Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
DaximusPrimus
Major Leagues

Preseason and Waivers

I was just wondering if the FHM 2015 will have pre-season games as well as no waivers for pre-season. In the real NHL during pre-season you can have any size roster so long as they are signed by your team which FHM14 has, but players still need to clear waivers to be sent down during this period whereas in the real NHL waivers do not need to be cleared during this period. I ask about pre-season games as it would be nice to see what your prospects can do without having to keep them for regular season games. Sorry if this has already been addressed.

I'm also having some trouble with a drafted player not being able to be sent back to juniors even though they are 18 years of age. It will not allow me to send him down and of course he's not 20 so I cannot put him in the AHL. Is there any way around this?

Edit: Nevermind the last paragraph after I played my first regular season game the option to send the player back to juniors was available, still wondering about the preseason games though.

Last edited by DaximusPrimus; 01-10-2015 at 01:09 PM.
DaximusPrimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
Holden Caulfield
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaximusPrimus View Post
I was just wondering if the FHM 2015 will have pre-season games as well as no waivers for pre-season. In the real NHL during pre-season you can have any size roster so long as they are signed by your team which FHM14 has, but players still need to clear waivers to be sent down during this period whereas in the real NHL waivers do not need to be cleared during this period. I ask about pre-season games as it would be nice to see what your prospects can do without having to keep them for regular season games. Sorry if this has already been addressed.

I'm also having some trouble with a drafted player not being able to be sent back to juniors even though they are 18 years of age. It will not allow me to send him down and of course he's not 20 so I cannot put him in the AHL. Is there any way around this?

Edit: Nevermind the last paragraph after I played my first regular season game the option to send the player back to juniors was available, still wondering about the preseason games though.
This is completely false. Waivers need to be cleared at all times. There is no period that waivers do not apply.

In the real NHL at the end of every season all signed players are put back on "NHL roster". You are unable to place a player on waivers until 12 days before the NHL season starts. Therefore for all players requiring waivers you cannot remove them from the NHL roster until that time. Once that has occured (which is during camp) you must place the player on waivers to be sent to AHL (if they are waiver eligible). That ensures that every player that is waiver eligible must clear waivers at the start of every season to go to AHL. Unlike in FHM where you can "hide" a player in minors by never recalling him before camp.

Here is the relevant CBA clauses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL CBA
13.1 A Club shall not dispose of the services of any Player in which it has a proprietary
interest by Loan to a club of another league without first having complied with the provisions of
this Article. The Waivers that are recognized by this Agreement are Regular Waivers and
Unconditional Waivers.
13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the
start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season.
Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a
club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere
expressly prohibited:
(a) Regular Waivers were requested and cleared during the Playing Season Waiver
Period; and
(b) the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since
Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days cumulative on an NHL
roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared.
Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
Garethw87

Quote:

Features will be announced closer to release time. You are best to keep a check on the Update Thread.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:20 AM   #4
DaximusPrimus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
This is completely false. Waivers need to be cleared at all times. There is no period that waivers do not apply.

In the real NHL at the end of every season all signed players are put back on "NHL roster". You are unable to place a player on waivers until 12 days before the NHL season starts. Therefore for all players requiring waivers you cannot remove them from the NHL roster until that time. Once that has occured (which is during camp) you must place the player on waivers to be sent to AHL (if they are waiver eligible). That ensures that every player that is waiver eligible must clear waivers at the start of every season to go to AHL. Unlike in FHM where you can "hide" a player in minors by never recalling him before camp.

Here is the relevant CBA clauses.
Don't waivers not kick in until a few days before the season begins? Of which the pre-season is not part of at which time you can have up to 50 players on your" active roster", and like usual only 20 dressed players. My thoughts on this was any player at this point in time can be considered on a teams 'active roster" until which point they must be sent down before waivers kick in. I don't know if you've ever played the EA NHL games but they have this feature implemented. This is the reason we see many AHL players playing pre-season NHL games and not getting claimed when sent down to the AHL, sort of like a try-out. Pretty much every sport that uses waivers has this.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Quote:
Don't waivers not kick in until a few days before the season begins? Of which the pre-season is not part of at which time you can have up to 50 players on your" active roster", and like usual only 20 dressed players. My thoughts on this was any player at this point in time can be considered on a teams 'active roster" until which point they must be sent down before waivers kick in. I don't know if you've ever played the EA NHL games but they have this feature implemented. This is the reason we see many AHL players playing pre-season NHL games and not getting claimed when sent down to the AHL, sort of like a try-out. Pretty much every sport that uses waivers has this.
Think this was changed in most recent CBA. You have a certain amount of years where young guys can be sent down bfore their eligibility for waivers kicks in. That's all. Canucks sent J. Markstrom down early in PS this year and he had to clear waivers.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
DaximusPrimus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37 View Post
Think this was changed in most recent CBA. You have a certain amount of years where young guys can be sent down bfore their eligibility for waivers kicks in. That's all. Canucks sent J. Markstrom down early in PS this year and he had to clear waivers.
That makes sense if it is recent to this season as I have not purchased NHL 15. All I know is in NHL 14, in the preseason you can call up and send down whomever you want until the day waivers kick in, which it warns you off multiple times. It's typically a week or so before the actual season starts, it allows you to test out some youngsters and some of your weaker players to see who is getting some points, allows you to line juggle a bit to and see what fits best.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:39 AM   #7
Holden Caulfield
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
NHL games are complete junk. They constantly make things up with regards to the rules. It all wrong, base nothing on them.

All signed players go to NHL roster at the start of every camp. That's why you see "AHL" players playing in pre-season. If a player requires waivers (critieria of which is based on age and experience, younger players on ELC generally don't require waivers) they must clear waivers before going to AHL. There is NO period where you can freely move waiver eligible players back and forth from NHL to AHL. Waivers do only kick in 12 days before the start of the season, but if a player requires waivers you cannot remove him from your roster until waivers start.

Think about it logically. If you could freely move players down before the waiver period every team would simply finalize their roster before that date and no one would ever appear on waivers. It would completely defeat the purpose of waivers and they'd be removed from the CBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37 View Post
This has not been changed. NHL games made things up completely which has unfortunately confused a great many people. Waivers has always worked this way.

I can get all the CBA quotes from the 2013 and 2005 CBA if you like.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield; 01-28-2015 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Dont 1 way contracts only require waivers?

MLB Ballpark Ads

My uniform templates!
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #9
DaximusPrimus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
There is NO period where you can freely move waiver eligible players back and forth from NHL to AHL. Waivers do only kick in 12 days before the start of the season, but if a player requires waivers you cannot remove him from your roster until waivers start.
My next question would be if players always have to clear waivers after camp what is the point of having them only kick in 12 days before the start of the season? Wouldn't they just always be in use?
Old 01-29-2015, 12:34 AM   #10
moore4807
All Star Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
My next question would be if players always have to clear waivers after camp what is the point of having them only kick in 12 days before the start of the season? Wouldn't they just always be in use?
Daximus Primus,
Here is a good article from The Hockey Writers explaining the ins and outs of waivers. This is from 2011 and the new CBA probably does have some changes but they should be minor. Its a good read for the general terms and exemptions you seem to be looking for.
NHL Waiver Rules
moore4807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:52 AM   #11
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8 View Post
Dont 1 way contracts only require waivers?
1, 2 and 3-way contracts have no bearing whatsoever on waiver status.

All they mean is that:

1-way: Player makes the same salary no matter where he plays

2-way: Player makes 1 amount in the NHL, another in any level of minors. All Entry Level Contracts are 2-way, which usually causes waiver/contract confusion. It is very rare a player on an ELC is waiver eligible.

3-way: Rare contracts that pay 1 level for NHL, another for AHL and a 3rd for lower minors. Only a player on an ELC may be sent to the ECHL without his consent. Once they are on a second (or subsequent) contract, the player needs to consent to an ECHL assignment.

Waiver eligibility is only based on age and number of games played. There are different qualifications for skaters and goaltenders. Once a player crosses a threshold of games played at an age (there are multiple charts in the CBA that detail these), he becomes waiver eligible.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #12
Holden Caulfield
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Just so it's clear, not all players have to clear waivers. Just those that meet the waiver criteria which is found in the article moore4807 posted. Of note, the only major change from 2011 when that article was posted is that re-entry waivers no longer exist.

I have no inside knowledge of why.

My speculation would be so that other teams have the chance to see their own players and the waived player in the other teams camp before waivers. That way they know they will be able to use the player they are acquiring. If you are not sure what your roster will look like you probably won't want to claim someone.