maybe you have too few years on club control? that's the only thing different from default that i think would possibly have this effect. or, if you have the max contract length too low -- that is not in the screenshot.

if you change it.. zoom out +1 yeaer of longest current contract allowed... that will ensure all contracts in league are 'refreshed' under the new rules.

i'd look into anything you changed from default and see if that is a cuase - 1 by 1.

any other posts in forums about this? (rhetorical) if isolated, it's almost assuredly your changes that are the cause.

edit: revenue? is there enough? if teams are strapped for cash, and all players' demands have to drop until very late in FA period, then that could be a cause too... they'd be settling for 1 year deals at a very late date.

this is almost certainly related to customization. you may need to adjust something to make it work without 1-year contracts being so prevalent.
Yeah im pretty certain ive done something wrong, im not overly au fait with all the baseball financial rules/contracts, so have sort of gambled by mixing things up from default in the hope to get something different to the current day MLB.

Financially all clubs are making money... too much for my liking, id like the odd team to run at a loss now and then due to bad seasons, but so far over the 15 years all teams are bringing in +3-4m over and above their expenses.

Ive got max contract years set to 4 and contract extensions allowed? Maybe i should go with longer max contracts?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

try one thing at a time, if oyu want to keep as much as possible. if it doesn't have an effect, revert and try something else.

i bet it's the max contract and extension length, but could be wrong. i can tell you that i don't see this with it reduced to 7 from 10. i've never tried 4. i reduce club control by 1 year, also, not quite as much as you have.

also, it's early in process, so who knows if this is something that will be tweaked over the next few patches.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-16-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:59 AM   #15
bestbrother
Major Leagues

Yeah ill start again with the default 10 years and see what happens with that.

Thanks for your input
Old 04-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #16
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

You'll also want to double check your salary cap settings and things like max cash, etc.

I saw something kinda similar in a league where in playing around with the cap settings, teams had too much salary leeway and I had some outrageously high multi-year deals. So, I scaled the cap and thresholds back to close to the current model, and lowered the max cash number.

This produced more than a few teams with serious cap problems causing quite a few to become non-existent players in the FA market. The result of all this is that some of the very top FA's demanded salaries/years which were just unfeasible under the new financials. And for 3 or 4 for seasons, many of these players ended up on one year deals signed after the end of Spring Training. I looked at it as a market correction, which it was, that eventually worked itself out.

Not exactly the same as you describe here, but there are some similarities.
t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote