Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
wolfslice
Minors (Single A)

"Years" should be by season + number.

IMO.

It's like 2026 already and it kind of just feels like the devs made an arbitrary decision on making the season distinction by year, for a game that is perpetually ongoing like this. It only affects the few of us (or maybe JUST me) that kind of like to pretend our team is real, and not the other 95% of you who post on the forums agreeing with every decision the devs implemented from the get-go.

By about 2040 I'll have to start pretending my team is playing in a dystopian "1984" situation. By 2200, they'll be playing in the ruins of a nuclear fallout. All of that is fun and all, but I'd rather just have 2018 players playing in 2018, from a roleplaying perspective.

Suspected response from the 95%: "but you can play with old players from old generations." Counter: adding a player from the past is a lot different than having never aging players actively playing for 1000 years. I like to pretend the old timers are just coming up today.

I would propose the seasons be named OOTP19 Season 1, 2, 3 etc.

Last edited by wolfslice; 01-23-2019 at 07:34 PM.
wolfslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfslice View Post
IMO.

It's like 2026 already and it kind of just feels like the devs made an arbitrary decision on making the season distinction by year, for a game that is perpetually ongoing like this. It only affects the few of us (or maybe JUST me) that kind of like to pretend our team is real, and not the other 95% of you who post on the forums agreeing with every decision the devs implemented from the get-go.

Suspected response from the 95%: "but you can play with old players." Counter: adding a player from the past is a lot different than having never aging players actively playing for 1000 years. I like to pretend the old timers are just coming up today.

I would propose the seasons be named OOTP19 Season 1, 2, 3 etc.
Not sure I'm following....wouldn't real years add to the immersion more than.....year 1, year 2, year 3....etc etc?
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
wolfslice
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Not sure I'm following....wouldn't real years add to the immersion more than.....year 1, year 2, year 3....etc etc?
I added a little more to my post just before you replied, might help clarify.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
I added a little more to my post just before you replied, might help clarify.

Wouldn't the same thing happen when it's "Year 50, Year 51, Year 52"?

To be honest, either way works for me.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
wolfslice
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Wouldn't the same thing happen when it's "Year 50, Year 51, Year 52"?

To be honest, either way works for me.
It's really just an aesthetic. I actually recommend specifically "OOTP19 Season 1, OOTP19 Season 2" etc. That OOTP19 keeps it grounded in well... 2019 ;p
Old 01-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #6
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It only affects the few of us (or maybe JUST me) that kind of like to pretend our team is real, and not the other 95% of you who post on the forums agreeing with every decision the devs implemented from the get-go.
I stopped reading here.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #7
bailey
Hall Of Famer

My favorite starting year is 2001, so you can tell at a glance the season number.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
wolfslice
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I stopped reading here.
exactly. I mean even if you hadn't, there is zero doubt in my mind what you would have said. Of all people here, I've seen enough Orcin posts to posts to deduce certain things.

Last edited by wolfslice; 01-23-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #9
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

I always play historical/older dates in my solo leagues (typically start in 1871 and slowly move up from there, even if it's not a historical replay league)... so...

alternate suggestion:

since each version of the game is a brand new PT universe with players from the entire history of the game; why not use a year around the birth of the game as the starting point.... say 1871 like you can do in the solo game already.... and just count up from there.

or if that's too far back, maybe what's considered the start of the 'modern' game and use 1901... we'll get 4 years per month, so 48 years before the next version of the game comes out which would put us around 1949-1950 after a year of play.... we'd be at the current date after 2+ years
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #10
wolfslice
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
I always play historical/older dates in my solo leagues (typically start in 1871 and slowly move up from there, even if it's not a historical replay league)... so...

alternate suggestion:

since each version of the game is a brand new PT universe with players from the entire history of the game; why not use a year around the birth of the game as the starting point.... say 1871 like you can do in the solo game already.... and just count up from there.

or if that's too far back, maybe what's considered the start of the 'modern' game and use 1901... we'll get 4 years per month, so 48 years before the next version of the game comes out which would put us around 1949-1950 after a year of play.... we'd be at the current date after 2+ years
I think that's a really cool idea
Old 01-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #11
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Life is good if this is our biggest complaint. Lol...😁
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:30 PM   #12
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
IMO.

. It only affects the few of us (or maybe JUST me) that kind of like to pretend our team is real, and not the other 95% of you who post on the forums agreeing with every decision the devs implemented from the get-go.
Real like Koufax pitching against Koufax who has Mays fly out to Mays? This is a game dude, There is nothing real about it. Lol.....😁
Old 01-23-2019, 08:36 PM   #13
wolfslice
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Real like Koufax pitching against Koufax who has Mays fly out to Mays? This is a game dude, There is nothing real about it. Lol.....😁

Quote:
Suspected response from the 95%: "but you can play with old players from old generations." Counter: adding a player from the past is a lot different than having never aging players actively playing for 1000 years. I like to pretend the old timers are just coming up today.
I just like to roleplay it a bit more and if the season names would help that, then that's what I'm gonna suggest No hard feelings, but pretending our team is real is kind of the point of fantasy baseball to an extent.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #14
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i just like to roleplay it a bit more and if the season names would help that, then that's what i'm gonna suggest no hard feelings, but pretending our team is real is kind of the point of fantasy baseball to an extent.
👍
Old 01-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #15
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Personally, I do not care how the leagues are numbered. As long as I win, I am happy!

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #16
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

I like Roman numerals!

I was P405's champ in year MDCXXXIV baby!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #17
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I like Roman numerals!

They would have to make a separate smart league for that. 😁
Old 01-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #18
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushiel View Post
personally, i do not care how the leagues are numbered. As long as i win, i am happy!
👍
Old 01-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #19
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I like Roman numerals!

1634? I thought Cooperstown's claim to baseball history was dubious enough, but now we have to go all the way back to Jamestown?
Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threnodas View Post
1634? I thought Cooperstown's claim to baseball history was dubious enough, but now we have to go all the way back to Jamestown?
Was that what that was? (Not so easy to say) You would need at least a Masters for that League.😜