Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #21
DJgreen_72
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_bask View Post
Monopoly of the market... but for the greater good.

Always exciting when the best go against the best.

Sounds like an entertaining universe, best of luck with it.

Thanks...so far my first round of WBO champions include:

HW - Tim Witherspoon (set to defend vs Larry Holmes, who actually survived vs Tyson in Jan 1988, losing by points after the fight ended in the fifth due to a nasty cut on Tyson from an accidental headbutt)

LHW - Sugar Ray Leonard (controversial win vs Hagler in their rematch)

MW - Frank Tate (he upset the heavily favored Mike McCallum, stopping him on cuts in the 9th)

JMW - John Mugabi (past his prime, but still a "name" fighter and one of my personal favorites)

LW - Hector Camacho (destroyed the aging Alexis Arguello for the title and now wants WBA champ Julio Cesar Chavez in what would be a superfight!)
DJgreen_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJgreen_72 View Post
Thanks...so far my first round of WBO champions include:

HW - Tim Witherspoon (set to defend vs Larry Holmes, who actually survived vs Tyson in Jan 1988, losing by points after the fight ended in the fifth due to a nasty cut on Tyson from an accidental headbutt)
Was it the same circumstances which brought Holmes out of retirement (money) and was he in similar condition (poor) ?

How close was the bout?
bob_bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #23
DJgreen_72
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Was it the same circumstances which brought Holmes out of retirement (money) and was he in similar condition (poor) ?

How close was the bout?
Just as in the real world, there was just too much money on the table for Larry to turn down...outside of Michael Spinks, he was really the biggest name left for Tyson to beat on
(Holyfield was still a Cruiserweight...Foreman was only 4 or 5 fights into his comeback)

I actually lowered the post-prime stats that were in the game, Holmes was listed with an overall rating of 11

I lowered it (overall-9), and the bout itself was pretty one sided...through 4 rounds the score cards were 40-36, 40-36, 40-37...but Larry stayed on his feet the whole time! I'd picture the fight pretty much like their real fight until the 4th...Tyson stalking, throwing bombs and Holmes fighting defensively...ok ok...Holmes running away...a few flashes of the old Larry...an Ali style shuffled of the feet followed by a few quick jabs, but it was only a matter of time before Tyson's power caught him...then in the 4th, the two clinch...a few punches are thrown...heads clash...Tyson walks away with a nasty cut over the right eye! The ref calls accidental headbutt, but there a some that claim it was a punch...the fight is stopped early in the 5th, WBC rules state we go the cards and Tyson retains

Although it would have never happened this way...the WBO is going to try an coax Spinks into fighting the Holmes/Witherspoon winner...Spinks was the lineal champion when he beat Holmes for the IBF belt, he never lost it in the ring (he was stripped of the belt iirc), and while it seems silly now, there were quite a few at the time that thought Spinks was going to beat Tyson when they finally fought

With Tyson out for awhile healing up the wounds, he'll have to sit back and watch the WBO champ walk around claiming to be the "Real World Champ"... Hot headed Tyson is going to want to prove he's the man...can the WBC or Don King hold him back? Would King risk losing his biggest star by preventing him to fight for the WBO title? The WBC/WBA/IBF belts would be rendered meaningless if they failed to recognize the winner of Tyson vs the WBO title holder (Holmes, Witherspoon or most likely Spinks)

Pure fantasy, but a much better scenario than Tyson getting KOed by Buster Douglas and the titles eventually splintering by the mid 90's

Last edited by DJgreen_72; 02-07-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #24
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Although it would have never happened this way...the WBO is going to try an coax Spinks into fighting the Holmes/Witherspoon winner...Spinks was the lineal champion when he beat Holmes for the IBF belt, he never lost it in the ring (he was stripped of the belt iirc), and while it seems silly now, there were quite a few at the time that thought Spinks was going to beat Tyson when they finally fought

With Tyson out for awhile healing up the wounds, he'll have to sit back and watch the WBO champ walk around claiming to be the "Real World Champ"... Hot headed Tyson is going to want to prove he's the man...can the WBC or Don King hold him back? Would King risk losing his biggest star by preventing him to fight for the WBO title? The WBC/WBA/IBF belts would be rendered meaningless if they failed to recognize the winner of Tyson vs the WBO title holder (Holmes, Witherspoon or most likely Spinks)

Pure fantasy, but a much better scenario than Tyson getting KOed by Buster Douglas and the titles eventually splintering by the mid 90's
I think the WBO must have their Heavyweight titleist meet either Spinks or Tyson to gain credibility.

Spinks in probability would have perhaps been easier to entice and once he had fought for WBO title (regardless of win or loss) the title holder would gain linear status - which Jim Jacobs at the time (prior to Tyson-Spinks) acknowledged the significance of.

Jacobs died in 1988, which I assume pre-dates any Tyson vs. WBO titleist in your universe, however Tyson at this point seemed to be a fighting champion and wished to prove his superiority.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #25
DJgreen_72
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I think the WBO must have their Heavyweight titleist meet either Spinks or Tyson to gain credibility.

Spinks in probability would have perhaps been easier to entice and once he had fought for WBO title (regardless of win or loss) the title holder would gain linear status - which Jim Jacobs at the time (prior to Tyson-Spinks) acknowledged the significance of.

Jacobs died in 1988, which I assume pre-dates any Tyson vs. WBO titleist in your universe, however Tyson at this point seemed to be a fighting champion and wished to prove his superiority.
Tim Witherspoon is the current WBO champ. Despite a lackluster performance against James "Buster" Douglas (he was outpunched in a boring fight but won a questionable split decision), 'Spoon showed up for his fight with Holmes. He did what Tyson couldn't do, put Holmes on the canvas (1st rd knock down), Holmes got back up, but Terrible Tim won almost every round. The fight was stopped in the 10th...a dominant TKO victory for Witherspoon due to Holmes' badly swelled right eye. I've decided Spinks vs Witherspoon for the WBO title, as Tyson will be "on the shelf" for a while healing from the nasty cut he got in the Holmes fight. I wonder, in this scenario, would anyone take Tim Witherspoon serious as the "real" world champion if he beats Spinks? Witherspoon was one of those guys who seemed to have a ton of talent, just never could put it all together.

(In an ironic twist, I just watched a documentary about the Ali/Holmes fight. Holmes was a former sparring partner of Ali. Ali came back against the young champ and the fight was...well we all know how that went.
In the documentary, they interview one of Holmes' sparring partners...a young and svelte Tim Witherspoon. If anyone has ESPN classics on demand, it's there, Muhammad and Larry...good watch)

Regardless, Tyson vs the Spinks/Witherspoon winner for the undisputed title by the end of 1988...regardless of what Don King and the WBC have to say about it!

Last edited by DJgreen_72; 02-09-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #26
DJgreen_72
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Finally got to the Spinks - Witherspoon WBO title fight...

Witherspoon is ahead on all three cards through the 8th... 0:02 of round nine 'Spoon quits! He claims it's due to injury (Round 4 - shoulder injury), but I think it was because of the wicked Spinks uppercut in the last seconds of the previous round. Either way, closest I've seen in TBCB to a guy "quitting on the stool"
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #27
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Finally got to the Spinks - Witherspoon WBO title fight...

Witherspoon is ahead on all three cards through the 8th... 0:02 of round nine 'Spoon quits! He claims it's due to injury (Round 4 - shoulder injury), but I think it was because of the wicked Spinks uppercut in the last seconds of the previous round. Either way, closest I've seen in TBCB to a guy "quitting on the stool"
That's the sort of action that most fight fans won't let a boxer forget.

So Spinks vs. Tyson for WBO title.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #28
DJgreen_72
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
That's the sort of action that most fight fans won't let a boxer forget.

So Spinks vs. Tyson for WBO title.

Might be awhile before I get there but yeah...assuming neither get upset in the meanwhile....I think Tony "TNT" Tubbs is the next historical opponent for Tyson

A young unheralded Gary Mason is coming off upset wins over Tony Tucker and an aging Gerry Cooney so he may get the WBO shot...then the "Superfight"