Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 AM   #1
tiebo
Bat Boy

In-game injury and line-ups

I know the match engine is being rebuild for the next big patch, but just noticed one annoyance in the current version.

When a player of yours get injured during a game, first of all you don't get any message or play stopping/pausing for it. Second, whole line-up setup is messed all over upon an injury. I guess once an injury happens, line-ups are re-formed by AI which it nothing like I want them to be.

So what I would like to see in the new match engine: when a player is injured, the simming is paused and the line-up screen displayed automatically. Line-ups shouldn't be touched by AI unless told so. So the player has an option to fill up the injured player's spot manually. This is just like it works on Football Manager for example.
tiebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:14 AM   #2
pens66
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiebo View Post
I know the match engine is being rebuild for the next big patch, but just noticed one annoyance in the current version.

When a player of yours get injured during a game, first of all you don't get any message or play stopping/pausing for it. Second, whole line-up setup is messed all over upon an injury. I guess once an injury happens, line-ups are re-formed by AI which it nothing like I want them to be.

So what I would like to see in the new match engine: when a player is injured, the simming is paused and the line-up screen displayed automatically. Line-ups shouldn't be touched by AI unless told so. So the player has an option to fill up the injured player's spot manually. This is just like it works on Football Manager for example.
You are right, it is very annoying.
But actually, the engine simply can't handle incomplete lines. That means that a line, which has a player injured during a game simply won't be used anymore. This has to get fixed in the match engine patch.
pens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiebo View Post

Yes, a much needed PRIORITY fix.

It also annoys me that there's never any mention of a penalty in the pbp, another much needed fix.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Jaurxe
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yeah, I'm very glad they're redoing the match engine because it's frankly a mess. I am admittedly spoiled from EHM 2007's incredible match engine.
Jaurxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

There just needs to be more information during the game, period. The penalty thing is annoying. But if there's a power play it shows up on the scoreboard, and you can hit pause and go to the report and see what the penalty was, so it's just annoying, not a major problem. The injury thing is two major problems -- one, you don't know somebody got hurt and is unavailable, two, it renders other players unavailable, which isn't realistic.

I miss the 2D engine from EHM (which, to be fair, only got really GOOD in the very last patch before SI discontinued the game). But I understand that FHM isn't going to have something like that for a while, and I understand why.

In the interim, what's needed is a) knowing where the puck is and b) getting some kind of feel for what your players are doing or not doing. Seeing after the game that your star d-man blocked four shots is a poor substitute for being told four times during the game that he blocked a shot. Ditto with hits, giveaways, passes that set up scoring chances, all of the other events. Without this type of information in-game, the games are boring and immersion suffers because the individual players don't come alive as characters in the fantasy.

I hope this post doesn't come off as harsh, because I think the game is improving and I have a decent level of faith that it's going to get really good. I've played the 2013 iPad version of OOTP and that game passes the tests I'm talking about here with text commentary. Yes, baseball is easier than hockey, but there's a lot of progress being made in the last two FHM patches. If we get a match engine with the ice-zone animation Sebastian has described and also get more detail in the text commentary, I think this thing will have turned the corner.

Last edited by old fat bald guy; 03-17-2014 at 03:35 PM.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote