Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 04-13-2014, 03:14 AM   #1
BlockRocker
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Extensions vs Free Agent Money Available

I am 3 seasons into a Flames rebuild. The game ran fairly well until this season when I tried to resign some players and I had run over my "free agent budget". These were current players on my team and they should be coming off my "player extension budget" (which is $66 mil in the green). So it dawned on me that all of my contract extensions have been budgeted under my free agent cash, and now I am unable to sign any current or new players. Essentially breaking my game!
Anyone else have this problem. A bug perhaps? Or am I just signing my players the wrong way?

EDIT: I should clarify the problem is with signing draftees. Not current players (although there are issues with signing some of them too). Sorry.

Last edited by BlockRocker; 04-13-2014 at 03:24 AM.
BlockRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
BlockRocker
Minors (Rookie Ball)

So I just got to July 1 2016 and my budgets are toast. I can't sign free agents and can't sign draftees. My free agent money is 21 million in the red?! In three seasons with the flames I have signed MAYBE 2 f.a. and claimed 2 players off waivers. Other than that, just drafting and signing my kids and trying to keep my core together. My extensions cash is 55 million in the green. My team budget is #1 @ 99mil and the team payroll is at 8th @ 66 mil. I can't make sense of any of this. Please tell me what I am doing wrong?.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockRocker View Post
So I just got to July 1 2016 and my budgets are toast. I can't sign free agents and can't sign draftees. My free agent money is 21 million in the red?! In three seasons with the flames I have signed MAYBE 2 f.a. and claimed 2 players off waivers. Other than that, just drafting and signing my kids and trying to keep my core together. My extensions cash is 55 million in the green. My team budget is #1 @ 99mil and the team payroll is at 8th @ 66 mil. I can't make sense of any of this. Please tell me what I am doing wrong?.
Thanks in advance.
There must be a bug in the financial area atm - i already informed Seb about this as it´s also heavily glitched in the historical mode - every $$ you spend, no matter on what, strains your budget and it never gets down again.
If your budget is negative it will never get positive again - i tried it once by trading away the 10 most expensive players on my roster and the budget numbers/balance didn´t change at all.
All in all Sebastian is aware of this and hopefully hotfixes it soon

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Last edited by Duranium; 04-14-2014 at 03:17 AM.
Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
BlockRocker
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Great response. Thanks brother!!
Old 04-14-2014, 01:31 AM   #5
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

This post just beat me to the punch. It is clear to me that there are a few problems in the HM budgetary calculations. This is a real bummer as I'm not four seasons into a nice game and I fear it is for naught.

I have a few theories as to what is going on, but without seeing how the program calculates the budgets I can't be sure. Something is definitely off, however. Is there anything that we can do to help? I've been trying to track my own experiences and I am pretty good at figuring out where budgetary calculations have gone haywire, so if I can lend a hand I will. I really like this game and would like to contribute in some small way....
Old 04-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
edtheguy
Minors (Single A)

I had a historical game that had to be ditched after three years because of a broken budget.

I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but once I started watching it seemed that every extension I offered during the season stayed forever as an 'offered contract' remaining even after the player signed and carrying into all future seasons. Eventually the total of these 'offered contracts' reached the point that they wiped the total budget. At least that's what seemed to be happening, but without further research there's no way to be sure, and I don't have as much time to play as I would like....

It's good to hear that they are already aware of the problem, I'm just volunteering my experience in case the extra information helps to diagnose, this is a good game that will be well worth it once it's de-bugged.
edtheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtheguy View Post
I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but once I started watching it seemed that every extension I offered during the season stayed forever as an 'offered contract' remaining even after the player signed and carrying into all future seasons......
to the point - exactly that is the problem

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 04-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
BlockRocker
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I am glad to hear this isn't just an isolated problem. Now if we can only get it fixed. ;-)
I have had to ditch my Flames game and will not start a new one until I know this problem has been addressed......hopefully soon.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockRocker View Post
I am glad to hear this isn't just an isolated problem. Now if we can only get it fixed. ;-)
I have had to ditch my Flames game and will not start a new one until I know this problem has been addressed......hopefully soon.
I finished season 2 with my Whalers today and the budget bug together with the glitch on FA´s - some FA´s are impossible to resign, traded for Trottier and the first thing he told me was he´s not interested in negotiations and he´s one of many in all games i played- unfortunately makes the historical mode not enjoyable at all right now.
I hope Seb is able to hotfix again, if not i´d have to wait until fall when the new version comes out. Anyway, have to take it as it comes

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 04-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

I don't know if this helps but I have noticed that when a player is traded the money (value of his contract) does travel with him. I know it is supposed to do that, but it seems like if the contract stayed on the books indefinitely then it might stay on even after trade.

I've also noticed that some contracts show up as an average on the roster screen and as the actual pay per year on the salary obligations screen. This may be nothing as the info. would be valuable in the salary cap era, but in the HM it makes less sense.

As near as I can tell I think the problem may be that there isn't actually a YEARLY budget in the game. I think the budget you're given is never properly replenish so it ends up being a LIFETIME budget supplemented, perhaps, but small increases in the yearly budget. I'm thinking like this example:

Budget Year 1: $60mil
Budget Year 2 : Supposed to be $62 million but you only get $2million plus whatever wasn't spent the first year.
Budget Year 3: Supposed to be $64 million but you only get another $2 mil plus whatever is left from the first two years of spending.
Budget Year 4: You're likely broke.... log onto OOTP forum, complain, start new game.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
glb2687
Minors (Single A)

Free Agent / Extensions Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
I finished season 2 with my Whalers today and the budget bug together with the glitch on FA´s - some FA´s are impossible to resign, traded for Trottier and the first thing he told me was he´s not interested in negotiations and he´s one of many in all games i played- unfortunately makes the historical mode not enjoyable at all right now.
I hope Seb is able to hotfix again, if not i´d have to wait until fall when the new version comes out. Anyway, have to take it as it comes
Hopefully they can since it is hard to compete with teams when you can't sign anybody. Have to make sure you give extensions to keep playing and hope most do not decide to file as FA otherwise not enough players to continue. Fingers crossed!
glb2687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

FYI, I have found it is technically possible to continue, at least in HM for awhile. I'm in year 5 of a game and I've simply started to ignore the warnings that I'm broke.

Here's what you do: when the game tells you that you cannot afford this player or that, just click okay and offer the contract anyway, BUT, most of the money in the contract has to be after the first year. No matter who you are signing it will make you pay them the MIN the first year. After that you can pay them the moon and get away with it, at least for awhile. Think of it like you're a really bad GM back loading all of his contracts.... not a stretch for me.

Hopefully this will buy you some time to play until a hotfix arrives....

BTW, I am also having trouble getting players to resign when they cut off negotiations. This happens a LOT. Good news is that the PC teams can resign them often and they still retain value. So when this happens I would trade their rights to accumulate more assets. One thing I have noticed about negotiating is that after a few years do NOT push in the negotiations. You may save a few dollars but it may be a year or more before the player is willing to sign again, or never. It isn't worth it if you really want the player. If not then push away!

One last note: I rarely have players become outright FAs (I can't think of an example at the moment but there must be one). Anyone else finding that?
Old 04-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
Duranium
All Star Starter

yeah, you can move around the budget minus by back-loading the contract (signed Stastny for $500.000 / $4.5mil / $4.5mil) , the total just has to closely approach what the player is initially looking for.
Nevertheless the issue should be fixed - I´m at -35mil now and rising - This despite being close to 18mil with salaries below my allowed budget

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 04-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Riders1
Bat Boy

I am below the salary floor but when I try signing any free agents its says I have no room in the budget. I tried trading for more salary but I can't move to the next day. Any idea what I can do or is my game toast?
Riders1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #15
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Perhaps if you go to commissioner mode and edit a player to put yourself above the floor?? Its not the most desirable work around but...

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #16
kelt
Minors (Rookie Ball)

There is workaround:
1.Download and install ArtMoney (or CheatEngine, or anything similar)
2.In FHM go to "Team menu" --> "Finances".
3.You need a value listed under "Available funds calculation" --> "Offered contracts". Write it down.
4.Search memory for "offered contracts" value using ArtMoney.
5.Edit the value to "0" (zero).
6.Enjoy your money back.
kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #17
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelt View Post
There is workaround:
3.You need a value listed under "Available funds calculation" --> "Offered contracts". Write it down.
6.Enjoy your money back.
This is intriguing. Is it possible to get a deeper view of the accounting mechanisms? I'm super curious as to where the accounting is breaking down and want to look.

Regardless, this sounds like a neat quick fix until the next patch. There any downsides? Do I have to sell my soul to get a copy? (It's okay, I've already pawned my soul off a few times--one more time couldn't hurt.)
Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #18
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
There is workaround:
6.Enjoy your money back.

thxalot dude.....this makes it really, really much more enjoyable to play until the next hotfix/patch hits the streets

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #19
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
There is workaround:
6.Enjoy your money back.
Okay, it's me again.... I downloaded the program and I'm lost. I haven't used a hex editor in many years (I think it was a hex editor...) so I'm not even sure which file to edit. I poked around the FHM folders and there is surprising little there. Are the files somewhere else? I've seen games put their save files in odd places, but I've had no luck....

EDIT: Is it possible to edit the owners' patience level with a hex editor? Is that info accessible? I flipped thru all the owners in HM in 1980 and found ALL had low patience. I think this explain why they are always to quick to pull the trigger on firing GMs. It is like every owner has the patience of George Steinbrenner.... yikes! I'd like to mix it up and even change it every X number of years to reflect new owners, etc.

Last edited by AEWHistory; 04-22-2014 at 06:45 PM.
AEWHistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #20
kelt
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEWHistory View Post
Okay, it's me again.... I downloaded the program and I'm lost. I haven't used a hex editor in many years (I think it was a hex editor...) so I'm not even sure which file to edit. I poked around the FHM folders and there is surprising little there. Are the files somewhere else? I've seen games put their save files in odd places, but I've had no luck....

EDIT: Is it possible to edit the owners' patience level with a hex editor? Is that info accessible? I flipped thru all the owners in HM in 1980 and found ALL had low patience. I think this explain why they are always to quick to pull the trigger on firing GMs. It is like every owner has the patience of George Steinbrenner.... yikes! I'd like to mix it up and even change it every X number of years to reflect new owners, etc.
sorry, i'm too lazy to explain
kelt is offline   Reply With Quote