Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 02-04-2015, 04:56 AM   #1
BTerran
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Trends and how it relates to Ratings

This is something that's been on my mind for years now with regards to text-based sports sim games and maybe this is already a thing or at least something that's commonly discussed. Sorry if that's the case, but if it isn't, then I'd be interested to hear what others think of this idea.

To me, an issue with most sports sim games is there's not a lot of motivation to attempt to do things like shake up the lines in response to a prolonged slump or fire a coach to reignite a struggling team. The reason for this, in my mind, is because ultimately the players are just avatars for ratings and a player with superior ratings is always your best option. I realize because players are rated in a lot of different categories, so it's not actually that black and white, but I'm generalizing to get to my point quicker.

In real life each players emotions, confidence, and perhaps relationship with the coach plays a role in his performance on a day-to-day basis. And I don't see why those can't be quantified as well. The difference between those ratings and all the others is that they would be far more fluid, so a forward that has a two-goal game would see a boost in his confidence and that would be calculated as a general modifier to his ratings, which makes it more likely that he will continue to do well. Conversely, if he struggles, it will diminish his confidence and it could have a snowballing effect. That could be counteracted by shaking up the lines, putting him with players that are performing well in the hopes that he'll have a better game and start to turn things around. That gives you cause to change the lines on a more frequent basis or even demote certain players that are chronically underperforming (in the hopes of them reigniting their game at a lower level or at very least cutting your losses).

The players relations with the coach could play a role in that too as a good rating there could soften the confidence drops, etc. However, losing would have an adverse effect on most players' relationship with their coach, so if a team starts to struggle, it could get to the point where you have to switch coaches because the players are no longer responding to him.

These statistics could also be age based. A young players confidence will swing more wildly and his relationship with the coach will have a more profound effect, while an older player will be less prone to swings in both regards.

To me something like that would create a more authentic experience and encourage the user to make day-to-day considerations than he otherwise might.

I realize what I'm suggesting is likely more of a long-term idea rather than something for the upcoming game, but I'm interested to hear if people think it's a good idea in the first place.
BTerran is offline   Reply With Quote