Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Logos, Graphics, and HTML

Old 08-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
tklem321
Minors (Triple A)

Tyler Rodgers and SportsLogos.net -- images

I'm currently designing uniforms for a series of teams that use the logos and wordmarks of designer Tyler Rodgers on Sportslogos.net. I'd love to be able to post these when they're done but it doesn't seem like I should without permissions from the logo/wordmark designer.

Does anyone know Mr. Rodgers or have any idea on his views about people using his work (fully credited to him, of course)?

I have seen some comments on the Sportslogos.net forums from people who were very angry about their work being used without their permission (with or without credit) for fantasy league teams and such. I have no desire to post uniforms/teams incorporating someone's work if they would be unhappy about it.
tklem321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:54 AM   #2
Clemente21PIT
Major Leagues

I think SportsLogos has a private messaging feature or he may have an email in his profile. I'd suggest you either PM him or send him an email with your request and then hope he replies.
Clemente21PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
ultimoastros
Minors (Single A)

I just checked out his logos/uniforms. Hope you get permission to use them. Good stuff that i'd definately use!
ultimoastros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
tklem321
Minors (Triple A)

I have PM'd him on Sportslogos.net. We'll see what he says, if he responds at all.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Those guys are funny about seeing their work over here. Asking was definitely the right way to go.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
Those guys are funny about seeing their work over here.
Nah, not really. There are some extremely talented individuals who do professional quality work. It's understandable that they would like to retain recognition for their efforts. The amount of sharing that happens in this community is commendable, but the credit can easily get lost. People can be sensitive to plagiarism. As you said, asking first is absolutely the right thing to do.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
kjb023
Major Leagues

Some cool stuff over there in his thread, I'd love to see them in OOTP.
kjb023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
tklem321
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhomess View Post
Nah, not really. There are some extremely talented individuals who do professional quality work. It's understandable that they would like to retain recognition for their efforts. The amount of sharing that happens in this community is commendable, but the credit can easily get lost. People can be sensitive to plagiarism. As you said, asking first is absolutely the right thing to do.
It's certainly understandable that they would get angry if someone used their work without being credited or, even worse, if someone tried to pawn the work off as their own and got paid for it.

However, there's also a bit of realism to consider. If I set a wad of $20 bills out in public and someone takes it, I can be angry about having been stolen from. But I shouldn't be surprised. Anyone who posts their digital work online and thinks they still have complete control over it is naive.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklem321 View Post
However, there's also a bit of realism to consider. If I set a wad of $20 bills out in public and someone takes it, I can be angry about having been stolen from. But I shouldn't be surprised. Anyone who posts their digital work online and thinks they still have complete control over it is naive.
I agree it's akin to someone leaving valuables in an open convertible or on their cube desk in an office. It's not quite the same as them having dropped it on the sidewalk and forgotten about it. You can see that it belongs to someone in particular. Your last sentence may not be wrong but it doesn't make the behavior right.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhomess View Post
I agree it's akin to someone leaving valuables in an open convertible or on their cube desk in an office. It's not quite the same as them having dropped it on the sidewalk and forgotten about it. You can see that it belongs to someone in particular. Your last sentence may not be wrong but it doesn't make the behavior right.
Very true. Heck I've had trouble teaching my adult children that it's not alright to take my Bose portable to a friends cottage just because I'm not using it."Don't take something that's not yours" seems really simple to understand.

Asking permission and not assuming yes is a good way to start.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
tklem321
Minors (Triple A)

I agree that it's morally unacceptable to steal someone's work. But it shouldn't come as a surprise when it's done. We all know what the internet is like.

Well, it's been two days now and, although Sportslogos shows him having been on the site, he has yet to even read my message. Ah well...
Old 08-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #12
kjb023
Major Leagues

Bummer
kjb023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #13
Pwal
All Star Starter

Quote:
I agree that it's morally unacceptable to steal someone's work. But it shouldn't come as a surprise when it's done. We all know what the internet is like.

Well, it's been two days now and, although Sportslogos shows him having been on the site, he has yet to even read my message. Ah well...
I know how you feel. I reached out to 3 persons on Sportslogos to port their work to OOTP. David Miller et Daniel Saline were kind enough to give me their permission, but the third one never even replied to my PMs. Miller and Saline were very happy to see their work "come to life" in OOTP, so I really don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to allow something like this, but you have to respect their decision, no matter what it is.

I hope you'll have an answer soon. Good luck!
Pwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #14
ultimoastros
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwal View Post
I know how you feel. I reached out to 3 persons on Sportslogos to port their work to OOTP. David Miller et Daniel Saline were kind enough to give me their permission, but the third one never even replied to my PMs. Miller and Saline were very happy to see their work "come to life" in OOTP, so I really don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to allow something like this, but you have to respect their decision, no matter what it is.

I hope you'll have an answer soon. Good luck!
And I've used many of the logos and jerseys that you made of his work. Thanks! I would think most people would as you said want to see their work "come to life" but oh well I guess some just arent interested. Its a shame because there are many talented jersey makers here on these forums. Thanks to all of them for making our OOTP experience that much better.
ultimoastros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #15
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

The thing I find disingenuous about it is sports logos are copyright and trademark protected so really, even what they're doing isn't "legal." I think permission is fine and surely if someone does work, they ought to get credit, but when no money changes hands and ESPECIALLY in an opportunity to bring the work to life, seems...strange that people would oppose it.

But then, I'm not surprised.

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 08-29-2017 at 04:12 PM.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #16
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

I ran into this when I asked somebody if they could do the WBC-style uniforms for non-existent WBC teams (outside of the WBCQ). I think it was Pwal that told me that SportsLogos posters monitor this board and have ragefits if their work is posted here.

Its kinda why we rarely see their work posted here.
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #17
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Where can we view his stuff easily?
Old 09-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #18
tklem321
Minors (Triple A)

No where that I know of now. It looks like most of his posts on Sportslogos.net were wiped out by the great Photobucket massacre of 2017.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

Quote:
No where that I know of now. It looks like most of his posts on Sportslogos.net were wiped out by the great Photobucket massacre of 2017.
That is an incorrect assessment. The links are still there by viewing the page source. That's how I found his PhotoBucket account.

PB didn't delete anything. They simply disabled the "hot-linking" ability.

You can view his Photobucket here.

Last edited by ArcAngel; 09-01-2017 at 05:56 PM.
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #20
txranger
Hall Of Famer

There is nothing there when you click on your link, just a blank page...

txranger is offline   Reply With Quote